Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2003 5:36:59 PM EDT
Just curious! I'm wondering how many in county residents are here and may be in need of a place to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:13:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Raptor22 here.  I presently drive to the Sunset Hill Range in Henryville, PA to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 2:55:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Ulster Co. - just over the border from Orange.  I usually shoot at the Wallkill Rod & Gun Club.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Port Jervis, GunnyG what range do you go to? There is a range here in Port Jervis, I was going to there meeting this Monday to see if I can join.
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Fozzie,

I'm a member at Black Rock Fish and Game (between Vail's Gate and Woodbury Commons on Rte 32). It's 15 minutes from my house to the clubhouse.

I can recommend 5 applicants a year, and I'm 5 behind! There are openings for in-county residents right now. Unfortunately, they aren't taking anymore out-of-county applications right now.

Anyone interested, please IM me and I'll get you on track.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Shameless BTT!

Club website: dwp.bigplanet.com/blackrock

[sexy advertising]After a day on the range, I can sit on the veranda of the clubhouse, drinking a beer from the bar, while my kids fish on the stocked, private stretch of stream below...[/sexy advertising]
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Another shameless bump.

Did I forget to mention my secret stash of 5.56 NATO stripper clips and guides that I will share with the next 5 guests at the range?

Link Posted: 8/21/2003 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#7]
how far are you from stewart airport?  my uncle lives rght there and i could sneak out to go shooting when i visit
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm right there! I can hear my squadron's C-130s running up their engines from the house!
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 12:33:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how far are you from stewart airport?  my uncle lives rght there and i could sneak out to go shooting when i visit

Black Rock is about 15 or 20 minutes away from Stewart, depending on who's driving and which way they go...

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 6:47:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Hey gents! I'm in Warwick. I used to go to Knights, but they have since closed down. I'm going to look into the Blackrock range as it's not that far from me.

GunnyG>> I looked at their website, but it does not mention what kind of range facilities they have. Can you tell me about their rifle range? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#11]
A 200yd rifle range w/ covered firing points,
a 25yd pistol range w/ covered firing points
trap and skeet and 3d archery too! Plus an
indoor pistol and archery range at the clubhouse.

I'm trying to go out tomorrow afternoon, if you want to meet and check it out yourself!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:23:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A 200yd rifle range w/ covered firing points,
a 25yd pistol range w/ covered firing points
trap and skeet and 3d archery too! Plus an
indoor pistol and archery range at the clubhouse.

I'm trying to go out tomorrow afternoon, if you want to meet and check it out yourself!  

Thanks for the invite, but I can't make it this weekend. I'm thinking about going up either Thurs. 28th or Sat. 30th to check it out and see how long of a drive it is for me.

I'm really interested in the rifle range. Master Class is near me and I go there for pistol and shotgun work. But my new Springfield M1A Bush with Whamo Camo stock, Aimpoint ML2 and Springfield 6x40 scope need a good workout. Let me know if your going up one of those days, I'll buy you a beer afterwards!

How does membership work? Do you have to be recommended by another member or if there is an opening you can join? The range is in Orange County right?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:47:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm off Thursday (Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon) too! Give me a call, I'm IM'ing my phone #.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How does membership work? Do you have to be recommended by another member or if there is an opening you can join? The range is in Orange County right?

Yes, its in Orange County.

Recommendation required? Yes, I can sponsor 5 more applications this year. We have about 60 openings for in-county residents (Club bylaws limit the # of in-county and out-of-county members).

FROM RT.84:

Take exit 7S South on Rt. 300.
Follow Rt.300 signs to end. You should be in the 5 corners, Vails Gate,NY, where Rt. 300 meets Rt.94 and Rt.32. Take Rt 32 south 4 miles. Club is on the right after the Black Rock sign.

FROM THE SOUTH:

From the Harriman interchange of the NYS Thruway, take Rt.32 North to Mountainville(7.3 Miles). Look for the Black Rock sign on the left. Turn before the sign, Club house is down the hill.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 1:59:46 PM EDT
[#15]
My apologies for not being around this weekend...my best friend had his daughter's 2yr old birthday party on Saturday.

