Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 3:07:44 PM EDT
Silver didn't get his way today with the governor, so he's going to keep pushing his gun grabbing agenda in January's sessions.

Here's what he said today.

" December 21, 2005

Statement On Gun Legislation

Our three-way agreement on legislation to combat illegal gun trafficking and dramatically increase penalties for gun crimes against law-enforcement officers is critical in our efforts to help protect those who are sworn to protect us. Today's agreement also institutes mandatory life without parole for killing a police officer and dramatically increases penalties for a range of other violent and threatening crimes committed against law enforcement officials. But, it is only a first step.

While we have locked the front door on gun traffickers, the NRA's influence in Albany keeps the back door open. Therefore, the Assembly's fight to enact comprehensive, truly effective legislation to safeguard communities across New York State continues. Our job is not finished.

In the opening days of the 2006 legislative session, the Assembly will again advance our comprehensive package of bills aimed at stopping the type of gun violence that has taken the lives of some 7,000 New Yorkers since 1999.

New York's law-enforcement community still faces a very real threat at the hands of violent criminals. How can we continue to send law-enforcement officers into the path of danger armed with bullet-proof vests, while continuing to allow deadly "cop-killer" bullets on the streets? One hundred and forty-three police and sheriff's departments from across the state support this common sense measure.

The Assembly Majority is also seeking to enlist the support of responsible gun dealers in the war against illegal weapons. We will continue to urge the adoption of effective measures to prevent guns from being diverted from the legal stream of commerce to individuals who are not legally entitled to possess life-threatening weapons. The People's House will call on the governor and the Senate to set aside their strident support for the NRA - particularly when it flies in the face of public safety - and support measures that call for all employees engaged in the retail sale of guns to be at least 21 years of age and to receive adequate training and that weapons be displayed, stored and shipped in a secure manner. These comprehensive measures also were proposed and supported by state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, to stop guns from coming into the hands of criminals.

New York's gun laws will only go so far to curb gun violence so long as the patchwork of state laws across our nation continues to create loopholes that allow vast quantities of weapons to be purchased legally and transported elsewhere. The Assembly will continue to urge the United States Congress to pass legislation to give law-enforcement officers the laws and resources needed to pursue gun traffickers and investigate the sources of all illegal guns.

While this special session has provided an important opportunity to punish those who engage in violence, we have much more to do to prevent these crimes and protect those who protect us and place themselves at risk to make our streets safer."
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
One hundred and forty-three police and sheriff's departments from across the state support this common sense measure.

Thats not many out of the total in the state. He should name the ones that do so they can be held accountable and questioned for their support.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:23:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One hundred and forty-three police and sheriff's departments from across the state support this common sense measure.

Thats not many out of the total in the state. He should name the ones that do so they can be held accountable and questioned for their support.

I believe that NYSRPA has the list available.

I really think that after Spitzer is in as Governor, we'll be lucky to be allowed to have a .22 rifle at home.  He wants to do (among other things) limit each of us to 9 legal rifles, and what will be legal will be very few.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Silver also wants gun shops to have $1,000,000 liability policies. My gun shop has none right now, and can barely survive in the shadow of Gander Mountain.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
What the fuck does "cop killer bullets" mean this week?  Last time I checked hollowpoints fare worse against soft body armor than ball does.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What the fuck does "cop killer bullets" mean this week?  Last time I checked hollowpoints fare worse against soft body armor than ball does.

I think it's any frangible, "defender", or steel penetrator round. The assembly passed a ban on those in April, but the senate flushed it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's any frangible, "defender", or steel penetrator round. The assembly passed a ban on those in April, but the senate flushed it.

cause those regular .30cal hunting rounds are harmless...oh and same goes for that Czech Silvertip 7.62x54R surplus ammo, tooootally harmless haha.  Wow these guys talk out their ass daily.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

cause those regular .30cal hunting rounds are harmless...oh and same goes for that Czech Silvertip 7.62x54R surplus ammo, tooootally harmless haha.  Wow these guys talk out their ass daily.

