Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2003 12:14:32 PM EDT
Hi everyone,
I appreciate the advice in advance.
I used to live in Brooklyn, NY a couple of years ago, and held a target permit with a Glock 30 and a Colt Gold Cup. A job then had me move to Louisiana and I brought the handguns with me. Before I moved to Louisiana, I spoke to someone in the licensing division and asked what to do. The person told me that I should write a letter addressed to the Licensing Division with the serial #'s, my permit # and the new address that I was moving to. I sent the letter and moved.
While in Louisiana, I bought an AR-15 (post-ban) with 4 30 round mags, and a Remington 870 with an extended mag (holds 7 rounds now). I also took advantage of Louisiana's "shall issue" CCW laws and aquired a carry permit.
My questions now are, if I move back to NY - Ithaca to be exact - what should I start doing to try and get my handguns (and is it possible to get a carry permit in Ithaca, and how?) legally in my possession up in Ithaca? I know that they were registered in Brooklyn already, so will that make it easier to transfer back to NY?
My next question is, what about the AR and shotgun? Will I need to register them in Ithaca? And what about the 30 round mags and extended shotgun mag?
Again, thanks for all your help in this!
It's going to be great going home again!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Is your Brooklyn permit still valid?  If so you might be able to have your file transfered and a new permit issued.  Keep in mind that a NYC permit is valid upstate as well, not vice versa.  As it is not a carry permit according to judicial interpretation you can not carry on it... well yes you can, if caught carrying in violation (absent another crime) you can only have the permit revoked for violating the issuing authorities restrictions.

Anyway, if your permit lapsed you may be required to start the process by scratch.  In which case you MIGHT have to wait a year while you reestablish residency.  As a former NYer the issuing authority might wave this.  As for what type of permit will be issued, your guess is as good as mine.

Re: the 870 and postban AR, both should be fine in Ithaca.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No problemo in Ithaca for shotgun or rifle!

RE: pistols - Link to NY State Police FAQ...

www.troopers.state.ny.us/Firearms/FAQs/FAQindex.html
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
HiramRanger and AKsRule,

Thank you for your advice and thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, my NY permit lapsed... Ugh, I don't want to go through all that waiting again. But, if it means I can have my handguns guns back, it'll be worth it. I guess I'll have to use the rifles to keep me warm!

Hey, does anybody know if it's easier to get your handgun permit in Ithaca than it is in NYC?

Again, thanks for the posts!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
HiramRanger and AKsRule,

Thank you for your advice and thanks for the link.
Unfortunately, my NY permit lapsed... Ugh, I don't want to go through all that waiting again. But, if it means I can have my handguns guns back, it'll be worth it. I guess I'll have to use the rifles to keep me warm!

Hey, does anybody know if it's easier to get your handgun permit in Ithaca than it is in NYC?

Again, thanks for the posts!

Im pretty confident that I can say that getting a permit in Ithaca will definetly be easier than getting one in NYC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:44:20 AM EDT
[#5]
NYS is a full carry permit concealed/unconcealed
with exceptions. NYC possession at home or business only for non LEO/Gov. [no carry]
Westchester county home or target only-although they have started to issue full carry like the rest of the state has.
Anywhere else in NYS apply at your local county sheriffs office and wait.
The rumor of putting self defense down for reason to carry will get you denied is BS.
I did it along with many of my friends back in '88 and we all have current CCW permits to this day. It is even a selection on the app.
Wait is about 4 months and now around $125.00 total.

Long guns are free from any type of registration anywhere in the state except NYC.
No NFA or AOW.
no limits on mag cap. for now.

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hoplite, Flashbang1, Aimless,

Thanks much for all the posts!
I'll let you know when I get back up to NY!

Thank you everyone who took the time to give your advice.

I LOVE NEW YORK!

Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top