Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 6:58:42 AM EDT
I live in Herkimer country, just submitted the paperwork yesterday.  I know it says 4-6 months, but how long does it really take?  I've heard of guys getting it in 2 or 3 months...

BTW, this process is a  BITCH....i've been fingerprinted more than a criminal, literally....
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine took 10 months in 1996
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Took me over 12 months. DO NOT call them and ask about it... they'll just delay it further.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Mine took exactly a year - but I'm a permanent resident. The INS check took 6 months according to the investigating officer. Unfortunately a year seems to be pretty normal now for US citizens (Clinton Cty).
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I submitted mine on August 10, still nothing and closing in on 6 months pretty quickly...
getting fingerprinted in Monroe County is a pain in arse. plan on waiting a good whileHerkimer, I've stayed at the KOA there a few years ago...There was a great Ice Cream/Pizza place katy-corner to the Wally world if I am correct near "downtown" Herkimer...nice enough place.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Putnam said up to four months but had the permit to me in less than two.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Bleh...well that's all very disappointing...here's to hoping i get it before too long...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Mine took 6 months 2 years ago in Nassau County.  My wife's is now 8 months and counting.
They just want you to hear these horror stories so you won't go in and apply and they can eat donuts ALL day.  Stick it out !
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Mine took 2.5 months, and I was shocked that I received it so quickly! Most of my references had pistol licenses, I've often wondered if that helped me. My investigating officer was pretty cool. The application process is a pain though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:32:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, i'm definitely going to stick it out.  Get this tho- I have a security clearance from the Army (as is required for all officers) and even that doesn't count for the backround check! I guess i can be trusted with our nation's finest men and women (not to mentional millions of dollars worth of ordnance, weapons and equipment) but not a Kimber .45....
eeesh
I NY
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mine took 2.5 months, and I was shocked that I received it so quickly! Most of my references had pistol licenses, I've often wondered if that helped me. My investigating officer was pretty cool. The application process is a pain though.

Where in NY?  What county?  Have long does Suffolk county usually take?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had a TS since 1984, updated every 5 or 6 years.  No matter. 6 months.  and they called not a single reference, not a single neighbor or coworker.  They called me and spoke to my wife while I stood over her.  Of course, Mohammed Atta would have had to have waited 6 months too I suppose...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

My Suffolk county permit took 1 day short of seven months.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Suffolk County. Seriously, I have no clue how I got it so quickly. I thought it would take at least 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:34:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I got mine in <3 months in Chautauqua
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]
2 1/2 months Ulster County four years ago.  Pretty gun friendly county.  You can purchase a handgun,  go to the sherif,  get your coupon and go back and pick up the gun on the same day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Ulster had my application on Feb 22, I had my permit by the end of June.  Most of the time it was in Federal hands, the judge approved it within 1 day, unrestricted!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:12:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I received my permit for Schenectady Co in under 3 months about 2 years ago.  Theres been a dramatic increase in the number of permit applications over the last 2 years, and my buddy received his in just over 3 months.  The judge who resides now (differnet from the one who signed my permit) is in my opinion very progun.

Schenectady Co has streamlined the process.  Inital permits are on the original thin paper, but after you pick up a new handgun they issue you two new plastic cards, one with your permit, and a second one listing your handguns.  Also, the new judge no longer requires the additions to go before her, she simply has authorized the permit clerk to make the authorizations, provided the NICS and permit are current.  So instead of taking a week, and as in my wifes recent addition, its now 98% same day.

Also, based upon the "Judge's discretion" rule, writing a nice letter asking/giving reasons for the hunting and target restrictions be removed after some time, will now be addressed
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Can you elaborate a little on this? I have a restricted permit and would be interested in getting them removed.

Quoted:
Also, based upon the "Judge's discretion" rule, writing a nice letter asking/giving reasons for the hunting and target restrictions be removed after some time, will now be addressed

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Sure Sgt. check your IM
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Can you elaborate a little on this? I have a restricted permit and would be interested in getting them removed.

Schedule an appointment with the issuing judge to present your argument why the restrictions should be lifted.
I tried that 15 years ago with mine, but it didn't do any good. The overstamp is still there. That judge is gone now, so I am considering trying again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Suffolk County. Seriously, I have no clue how I got it so quickly. I thought it would take at least 6 months.

Is Yapank (police headquarters) the only place to pickup the application?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife's character reference just got a call (Nassau County PD)
8 months and 2 days and who knows when the postcard actually comes.
Grin and bear it though, the only game in town.
Give little people the illusion of power and they take to it like our politicians.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:35:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in Dutchess county.  Mine took right at 6 months in 2003.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yaphank for the western 5 towns served by SCPD and the sheriff's office in Riverhead for the rest of the county.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]

As far as I know you can pick up the application at the front desk of any Suffolk PD precinct.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

As far as I know you can pick up the application at the front desk of any Suffolk PD precinct.

Yes you can pick it up at any precinct. Has anyone seen the new application?  It's only the front & back of 1 page to fill out. Everything else is done on the computer when you go for the interview. Including photos.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Nassau County is still in the Stone Age.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Monroe County, 3 months and waiting patiently. ..
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Damn it! Doesn't sound like I should even apply in Westchester County.