Chipping away at the stone... piece by piece.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chipping away at the stone... piece by piece.

tell me about it..
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#9]
The wish list they printed in yesterdays paper is absolutely ridiculous. Seems like they've jumped on the bandwagon to get everything and anything passed in the aftermath of the two officers dying. The dealer provisions alone are going to be difficult to keep up with.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The wish list they printed in yesterdays paper is absolutely ridiculous. Seems like they've jumped on the bandwagon to get everything and anything passed in the aftermath of the two officers dying. The dealer provisions alone are going to be difficult to keep up with.

Which paper?  I'd like to have a look.

The amount of hype about the two cops was on overload for a while.  Two in two weeks!  Technically true, but also the only two in the entire year.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They will also be pushing to get the Senate to act on the anti-gun bills that passed the Assembly in 05-2005.

Assault Weapon Ban This bill would expand the legal definition of assault weapons to strengthen the state's law that prohibits these deadly, military-style guns. (A.2466; Passed Assembly)

Sniper Rifle Ban This bill would ban the civilian possession, sale and use of military style .50-caliber weapons. These sniper rifles are capable of disabling armored personnel carriers used by the military and can shoot down aircraft at more than a mile away. (A.4471; Passed Assembly)

Armor Piercing Bullets This bill would strengthen the civilian ban on "armor piercing ammunition," as well as outlaw "frangible ammunition" and "devastator ammunition." This type of ammunition is designed to fragment or explode on impact. (A.2837; Passed Assembly)

Children's Weapon Accident Protection Act This bill would help protect children from accidental shootings by establishing new crimes involving the negligent storage of a weapon. The legislation also would require gun retailers to alert consumers about the new safe weapons storage requirements. Under the bill, individuals convicted of failing to store safely a firearm where a serious injury results could face prison sentences of up to seven years. (A.673; Passed Assembly)

Childproofing Firearms This bill would make it a class A misdemeanor for retailers to sell guns that are not child resistant. The measure would require that guns be equipped with certain safety features designed to make it difficult for an average five-year-old child to fire the weapon. (A.2302; Passed Assembly)

You need to sign up to receive the NYSRPA e-mail alerts: groups.yahoo.com/group/NYSRPA-alert/

www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051224/NEWS01/512240319/1002/NEWS

December 24, 2005

Anti-gun bills promoted

Assembly won't give up on dealer records, ban on armor-piercing ammo

Cara Matthews
Gannett News Service

ALBANY — The Democrat-led Assembly will continue to push for anti-gun laws that weren't included in legislation passed in a special session this week on criminal justice, but they may have trouble getting the attention of the governor and GOP-controlled Senate.

The Assembly advanced a slew of initiatives in May that would require gun dealers to keep more detailed records of sales and train employees; make it a misdemeanor to sell guns without child safety features; ban firearms ammunition that can pierce bulletproof vests; and make other changes.

The only element that passed this week toughens penalties for illegal gun possession and sales. Gov. George Pataki, a Republican, signed the legislation.

"They didn't offer any evidence that legal gun dealers who provide legally purchased and used guns were in any way contributing to the proliferation of crime as a result of illegal gun trafficking," said John McArdle, a spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno, R-Brunswick, Rensselaer County.

Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver, D-Manhattan, said, however, that tracking down guns that are illegally transported into the state is just one piece of what's needed.

Anyone convicted of possessing or selling illegal weapons will receive longer sentences, and penalties for killing or injuring police officers are stiffer, based on the legislation approved this week.

Democrats would not accept a part of the governor's and Senate's plan that would have made the death penalty a possible punishment for slaying a cop, instead requiring life without parole.

The Second Amendment Foundation, a national group with an office in Buffalo, believes the proposals would be too restrictive on gun dealers, who already are highly regulated by federal and state laws, President Joseph Tartaro said.

Nearly 150 police and sheriff's departments have signed on to the Assembly bill that would ban the sale of firearms ammunition that can pierce body armor and of ammunition that explodes on impact, said Assemblyman David Koon, D-Perinton, the legislation's sponsor.

