Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 6:50:23 AM EDT

February 27, 2006 - The Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs, Inc. (ANJRPC) announced that it has commenced a lawsuit against the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and one of its police officers for wrongfully arresting and imprisoning for nearly five days a 57-year old Utah man delayed at Newark Airport by a baggage error while traveling from Utah to Pennsylvania.

The lawsuit seeks more than $3 million in damages for civil rights violations and a permanent injunction forcing the Port Authority to follow Federal law on interstate transport of locked, unloaded firearms that have been secured in luggage and declared by law-abiding citizens.

The Utah man, Gregg Revell, a real estate broker and family man with no criminal record and a Utah firearms permit, was flying alone from Salt Lake City, UT to Allentown, PA to retrieve a car he bought and drive it home. He was travelling with a firearm for personal protection. As required by Federal law, the firearm was unloaded, cased, locked and inside his luggage when he declared it at check-in in Salt Lake City on March 31, 2005.

Due to an airline-caused baggage error, Mr. Revell missed his connection from Newark to Allentown and had to stay overnight in New Jersey. When he checked in at Newark Airport the next morning to complete his travels, he again declared his firearm, as required by FAA regulations. He was then arrested for possession of a firearm without a New Jersey state license, and imprisoned in Essex County jail for five days until his family arranged bail, which had been initially set unusually high at $15,000 cash (no bond).

But Mr. Revell’s travels were protected by the Firearms Owner Protection Act, a Federal law passed in 1986 to protect law-abiding citizens who travel with firearms. (See 18 U.S.C. § 926A.) That law trumps state and local gun laws and protects interstate travel with firearms under certain circumstances, all of which were present in Mr. Revell’s case. Several months after the arrest, all charges were withdrawn and the prosecutor’s case administratively dismissed.

"The Port Authority blatantly violated Federal law when it arrested Gregg Revell," said Scott Bach, President of the Association of New Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clubs and a member of the NRA Board of Directors. "Those charged with enforcing the law have a special responsibility to follow it themselves," Bach continued. "Mr. Revell’s arrest is part of a pattern of similar misconduct by the Port Authority throughout the New York-New Jersey metropolitan areas."

"This lawsuit is intended to send a signal not only to the Port Authority but to every agency and officer responsible for policing our airports and highways: if you violate the rights of law-abiding gun owners, you will be held fully accountable." The lawsuit also names the arresting Port Authority police officer, Scott Erickson, as a defendant.

Once inside Essex County prison, Mr. Revell was subjected to numerous atrocities. He was thrown into a holding cell with 28 inmates, many of whom were admitted murderers and rapists. He endured a repulsive vomit-covered bed and toilet, was denied his blood pressure and migraine medication, innoculated against his will, given inedible food, strip-searched, and left only with his wits to survive.

"I did nothing wrong yet was arrested and subjected to the worst treatment imaginable for almost a week," said Mr. Revell, who has 8 children, 8 grandchildren and has been married for 36 years. "I brought this lawsuit together with the Association of New Jersey Rifle & Pistol Clubs because I want to stop this kind of abuse from ever happening again," said Revell. "No one should ever have to experience what I experienced," he said. "I paid the price, but I’m committed to making sure no one else does."

Coppy of the Complaint
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for posting this. I'm sending a donation to the ANJRPC to support this lawsuit.

www.anjrpc.org/wheretocall2005.htm
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Coppy of the Complaint

>>PRAYER FOR RELIEF
WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs pray for relief as follows:
1) Award damages in an amount to be determined at trial, but not
less than $3,100,000, to Plaintiff Revell.
2) Order Defendants Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (and
its agents and employees) and Scott Erickson to return the firearm,
holster, locks, hard case containers, and ammunition seized from him.
3) Enjoin Defendants Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and
Scott Erickson from enforcing N.J.S. § 2C:39-5(b) and N.J.S. § 2C:39-
3(f) against its members who are entitled to transport a firearm and
ammunition through New Jersey pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 926A.
4) Award attorneys' fees and costs pursuant to 42 U.S.C. § 1988.
4) Grant such other relief as the interests of justice require.
TRIAL BY JURY IS DEMANDED.
Respectfully submitted,
GREGG C. REVELL
and
ASSOCIATION OF NEW JERSEY
RIFLE & PISTOL CLUBS, INC.
(Scott L. Bach, President)
By counsel
Richard E. Gardiner
Lead Counsel

Evan Nappen
Local Counsel<<

I hope Evan Nappen makes the Port Authority bleed out the asshole on this one.
Unconscienable what they did to this guy.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Good for him. I hope he gets a windfall!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Whisky19

+eleventybillion

That was some stupid shit that went on.  I'm absolutely sick of NJ's complete disprespect for the 2nd amendment rights of the law-abiding citizens of the United States of America.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#7]
And to think I used to think NJ was a great place to live....until I got into guns that is....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
DEFINETELY thanks for posting this. I hope they get their asses handed to them!

Harassnebt of law-abiding citizens is UNCALLED for and should be SEVERLY punished, maybe if they pay out enough $$ taxes will increse enough that the citizens will vote in some politicians who MAKE SENSE!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:04:06 PM EDT
[#9]
wow.
donation sent to  ANJRPC !
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope they sue the AirLines also
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:35:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Amen......
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Donation sent also.

Was wondering, where is the NRA in this matter?  I was wondering if it would do any good for them to join in also.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:51:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Good for him. I hope he gets a windfall!!!

....and becomes a Patron Saint @ NJCSD.

Sorry M1-Matt-

HOT NEWS: Scott BACH, member of NJCSD as of yesterday!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#15]
NJ is easily the most corrupt state in the Union.   The Blue Mafia literally gets away with murder in this state.  This man will get very little, if any, money out of this.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
NJ is easily the most corrupt state in the Union.

+87
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
NJ is easily the most corrupt state in the Union.   The Blue Mafia literally gets away with murder in this state.  This man will get very little, if any, money out of this.  

If this were being tried at the state level, I'd agree....but it's being tried in federal court so there's a good chance of the Port Authority getting bent over the bench.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
NJ is easily the most corrupt state in the Union.

+87

I think Louisiana is the most corrupt and NJ is #2
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Don't worry. Before Corsucks' term ends NJ will be in first place once again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top