Here is my situation:

In 1997, when I was 17, I was caught with a loaded illegal gun in NYC after a fist fight. Stupid, I know. I pled guilty. The judge agreed to SEAL the case b/c of my age and I served 5 years on probation.

In the final 6 months of my probation, my X-girlfriend and I got into an argument and I broke up with her. She then called the cops and told them I hit her to screw up my probation. They arrested me eventhough they knew it was BS. The week before that her mother and I admitted her into an insane ward at the hospital b/c she tried to commit suicide--because I broke up with her. Needless to say, the case against me was dismissed.

I never so much as got a speeding ticket in my life or ever did anything but be a law abiding citizen and pay my taxes on time before and after that.

My family just bought a house in Westchester County so I was hoping to get a handgun license and own a handgun legally.

I'll be joining the Marines at the end of this year and I wanted to hone my handgun skills before that. I just bought my first AR15 and would like to have a handgun to practice with also.

What do you guys think? Guaranteed denial? Should I bother applying. It's $10 for the app, $99 for the processing, and $10 for the fingerprinting. The 12 pages of forms are sitting right in front of me on my desk.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:46:25 AM EDT
[#30]
IIRC, in Westchester you have to show proof of residency going back six months, THEN you can apply. Under normal circumstances it takes 3-5 months (2-3 weeks for retired LEO!)

The illegal gun is probably going to sink you, sealed records are not. Also, given that you "violated" the terms of your probation a mere three + years ago, that's going to be a red herring....since the probation ended when you were an "Adult" (22 yrs old).

At the risk of being a party pooper, if the (primary) reason why you are getting a permit is to hone your skills for the marines, don't.

/ml
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:23:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Were you granted Youthful Offender status and your conviction(s) vacated? This is critical. You need to get certified copies of all your dispositions from the court if you don't already have them.

See this thread for more info: Help getting NYS (Westchester) pistol permit with a record

I'll bump it up so it doesn't go missing.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
At the risk of being a party pooper, if the (primary) reason why you are getting a permit is to hone your skills for the marines, don't.

Hey, you're not a party pooper. I asked and I want to know your honest opinion. I'm glad you shared it. Well, I also enjoy shooting. I've always enjoyed it. It's relaxing/exciting/fun all at the same time. Living in NYC all my life made it hard to own one legally. And whenever the oppurtunity to go shooting or hunting arose, I jumped at the chance and still do. I go to a public range in Rockland but I can't afford to continuously pay for range time/rental/expensive ammo.

Not to mention after all the chaos that went on in New Orleans after the floods, it would be a good idea to have access to a legal firearm for protection of you and your family. There were women being raped, people beaten, and even killed in the streets of New Orleans and I for one would not sit idlely for that type of behavior. I stand behind LEOs for protection (my buddy is a cop) but they can't be everywhere all the time, especially in disaster situations.

If you really think it's a waste of my time, maybe I'll give it a shot when I get back from the Marines...in 5 years. LOL. h=85%

Quoted:
Were you granted Youthful Offender status and your conviction(s) vacated? This is critical. You need to get certified copies of all your dispositions from the court if you don't already have them.

I'm positive I was granted youthful offender status but unsure if my conviction was vacated. When I was arrested the 2nd time, the detective had no idea that I was ever arrested until I told him I was on probation.

How do I get the dispostions in NYC? I already sent out the e-mail requesting the Record Review Packet. I'm going to send out the FBI Identification request tonight as well.

----------note----------
I'm not leaving for Recruit Training until Dec'06/Jan'07 so I can get in more college credits. During this year, I'll have to figure out whether I'm going full time or Reserve. If I go Reserve I'll still be in the area most of the time and would definitely want to have my PL.

I also wanted to say THANKS to you guys for all the help!

rkbar15 gets a special THANKS for all the info!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm positive I was granted youthful offender status but unsure if my conviction was vacated. When I was arrested the 2nd time, the detective had no idea that I was ever arrested until I told him I was on probation.

How do I get the dispostions in NYC? I already sent out the e-mail requesting the Record Review Packet. I'm going to send out the FBI Identification request tonight as well.

If you were granted Y.O. status then your conviction was vacated and replaced with a Y.O. finding. I don't know what the military asks for or requires but you're likely to need certified dispositions for them as well.

Follow the instructions here to get a "Certificate of Disposition" from the NYC Criminal Court system.  

www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/criminal/faqs.shtml#rap%20sheet%20copy
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:41:37 PM EDT
[#34]
I live outside Richfield Springs, in Otsego County. My concealed carry permit took 44 days in 2002. Otsego Co. has a VERY gun friendly sherrif and signing judge. Both soon to retire, unfortunatly. All permit apps are automaticly concealed carry, unlike Herkimer county. Good luck, a friend of mine (in Ilion) with a squeeky clean record, but a very common name has been waiting for 13+ months so far....
BIGJim223
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - How long to get Pistol Permit in NY?
Page Hometown » New York
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top