Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 6:14:05 PM EDT
I have a few questions regarding carrying a gun in NJ.  I realize that NJ will not give private citizens a CCL.  However, can a private citizen legally transport and bring a handgun into a hotel room where they are staying?  I have to travel to North Jersey on businss and would like to have my Glock 19 with me in my hotel room.  I would of course transport the gun properly (unloaded and in the trunk).  

My other question regardins carrying a handgun when camping.  Does NJ allow campers to bring handguns in camp grounds (private or state run)?  Finally, can a NJ citizen legally carry a gun in PA if they file the appropriate documents?  I would like to bring my handgun when the family goes camping in case we encounter bears.  

Thanks.
Ken
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a few questions regarding carrying a gun in NJ.  I realize that NJ will not give private citizens a CCL.  However, can a private citizen legally transport and bring a handgun into a hotel room where they are staying?  I have to travel to North Jersey on businss and would like to have my Glock 19 with me in my hotel room.  I would of course transport the gun properly (unloaded and in the trunk).  

risky area.  if you had to use it there would be an immense amount of explaining to do to people in expensive suits behind big desks.  NJ law for transport basically says "on your way to or from the range", so no joy there.

Quoted:
My other question regardins carrying a handgun when camping.  Does NJ allow campers to bring handguns in camp grounds (private or state run)?

no.  sharpen a stick.

Quoted:
Finally, can a NJ citizen legally carry a gun in PA if they file the appropriate documents?  I would like to bring my handgun when the family goes camping in case we encounter bears.  

you need a non-resident PA carry permit.
you will not be able to get one as a NJ resident.  it's twisted, i know.
you can, however, get a FL CCW permit, which PA will honor.
prepare to have the mother of all explanations ready when required -- like when you get pulled over for speeding in PA while you are carrying with your FL CCW.

www.packing.org/ is your friend.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Basically if you need to defend yourself in NJ, punch yourself in the head repeatedly to save the criminal the time and effort.

Other than that, get a FL CCW permit and carry while in PA.  Yes, I wouldn't want to explain it to a PA cop, but it's legal.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
How do I get a Florida CCW?  Do I have to be a resident or can I simply apply from out of state?  I do have family in Fl if that helps.

Ken
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How do I get a Florida CCW?  Do I have to be a resident or can I simply apply from out of state?  I do have family in Fl if that helps.
Ken

Quoted:
www.packing.org/ is your friend.

specifically,
www.packing.org/state/florida/

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ready, Aim, Fire in Bristol, PA hosts classes which satisfy the requirements for the FL CCW, plus take your picture and fingerprints.  If you already fulfill the requirements you're just as well off to get the pictures and fingerprints yourself.  You can also take these classes at many gunshows.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Travelling with Firearms
By Scott L. Bach

The Firearms Owner Protection Act (18 U.S.C. § 926A) – “FOPA” for short – was passed by Congress in 1986 to address abuses of gun laws from various states resulting in prosecution and imprisonment of peaceable gun owners travelling with firearms.

FOPA pre-empts state law and provides that if it is lawful for a traveller to possess firearms at both the points of departure and destination, then it is lawful to transport firearms anywhere in between during the course of travel – regardless of what local law says in the intervening states.

In order for FOPA to apply, the firearm must be unloaded and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported can be “readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle.” In vehicles without a trunk, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It must also be lawful for the traveller to possess firearms in the two jurisdictions where the travel begins and ends. Careful consideration of laws in both jurisdictions is advisable. Since local laws vary widely, there are no universally applicable guidelines. NRA-ILA publishes pamphlets analyzing the firearms laws of all 50 states, available online.

Some courts have held that the travel must be relatively prompt and direct in order for FOPA to apply, without undue delay in the course of travel other than as reasonably necessary.

FOPA’s existence does not mean that local law enforcement will necessarily disregard local laws prohibiting possession and transportation of firearms. Many local police are not even aware of FOPA’s existence (it’s a good idea to have a copy of the law with you). In states like New Jersey, nonresidents with firearms are regularly arrested and prosecuted for local law violations. When the matter is finally sorted out in court, FOPA (if properly complied with) will be an absolute defense, but that is little consolation when an otherwise law-abiding citizen is arrested and imprisoned pending a hearing.  

FOPA applies to all modes of transport. But airports in some anti-gun jurisdictions have become troublesome, where local police have disregarded FOPA and arrested travellers at check-in when declaring their firearms as required by FAA regulations. NRA is working to address this issue, and recently obtained a formal interpretation from the U.S. Attorney General addressing the problem. (For a PDF reproduction of this letter, click here.)

Scott L. Bach is Executive Vice President of ANJRPC and an NRA Director

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The ANJRPC presently has a lawsuit against the Port authority for arresting a man who had to overnight in Newark because of a missed airline connection.  He had a declared handgun in his luggage, as required by federal law.  He was held without charges for seven days and then released when the charges that were finally filed, were immediately dismissed.  the suit is to force the Port Authority to follow Federal Law.

ANJRPC

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
we encounter bears.  

Thanks.
Ken

I don't think a Glock 19 will stop a bear.  Am no expert but I've read a few article on it.

Cain1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:24:57 AM EDT
[#9]
New York generally ignores the protections of 18 U.S.C. § 926A as it relates to the possession of a an unlicensed handgun in NYS. There are some exceptions in the NY PL for competitive shooters and coaches while attending an organized competitive event. If you are just passing through either at an airport or in a MV you are subject to being arrested and prosecuted for possessing an unlicensed handgun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:08:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
we encounter bears.  
Thanks.
Ken

I don't think a Glock 19 will stop a bear.  Am no expert but I've read a few article on it.
Cain1

if you only have a handgun and are attacked by a bear, follow these simple steps:

1) shoot the nearest person to you in the knee.
2) start running.

done right, you can defend against bears this way with just a .22LR revolver.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
we encounter bears.  
Thanks.
Ken

Cain1

if you only have a handgun and are attacked by a bear, follow these simple steps:

1) shoot the nearest person to you in the knee.
2) start running.

done right, you can defend against bears this way with just a .22LR revolver.

ar-jedi

This really does work...Trust me
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top