Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 5:51:34 AM EDT
Could I put a handguard like shown here on my OA98.

How about a brake.

I was told has long as I do not put a verticle grip on the front I am OK

www.triplebreakproducts.com/
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:18:14 AM EDT
[#1]
According to the NYS AWB, a semi auto pistol is considered an "Assault Weapon" if it has 2 of these "evil features":

-Magazine outside the grip
-Threaded barrel
-A shroud around the barrel that allows you to "hold the barrel without being burned"
-A manufactured weight over 50oz
-Is a copy of an automatic weapon.

Since you already have the mag outside the grip you can't add another feature. The handguard would be a "shroud" by the definition in the law. I believe a brake would be fine as long as it was permanently attached or didn't use threads to attach.

See: NY Gun Laws
Article 265.22.(c)

Mike

I'm not a lawyer, didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn recently.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I read that and figure it only makes it into an Assault weapon but I do not see where it says NOT LEGAL. I figure all it does is make it into an Assault Pistol . Since I would not put a verticle grip on it I would not have a AOW.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That's down in section 265.02.(7):

A person is guilty of criminal posession of a weapon in the 3rd degree when:
(7) Such person posesses an assault weapon.

Of course if it's a pre-ban (before 9/14/94), you're OK. I assumed that it's not a preban since you didn't state it, but if that's the case, sorry for the misdirection.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top