Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 8:05:23 PM EDT
Supposedly it's a temporary shutdown, but I know for a fact that CD&R (the holding company that owns Remington) has been giving the old girl a fresh coat of paint. (kinda like putting lipstick on a pig) Anyway, the speculation within the plant is that CD&R wants to sell Remington. I sure hope Blount will step up to the plate!
These management types Remington has had in the past 7 years have run the plant, and the quality of firearms manufactured there down the tubes!
Remington workers get unpaid furlough

Fri, Oct 31, 2003

KRISTA J. KARCH
Observer-Dispatch

More than 900 employees at Remington Arms in Ilion were given a month off for Christmas, without pay, according to an announcement made to the workers Thursday, Remington Arms officials said.

This is the third time in the gun factory's history that officials have resorted to an unpaid furlough for employees at Herkimer County's largest company, company spokesman Paul Gallagher said.

In similar circumstances in 1996 and 1997, he said, all of the employees returned to full-time positions after the furlough.

"We do not expect to have any layoffs," Gallagher said.

Gallagher said the furlough is the result of the region's economic downturn. If economic indicators are correct, the company can expect business to pick up early next year.

Until then, employees can expect to be out of work from Dec. 1 until Jan. 2. They will be eligible for unemployment benefits, Gallagher said.

Remington Arms has made a significant impact on the economy of Herkimer County since it started in the area in the early 1800s. The village of Ilion currently boasts 8,700 residents.

Here's a link to another story in the local paper.
http://www.herkimertelegram.com/art...news/news02.txt
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the BATF web site Remington is number one in both rifle and shotgun sales in this country. 2001 they sold over 260,000 shotguns alone. I forget how many rifles but I remember it was more rifles than shotguns! I have trouble understanding why they are broke! Plus they have their ammo sales!

Many people say that the quality control has gone down in recent years. I have bought several new Remington's in the past few years including a new rifle this year and have not had any trouble myself. I don't understand this! MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 5:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 5:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Aimless = A trolls worst nightmare.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Aimless = A trolls worst nightmare.

Are you accusing me of being a TROLL?
I posted this on the General board so that everyone would have a chance to see it, The FAL Files, Paralax, Suguns and Bowers...SO WHAT! I want everyone to know that Remington is laying off over 900 workers just before Christmas! Supposedly only for the month of December...but who knows? (They've lied to us before)That's 1/12th of my yearly salary that I won't be getting...sure I'll be able to get unemployment, but that's not the issue. REMINGTON is the last big industry in the Mohawk Valley! if it leaves..this valley's economy is going to go thru extremely hard times. (Notice that I posted directly from our local news papers, what better source?)
And yes, Remington's quality control has suffered in the past 5 or 6 years, when they decided to move the barrel shop from one side of the plant to the other, and "modernize" they had majior setbacks. PS the "reason" I only have 7 posts on this board is I haven't been on this board for almost a year and a half, I can't remember my original password. Hiram Ranger knows me from the FALFiles, as well as Dan Tucker, Dan and a few of your members had a good time this summer with me at "GUNS ALONG THE MOHAWK" If you wish to question my motives or integrity, ask Dan if I'm a stand up guy!THE REASON I POSTED WORD FOR WORD ON ALL THE BOARDS IS TO GET THE WORD OUT! You gotta problem with that ?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
You win the coveted five troll award!  I haven't given one in a while but there's no denying you, babe!

Get that word out!
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:18:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My "old name here on the board is Adirondack1 , but actually I can't get into that profile anymore as I've changed my e-mail address since I was here last. I wasn't implying that you were calling me a troll, the other gentleman inferred that I was.

I assure you that I'm not spreading any rumors, that's why I posted word for word the Utica Observer Dispatch article and the link to the Herkimer Evening Telegram. so that any and all may read the information themselves.

I don't think that calling or writing Remington at this point will do much, as far as what the employees are doing now. All have adoped a wait and see outlook for the time being.
Were you at the Guns Along The Mohawk Shoot Aimless? As for you Markm I won't bother adressing anything an anal-retentive idiot like you has to say.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 3:51:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]
While I am confused as to why Remington has to close when it appeared to me that they were doing well I am not sure that a boycott is the way to go. As everyone who knows me from the shotgun board knows I am a shill for big green. It seems counterproductive to boycott a gun company that is in financial trouble. IMHO. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:19:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear what you are saying. I know things have been very hard upstate. Sometimes civil servants like myself forget what it is like on the outside. MIKE.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#12]
As I said, the general concensus is we're going to see what transpires between late November til January. We all appreciate your support,and I hope to see some of you at B&J's so I can give you some more information in person, Aimless will you be there?

I have some pictures of the shoot, were you the guy with the AR15.com shirt on that came to the burger joint with SP10 and Danafter the shoot??

I was the guy in the Tigerstripe pants that hosted the shoot.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Aimless you hit the nail on the head with this.

it's easier to just dump it and move somewhere where they can get cheaper workers, no unions lower comp etc whether that's in the south or overseas.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#14]
The valley just lost UNION TOOLS. They now purchase from China or are moving limited prodution to Kentucky for $8/h. If you want to boycott no Craftsman, Razorback, etc, garden/farm tools. Alot of old timers out of work. Unfortunately within the family. If Remington were to leave it would be devastating.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:02:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:02:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Hi guys. Fudpucker, hope things work out for you and the Ilion area...

Markm, do you work at being a dork, or does it just come naturally?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Just a FYI.  I called my brother-in-law, who works at the Remington plant, and so far the word is that it is going to close. We will have to see.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Hi Wade...

What the hell is going on? Remington is closing??????

Been a bit busy this past couple of months and this is the first I have heard of this....

Damn.....
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:50:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Dan, SP10 good to know you guys are still kickin, Yeah just what we've been talking about!
I'll let you know what happens you guys have my personal e-mail drop me a line.

I'm going to have to sell toys to make ends meet, I'll send you a list. Let Aimless know too.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:06:49 AM EDT
[#20]
As for their quality going down the tubes, I stopped in to a semi-local funstore about a month ago, and *almost* bought a Rem 700 in .223, but that action was one of the roughest things I've ever felt -- you could FEEL the bolt sliding in the reciever, and it was kind of like riding a go-cart on a gravel road, damned rough.  Maybe it was just one that slipped past their quality control people, but I'd come to expect a lot better from them.  I won't condem their whole line from one bad one I've dealt with.

Either way, closing or not, I'll wait until I hear something official, from Remington, before I start bashing 'em.

-FOTBR
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Well guys, sent PM's to my friends here first on toys 4 sale, if no takers, I'll post them 4 sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top