Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 8:29:33 PM EDT
Guys how slim of a chance is there to get a FFL  without a storefront.?

i consider myself a big Collector, rarely sell a item ,  But would love to buy/sell making a few bucks to support my hobby....

i realize the days are gone of many individuals having a FFL.,,,,,,,,,is there no chance ?

id think about getting a tiny storefront,  but nothing is cheap here on LI.....

any advice ?

thanks, Joezeta
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not an ATF requirement.  The need for a business premise is driven by local zoning requirements only.

In rural areas, it's quite common to have home based FFLs.  On Long Island, it's unheard of as far as I know -- I can't categorically speak as to zoning in all long island towns, but if town/village/city zoning does not permit it, it ain't gonna happen.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Anyone with a small store looking for a Partner ??  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
HR, I agree you need to be legitimately engaged in business to get a FFL, but joezeta seems to have the requisite intent here -- "would love to buy/sell making a few bucks to support my hobby...."

However, LI zoning is almost certain to knock him out of a home based business.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:16:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone with a small store looking for a Partner ??  

I want to open a store.  I found a building for sale that would be perfect, it is a long building that would have a store on one end and an indoor range on the other.   It is just outside of town and not in the greatest location.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#9]
"By appointment only" does not cut the mustard.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
My friend use to have an FFL and used his detached garage as his business location. My current FFL converted his basement and uses it as his business location. He does have a separate entrance though.  He doesn't stock any guns for sale and only does transfers or custom orders.

I seriously doubt that NC or SC would give you a license to operate a business which I believe you would need in addition to your FFL and zoning variance. If you wanted to deal in handguns you would also need a handgun dealers license.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Guys, this is what i would do IF i ever got a FFL...

Id mainly Specialize in Military Semi autos ie:  "Prebans"  most likely cherry pick deals on-line  and sell here in NY for a Small profit.   Anyone ever see prebans forsale at our NY Gunshows?   There Ridiculous to say the least.......$2,000 AR's , most of which are illegal, ive seen illegal AK folders , etc....alot of crap with silly prices.

Lets say i picked up a Clean Colt SP1 online for say $800,  Priced it hear in NY for 1000,   Quick , simple turnover,  not Gouge like most all the dealers ive seen here in NY....

Id also Do Transfers along with place orders from customers who have say Shotgun News/gunlist and  add small mark-up to the cost....This is a good  Service to make shooting/collecting more affordable.

In my other Hobby of collecting Vintage Toys, i sometimes become involved in Estate Sales/cleanouts and have had chances to purchase guns in bulk.  Ive passed because i want to do it legally..and not have to worry about being called a "dealer"  with no license.. im not looking to be Big time or have alot of overhead, no "employees"   just me and my computer  and  $  of course to start playing....I have a large personal collection and it can be very expensive at times.  This would be away to make it easier along with the fun of getting to handle alot of different weapons...

Probably a far fetched idea here on long island.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:59:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been trying for almost 5 yrs now. Zoneing is one problem for me not to mention not being able to do it out of my home.

Even if my Garage was set-up with the machine's and safe guarded like fort knox the Town turned me down. The only good thing was they said they would help me locate a store and tell me who to go to for ASmall Business Loans and Instruction. I was very shocked at that statement from them. Since I could not afford a store I put it on hold.

I still have all the FFL paper work at home along with a C&R form if I wanted to go that route.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I was starting to look into it for gunsmithing. I do the cylinders throating now where I only work on the cylinders, not the guns. I wanted to do specialized gunsmithing, two things only. Forcing cones and Taylor throats. I don't need a shop or a store. Low demand, low profit. So I'm pretty much S.O.L. between the county and the Feds it really isn't worth it, even without the "storefront" BS.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#16]
It's impossible to work on pistols in NYS without a FFL because you need a gunsmith license to possess pistols under repair that are on someone else's license.  Otherwise, it's Criminal Possession for each gun you have in your shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top