"If we're really serious about protecting police officers, we should be passing legislation ... that would make it illegal to have ammunition that could pierce body armor," he said.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
The local gunsmith/gunshop has carried a million dollar liability policy for quite a few years, and it is expensive and difficult to get. I'm sure the chain stores like Gander and Dick's carry insurance, but I'd bet most of the folks working gunshows or the internet don't.
Whats happened is those who are really serious about maintiaining a firearms buisness are followig all the rules and treating the buisness like they wil be audited/investigated and sued. While we whine and cry about the prices, they're doing what it really takes to maintain a profitable buisness. You wouldn't work in a profession that won't allow you to make a decient living.
The legislation that just passed should really scare the hell out of all of us.... just because "...it only affects  criminals...: doen't mean that they didn't just make you one!  Ever heard the expression about the camel getting its nose in the tent?
This whole fiasco was penned on the bodys of two police officers, and the irony is the murderers cannot be sentenced or charged under the new legislation.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:33:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Silver was also pushing to restrict anyone less then eighteen years old from entering any store that sold guns unless accompanied by someone over eighteen. This would have either closed all the Wal*Marts gun departments and other stores that sold guns or forced them to build a separate restricted area gun store within the the main store. Silver is looking to make it as difficult as possible for legal gun owners in NY.

It also would have restricted sixteen and seventeen year olds from even going into a gun store to buy a hunting license or targets etc. The fact that is it is legal for sixteen/seventeen year olds to hunt and target shoot at a range in NY without supervision seems to have gone over their heads.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Every time I see them mentioning banning frangible or hollowpoint ammo with talk of "armor piercing" makes my fucking blood boil.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The amount of hype about the two cops was on overload for a while.  Two in two weeks!  Technically true, but also the only two in the entire year.

The electronic version of the article is here:

http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051224/NEWS01/512240319/1002

The standard issue of the paper had a sidebar with the wish list of the anti politicians.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Silver also wants gun shops to have $1,000,000 liability policies. My gun shop has none right now, and can barely survive in the shadow of Gander Mountain.

There goes my FFL then.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:15:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Silver and his dupes have declared a culture war in New York. We need to support NYSRPA, NRA and deluge the papers with letters explaining our positions.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#18]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#19]
"Sheldon Silver wants your guns."
Sometimes the answers are more important than the questions:

Social Engineering: Lack of guns will impact the distance between those who have worked to have something and those who would take because they think their owed something.

Government reliance: Since you cannot really protect yourself you'll need more Police protection, but don't think you can hold us accountable if something happens to you and we don't/can't help.

Security of Government Employees: The Sullivan act was instuted to protect a NYC "elected" official, who in fear for his life (back then you'd get killed for pulling some of the shit that's done routinly now).
The recient legislation railroaded thru hightens the penalties for killing someone working for the Government, be they elected, hired, or otherwise.
Folks who have no buisness owning a gun: The insane, drug addicts, alcholics, violent persons, criminals past a ceertain degree. (face it, committing a traffic violation is a criminal offense however minor it may be is still breaking the law, but shouldn't effect you rights below a certain point)

Control of the people: The dictators of past and present history have made dis-armament of the population first proirity. Cops, criminals and those in control of them know that even one trained and armed man can really fuck up your plans for the whole day.

Those bent on world domoination: New World Order, Alien Invasion, Illuminati, Free Masons,... I'm not going to even try these.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:26:14 AM EDT
[#20]
i feel everyone in ny's pain, here in nj its not quite as bad but, corzine will do his best to ruin the years ahead for, legal,law abbiding ,tax paying, gun owners and hunters FOR SURE! not to rubb it in, but today bloomberg has said that he WILL push for more gun restriction not only for ny but nation wide, i think he said " we must remove these devices of death off our streets" are we as gun owners the only people who understand that criminals love gun control and will allways have a weapon? disarming us is like bringing the sheep to slaugter.  send in your donatons to the nra, saf, goa, ccrkba, and make your phone calls, i know its not much but what else can we do besides move?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i feel everyone in ny's pain, here in nj its not quite as bad but, corzine will do his best to ruin the years ahead for, legal,law abbiding ,tax paying, gun owners and hunters FOR SURE! not to rubb it in, but today bloomberg has said that he WILL push for more gun restriction not only for ny but nation wide, i think he said " we must remove these devices of death off our streets" are we as gun owners the only people who understand that criminals love gun control and will allways have a weapon? disarming us is like bringing the sheep to slaugter.  send in your donatons to the nra, saf, goa, ccrkba, and make your phone calls, i know its not much but what else can we do besides move?