After everyone left and the kids went to bed, we proceeded to finish off the 15 liters of beer we had purchased and had been nibbling on all afternoon. Split pretty much evenly between the two of us.

I was, understandably, not able to do much on Saturday, nor much today.

The spare parts for my AUG came in (!!!)...which means I need to re-break it in

Ahh, time to hit the range again...
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#16]
That's OK! I didn't finish putting my rifle back together until after 5:00PM. Thought I'd fixed the extraction problem on my '92 Winchester, even had some fun launching empty shells around the kitchen with my daughter retrieving. Then it stopped extracting again...

At least I learned how to disassemble AND reassemble a Winchester 1892.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Just wait until you have to do a BAR. Oy! It probably wouldn't be so bad if it were a "real" one (open bolt), but man, it's a real PITA...gas system (which is actually not too horribly bad), and the receiver (which is like pulling teeth with a rubber mallet and a pair of tweezers. Getting the bolt assembly out and back in, anyway...tho I suppose with practice, it's that much simpler.)

I had a nice chat with the father, and well...how would you feel about a Johnson Rifle?

I've been dying to try one of those out, and I have the manual to clean it around somewhere to make my life easier.

The one sitting in the collection is just collecting dust, and we all have the same view on things..why buy it if we can't use it?

Oh - at the Middletown show, there's a guy with a couple of them, if you're interested. They seem to come in waves...2500+ seems to be the average, but...5 years ago, they flat didn't exist. Now, at the shows, you can't throw a rock without hitting the guy. Odd.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had a nice chat with the father, and well...how would you feel about a Johnson Rifle? ...
Oh - at the Middletown show, there's a guy with a couple of them, if you're interested. They seem to come in waves...2500+ seems to be the average, but...5 years ago, they flat didn't exist. ...

Ed,

you're evil! Don't ya' want my children to eat, or get Christmas gifts this year?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Were they US marked, I'd be salivating...alas, such beasts no longer exist. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. (All the US issued ones were tossed into the ocean off of some island in the Pacific. As far as I know, and as far as most all collectors know.) The ones in question were built for Holland? Belgium? Something around there...those are starting/have been filtered back to the US.

I'd pick one up, but I'm stupid with money, and I can barely afford McDonalds for lunch.

Don't mean we can't take the one I have access too and bang that around.

A rifle lighter than most bolt-actions, with a 10 round cylinder firing semi-automatically, a .30-06...it should be punishing, to say the least
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'm off Thursday (Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon) too! Give me a call, I'm IM'ing my phone #.

Sounds good! I'll give you a buzz on Wed. to confirm for Thursday shoot. Thanks again. I have been going CRAZY not being able to shoot my baby.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:08:10 PM EDT
[#21]
308 Scout,

When do you want to go again? Bring your son too! I'll call about the membership application tomorrow morning.

Anybody else want to go? IM me!

Link Posted: 8/29/2003 5:39:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Gunny, it was nice meating you. I had a great time and I liked the club. I can go anytime you want. Give me a call or send me an email the next time your going. Thanks again for showing me around yesterday.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:27:15 AM EDT
[#23]
308_Scout:
[spelling nazi rant ]"meet", not "meat"[/spelling nazi rant]
Black Rock isn't that kind of club!

I'm thinking about going to the pistol range Saturday afternoon. Bring your kid out too! We can set up targets for the BB guns and .22LR rifles.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:27:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
308_Scout:

I'm thinking about going to the pistol range Saturday afternoon. Bring your kid out too! We can set up targets for the BB guns and .22LR rifles.

I, unfortunatly, will not be around this weekend...a lady friend wants to drive on up and hang out over the weekend. Haven't seen her in a while, so I'm guessing we're probably going to be otherwise engaged. (No, not THAT kind of friend, sheesh. )
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 3:45:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
308_Scout:

Sorry Gunny, won't make that mistake again.

Sat. I got my parents coming up for the day. This whole weekend is pretty much shot for me. Lot's of family activities goin on. Otherwise I would be there. Let me know the next time your going.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top