Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:38:43 AM EDT
I sent Impact Guns an email about a month ago and fianlly got a response about the legality of the FS2000 here in NY.  They said it should be legal, according to their info, but the FS2k appears to have both a flash hider and a rifle grenade launcher.  I was going to write it off as illegal, but I don't know now.  What about buying it through a gunsmith who can remove the flash hider and grenade rings? Can anyone set the record straight?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:08:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
They have a picture in the Armory from the Shot Show.  February 9th, last pic, "Returning for a hands on."  
The image is large, so I won't put it here.
Also, from impactguns.com:
http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/fn/FNH_CB_FS2000_Right.jpg
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
FN said the ps90 had a muzzle brake and it is already for sale in New York.

FN says the Fs2000 also has muzzle brake.  

Should be g2g, no?

http://www.fnhusa.com/contents/cb_fs2000.htm
--cut and pasted--

FS2000 SEMI-AUTO CARBINE
The FN FS2000 is a compact, reliable and accurate semi-auto only carbine with a 17.4" civilian-legal barrel and is suitable for security, personal defense or competition. The gas-operated system fires a wide variety of 223 Rem. (5.56x45mm NATO) ammunition fed from standard M16-style magazines. Fired cases are ejected through a forward port away from the operator. The FS2000 sports adjustable iron sights and a top-mounted M1913 rail for mounting optical, electronic or laser sighting systems. An angled-face muzzle brake helps minimize recoil.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, it uses standard AR15 mags, so there's plenty to go around!  The one in the rifle is a FN-made 10 rounder, but it was designed to use AR15 mags.

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
i thought the rifle was good to sell in NY as-is because the only evil feature was the flash hider?  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could afford one. I would love to see the looks on the anti-gunners faces when they see this one...muahahahahahahaha . And perfectly legal too!

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, the cases eject on the right side out of the gap under the front sight.  The forearm is modular, and you can probably get one later on with a rail for a light or a foregrip.  There are only two problems I have: one is the olive drab color.  I'll take my rifles in any color, as long as they're black.  Two, the rifle has an estimated MSRP of $2200.  You'd probably be lucky to find one for less than $2000 considering the demand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I would hope to think that's not considered a pistol grip, looks like a thumbhole stock to me.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would hope to think that's not considered a pistol grip, looks like a thumbhole stock to me.

from what ive heard a thumbhole=pistol grip in NY...

conflicting reports on this issue, refer to my post about the AK74 build I was planning on getting...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:43:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

from what ive heard a thumbhole=pistol grip in NY....

Really? That's news to me.

How can a thumbhole stock be considered a pistol grip?

Oh wait, we're talking about NY here.

If something doesn't make sense, then its probably the case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from what ive heard a thumbhole=pistol grip in NY....

Really? That's news to me.

How can a thumbhole stock be considered a pistol grip?

Oh wait, we're talking about NY here.

If something doesn't make sense, then its probably the case.

basically...

according to the state police and pistol permit bureau , it doesnt constitute a pistol grip, but an old ATF ruling during the AW ban explained it as being a pistol grip....  and being we have a carbon copy of the old federal ban....

laws are confusing as hell and shitty overall here in NY...it sucks
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I also emailed Impact Guns and was told that they were not making a post ban model but barrel end can be changed to be legal in New Jersey. Were FS2000 listed on the NJ banned list?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
according to the state police and pistol permit bureau , it doesnt constitute a pistol grip, but an old ATF ruling during the AW ban explained it as being a pistol grip....  and being we have a carbon copy of the old federal ban....

Unless you have a formal written opinion from the NY Attorney General's office or a written opinion from the NYSP Legal Division that covers a specific stock affixed to a specific receiver that they have personally examined I wouldn't place too much weight on the info you received. You also need to keep in mind that there are hundreds of LE agencies in NY and what may be OK in one agency will get you cuffed and stuffed by another agency. If you ever have the misfortune of being prosecuted for possession of an AW  keep in mind the Judge and/or jurors are not going to be firearm experts. They will look at the stock and if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.

Even though the Federal AWB is no longer in effect the prior opinions and rulings of the ATF will still be useful to either the prosecution or defense in determining whether your rifle is an assault weapon under the NYS AWB.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Since the muzzle device is a muzzle brake as per FN.  Even if the thumbhole grip is considered a pistol grip (evil feature) the features count would still only be 1.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Since the muzzle device is a muzzle brake as per FN.  Even if the thumbhole grip is considered a pistol grip (evil feature) the features count would still only be 1.  

Yeah, without the flash hider it has (possibly) only one assault weapon feature.  Plus, the weapon is OD green, and a lot of guys and I agreed that we think FNHUSA did this specifically so it would look to be more "sporting" rather than evil and black, though word is they're going to offer all black versions later.  I really think they're trying to make it fit under the already sunset federal ban as a "just in case it happens again" rifle, which is good for us, because it's a damn fine looking spacegun IMO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I also emailed Impact Guns and was told that they were not making a post ban model but barrel end can be changed to be legal in New Jersey. Were FS2000 listed on the NJ banned list?

It's bran spanking new, so they probably haven't been able to add it to the laws yet, but just in case, I checked the NRA-ILA site for NJ, and it isn't listed.  The only FN rifles that are listed are the FN-FAL, FN-LAR, and FN-FNC types.  The FS2000 is totally different in both mechanical workings and configuration to those three listed, not to mention it is slightly different than it's F2000 military cousin.  *knocking on wood* you should be good to go, but I wouldn't trust a NY'er on this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you have a formal written opinion from the NY Attorney General's office or a written opinion from the NYSP Legal Division that covers a specific stock affixed to a specific receiver that they have personally examined I wouldn't place too much weight on the info you received. You also need to keep in mind that there are hundreds of LE agencies in NY and what may be OK in one agency will get you cuffed and stuffed by another agency. If you ever have the misfortune of being prosecuted for possession of an AW  keep in mind the Judge and/or jurors are not going to be firearm experts. They will look at the stock and if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.

Even though the Federal AWB is no longer in effect the prior opinions and rulings of the ATF will still be useful to either the prosecution or defense in determining whether your rifle is an assault weapon under the NYS AWB.

i know this by now haha...  call 3 diff places /troops/ offices/ agencies...and you normally get 3 different answers..

play it safe, dont buy any guns
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll definitely get one of this.... I have been considering the Bushy M17 for a long time but always ended up getting another AR....Dammmit
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:15:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I sent the Regional Sales Manager for FNUSA a paragraph long email asking about whether he knew if the FS2000 would be legal for us here, because I assumed if anyone would know, he would.  He replied: "It is because the PS90 is."

So the moral of the story is, I need to start gathering up some spare change.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Add another to my list..  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
The $20,000 question is: Is it legal in New York CITY?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:05:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

How come?  Does NYC treat thumbhole as a pistol grip?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

So this is NJ legal as long as 15 round blocked mags are used....does that sound right?

Hep
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NO!

How come?  Does NYC treat thumbhole as a pistol grip?

It is a semi-auto that can take hicap mags.

NYC law doesn't work that way though, it just has a list of named weapons and an evil feature list, of which you are allowed to have ZERO features.  There is a separate ban for hicap mags, but 5-rd AR mags do exist.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:22:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So this is NJ legal as long as 15 round blocked mags are used....does that sound right?

Hep

Anyone on the NJ question?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top