Bloomberg's ability to extend beyond NY politically isn't likely to be what he imagines it to be.  Chuck Schumer is lining up a strategy in the media to elect Democrats in red states next election that has similar faults in reasoning.  These guys may be popular w/ the metro crowd, but that's where it ends.

Bloomy telling ma 'n pa in Arizona/Tennessee/Wyoming/etc that their gun laws should look more like NY's is sure to get him laughed out of town.  He's realized that he won't get action at the Fed level in (at least) the next three years, and he's headed for disappointment at the state level outside NY.  

His arguments, in light of the NYC justice system's ineffectiveness in enforcing the current laws, just don't stand up.

As for Schumer, I lived in TN during the Clinton impeachment (just feels good to type that) when Chuck was grandstanding for the cameras in the House of Reps...the local press had a field day w/ that guy.  Schumer endorsing or promoting a candidate in red states is likely a big tilt for whoever is running against him/her.  We'll wait and see.

In the meantime, I'll be calling and writing the officials in my once-and-future home state:

1.) Raising their awareness of NYC's inability to enforce current gun laws based on objective data,
2.) Pointing out that the Brady law already makes illegal the kind of straw purchases and cross-state transactions Bloomburg cites as "the problem",
3.) Highlighting NY state gun laws, and asking them if their voting constituency would tolerate them,
4.) Asking them to send the Bloomberg gang back to NYC to start doing the job they're paid to do.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I printed this in another topic but it also belongs here.

The Assembly Majority Response to the State of the State Address

Delivered by Sheldon Silver, Speaker of the NYS Assembly

Wednesday, January 4, 2006

The New York State Assembly congratulates the Governor on the
occasion of this, his 12th and final State of the State Address.

As he concludes his tenure in elected office, we commend the Governor
for his efforts on behalf of the State of New York.

We look forward to receiving the Executive Budget and we look forward
to working with the Governor and with our colleagues in the Senate to
enact an on-time state budget, to address the needs of the state, and
to further the government reforms that were achieved in bipartisan
fashion last year.

Two weeks ago, the Assembly acted on a series of bills that will make
our state safer by stiffening penalties for gun traffickers and more
effectively protecting our brave law enforcement officers.

When it comes to halting gun violence, the Governor and the
Legislature have much more work to do.

We must remove illegal guns from our neighborhoods.

We must prohibit the sale of assault weapons.

And we must ban armor-piercing bullets once and for all.

To give police officers bullet-proof vests and allow criminals to
legally purchase bullets that can penetrate those vests is
foolishness, plain and simple.

This month, the Assembly will again advance its comprehensive
legislation to curb gun violence.

We urge the Governor and the Senate to join us in closing down
illegal gun dealers.

In the next few weeks, the Assembly will again pass legislation to
better safeguard New Yorkers from sexual predators.

Our new agenda will be the toughest and most comprehensive in the
history of New York State.

We are making penalties more severe.

We are providing for civil confinement.

We are enhancing victim assistance.

We are improving community notification and the monitoring of sex offenders.

Once again, I call upon the Governor and the Senate to join us in
making the safest big state - New York - even safer.

As we commence our work in this legislative session, the Assembly is
also preparing for the future.

We foresee a new era of optimism and opportunity;

A new era of courage and collegiality;

A new era of vision and vitality;

A new era of responsiveness and gubernatorial leadership.

We are preparing for an administration that will demand integrity,
accountability, and transparency from every level of government.

We are working for a future where the health, education and welfare
of the people are the moral obligation of government, and not the
fodder for wasteful television ads.

We are working for the day when New York's job-creation efforts
reflect each region's unique assets;

The day when economic opportunity begins in the classroom;

Extends to skills improvement and job training at our excellent
community colleges;

And reaches its pinnacle in the myriad research and development
projects taking place in our world-class colleges and universities.

Realizing this vision requires that we keep our promises to the future.

Like all of the mothers and fathers in our court rooms who are
demanding that this state honor its constitutional obligation to
educate our children, we look forward to the fast-approaching day
when the school funding issue is settled once and for all.

