Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2006 5:17:03 PM EDT
What are the laws concerning transporting an AR15 pre-ban Sporter Target model through NYC?

I go to an indoor range in Rockland but would also like to go to an outdoor range in Long Island. The guy at the Rockland range told me NEVER to transport through NYC b/c if I get stopped, I'm screwed.

Can someone let me know.

THANKS!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:26:54 PM EDT
From what I see in here you should be OK, but people can be assholes so who knows.

www.nraila.org/GunLaws/FederalGunLaws.aspx?ID=56
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:00:48 AM EDT
Your guys in Rockland should only dispense legal advice when they know what they are talking about.

If you are not a NYC resident, an assault rifle can be transported through the City of New York so long as it is in a locked hard sided case during the transit. In fact, the exemption gives up to 24 hours for you to transport your AW.

If your gun is in a locked car trunk, unloaded, you are probably OK. An added measure of safety can be obtained by putting the gun in a gun case that locks within the trunk. Then if you get a flat tire on the Cross Bronx you won't be violating the AWB when you retrieve your spare tire by opening the trunk.

Some more helpful info can be found at the AR15.com NYC gun laws FAQ, which is here.
Top Top