This new era of government was defined by the distinguished
historian, Barbara Tuchman, in this way:

If we can be open enough to perceive that a given policy is harming
rather than serving public-interest, if we can be confident enough to
acknowledge it and wise enough to reverse it, then we will reach the
summit in the art of government.

Right now, that summit is still a long way off.

To the families of Corn Hill in Utica;

To the families of Dunkirk and Niagara Falls;

To those residing on the South Side of Syracuse and in Rochester's
14621 Neighborhood;

To the families in Riverhead, in Monticello, and in Newburgh City;

To those working families struggling to pay your bills in cities,
towns and villages across this state, I ask you:

Have twelve years of Republican leadership improved your lives? Your
schools? Your communities?

Is your faith in government stronger today? Are you hopeful for the future?

Remember the early years of the Pataki Administration?

New Yorkers were reaping the dividends of that extraordinary and
history-making Clinton economy.

The state's coffers were filled to the brim.

The ability to strengthen the core elements of New York State's
economy was never better.

Yet, the Pataki Administration purposefully under funded education
and higher education;

Under invested in mass transit, roads and bridges;

Under financed health and mental health care;

And under capitalized housing and the other essential aspects of our
infrastructure.

Then came September 11th, 2001.

New Yorkers were the target of the single most devastating act of
mass murder and economic destruction ever perpetrated by a terrorist
entity in this country.

Today, four-and-a-third years after the towers thundered to earth,
Ground Zero remains a sad and empty space, and the Lower Manhattan
economy continues to sink in a swamp of competing visions and
misguided priorities.

For eleven years, through the highs and the lows, New Yorkers have
endured an administration that has been defined by a reluctance to
lead; an administration unable to back up its rhetoric with action,
and unwilling to conduct its business in the sunlight of public scrutiny.

For eleven years, New Yorkers have watched their governor raise
millions of dollars for a national political party that is
shortchanging our state billions of dollars in federal aid.

For eleven years, we have endured an administration that has defined
health-care reform as cuts in Medicaid funding for the elderly and disabled.

And now, after an economically crippling transit workers strike, the
Governor's absence from the negotiating table proves yet again that
he is reluctant to lead.

In refusing to work with the Legislature, this Administration has
consistently acted in opposition to the best interests of New Yorkers.

Yes, a school-funding agreement could have been reached, but only if
the Legislature sold out our school children.

We could not act so callously. We would not!

Instead, the Legislature stood together and chose to lead. The
budgets we crafted are directly responsible for the recent upgrade in
the state's credit rating.

I assure you that we will continue to lead this state in the
direction that is best for New Yorkers and for our future.

This is the commitment of your State Assembly.

We will pass an on-time budget.

We will strengthen our education system in every part of this state.

We will target real property tax relief to our hard-pressed
communities, our working families and our senior citizens.

We will strive to expand job growth in every city, county and town.

We will keep the dream of a college degree alive for every New Yorker
who needs and is prepared for the challenges of higher education.

We will do all that we can to ensure that affordable, quality health
care is accessible to every New Yorker.

We will work even harder to make energy less costly to businesses,
homes, and especially to those New Yorkers on fixed incomes.

We will strive to make New York State a place our children want to
stay, where they can afford to own a home, where they can find good
jobs and build a secure career, where our schools are the finest in
the nation, where our communities are free from violence, where the
environment is clean, and their government is responsive to their needs.

The Governor has the opportunity in this, his final year in office,
to establish this kind of legacy; a legacy of leadership, of
bipartisanship, of dedication to working families and to helping them
address the challenges they face every day.

This Governor has the opportunity to guide this State to that
brighter future all New Yorkers are hoping for.

In a spirit of optimism, the Assembly stands ready to work with the
Governor and with the Senate to help him craft the legacy New Yorkers deserve.

We are eager to begin our work. We are eager to prepare for the
future. We are eager to restore the people's faith in their government.

I am Sheldon Silver, Speaker of the New York State Assembly urging
all New Yorkers to get ready, brighter days are coming.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I read that and sent an e-mail. Asking about the brighter days ahead from either party.

I think they should worry about taking bribes ( OH I mean Donations) instead of trying to take my sport away from me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top