Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 2:24:43 PM EDT
Never more than 8 guys at either the pistol or rifle range today.  No lunch lady (no lunches either)  Beautiful day, no wind until after 1PM.  Finally fired my 35 Remington Marlin (little high and left at 50 yds.)  There from 9:45 to 3.  Fired at least 100 rds of Federal, 50 Lake City, 50 Winchester and 120 or more rounds of Wolf.  (Probably significantly more :-)  I haven't really looked in the chamber yet (will clean everything after dinner), but I honestly had no problem with Wolf's HPs, thought it smelled a little "sweet" but had zero FTF or FTE.  I shot from kneeling and offhand and from unsupported positions couldn't really tell if it was that less accurate.  I was honestly concerned more today with function than same-hole accuracy.  Frankly, I now don't care much if the SA stuff does come in!  I did shoot at 16" targets at 100 yds from the prone with Lake City, and felt good about baseball size groups.  Hadn't shot a firearm in 6 months, and except for 50 soft points at Mitchell Field, hadn't shot the XM15-E2S since I got it in November.  I am hooked. (Not that I am surprised, I did shoot the M16 for qual during most of the first half of my 28 in the ARmy Reserve.)  I did have the only EBG there today, and it is funny how NO ONE wants to so much as look at it, but hey, I shot 3-400 aimed shots to probably 100 of theirs and had a ball without any recoil pain.  Had hoped to get the wife out there today, but the other wife took ill and God forbid mine would ever accompany my friend and I!  Maybe a good thing, it was a bit of a shakedown cruise (I tried out a cheap Leapers carry handle 3x9, experimented with different home-made targets, etc.  Tuesday thru Thursday is the time to be out there to be on your own, but I do look forward to meeting up with some of ya some day!  Meantime, I am trying to hook 2 buddies on the EBG as well.  (EVen if that bitch McCarthy does want to outlaw Bushmasters!)  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeez you guys ever meet anywhere in upstate? Long Island is a long way from where I live...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I am CHEAP! and its just too far to drive, although I bet the ranges up there are every bit as good and better!  Takes me an hour to just clear NYC, less than that to drive East to Calverton.  Fishing remains my main thing, and I do both fresh and salt on the island.  I remain fearful that Calverton will close though, especially after what happened in Brookhaven (closed!)
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am CHEAP! and its just too far to drive, although I bet the ranges up there are every bit as good and better!  Takes me an hour to just clear NYC, less than that to drive East to Calverton.  Fishing remains my main thing, and I do both fresh and salt on the island.  I remain fearful that Calverton will close though, especially after what happened in Brookhaven (closed!)

When did the Brookhaven range close? I was there like a month ago
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, please do fill us in on Brookhaven closing. I use to shoot there all the time. I was last there during the winter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Are all you guys from LI?

If anyones from western/central NY raise your hand.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Regarding Brookhaven (just east of the Rocky Point USAR center and on the north side ( ?)
I must be totally off course.  I had read an East End paper that said environmental violations had occurred and that heretofore never listened to noise complaints were being listened to etc., etc.  Even read something when I did a search on the web about it being closed,  read letters that were being sent in protest to various Brookhaven town pols etc.  Glad you both shot me down; although I am not looking to an alternative to Calverton as yet, it would be nice to have as Huntington sounds too "structured" and is much more expensive.  I didn't see that Brookhaven range in the Ranges "folder" and mistakenly thought the articles and letters I found were correct. (Maybe out of date?)  What can you tell me about Brookhaven?
Distances, types of firearms, days and hours, cost, residency ?, running water (-: , lunch ladies...
Once again, sorry for the mistake, before I believe everything on the web again I will ask here!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I din't think they had EBGs in western NY, just "deer" rifles  (-:
I do want to add that I re-read the ranges folder and DIRECTLY under Calverton is Brookhaven.  (That will teach me for doing this at work all the time!)
OK, I'm a dope, but you Lawnguylanders that have fired at both Brookhaven and Calverton, which do you prefer and why?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
That former Stasi wannabe wouldn't be anyone we know from here, would he?
Is Brookhaven less crowded on the weekends- you gentlemen set me straight about it still being open but I never see anyone write about it ( ? )
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:57:47 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are all you guys from LI?

If anyones from western/central NY raise your hand.

There are a bunch of us in Central/Western NY. Me, 79Transam, sp10, NickViejo, Black and Green, Peetmoss, etc etc oh and there are a couple of guys near Rochester

The problem with shooting upstate is that up here there aren't really public ranges, there are little old clubs that you have to be a member of, so although I go shooting every Saturday and Sunday it makes it tough for me to show up with 15 guys at my little hunting club range. We should look into setting something in central/western NY, I am just stumped as to what to do for a range.

Actually you are right, I dont even belong to a range yet. I just shoot in my backyard. lol
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That former Stasi wannabe wouldn't be anyone we know from here, would he?
Is Brookhaven less crowded on the weekends- you gentlemen set me straight about it still being open but I never see anyone write about it ( ? )

None other then our very own Wave himself!

:)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:13:53 PM EDT
[#14]
But I thought WAVE was a LEO?!   <grin>

Anyway, I just had to find something from my morning's misinformation re: Brookhaven--can't remember how to paste the link, but here is part of what I had read--guess it never really became an issue (?)

http:/-END Of Script Attempt-<br>s.longislandshootingrange.com/index.cgi?read=29
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The problem with shooting upstate is that up here there aren't really public ranges, there are little old clubs that you have to be a member of, so although I go shooting every Saturday and Sunday it makes it tough for me to show up with 15 guys at my little hunting club range. We should look into setting something in central/western NY, I am just stumped as to what to do for a range.

Public range near Springville, about 25-30 miles South of Buffalo.  Right near where Route 219 and Route 39 intersect.  If you guys are serious about wanting to have a gettogether, someone takes the reins and I will give very detailed directions how to get there.

I have a small car and can barely fit the guns, pigeons ammo, etc.. in there.  One of you guys with a station wagon or pickup truck might want to bring a BBQ grill and any thing else that would be fun to destroy!

There is a Super Wal Mart on the way to the range so someone could stop there on the way and get some burgers and drinks, or whatever.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:16:06 AM EDT
[#16]
HEY IF YOU GUYS SET UP THE WESTERN NY SHOOT FOR THE LAST WEEK-END IN JULY I'M IN. I RENTED A HOUSE IN CROGHAN NY FOR A WEEK FOR THE WIFE AND SON AND MY PARENTS AND BROTHERS AND CRAP AND I'D LOVE TO MEET UP AND SHOOT WITH YOU GUYS IF POSSIBLE. I'LL BRING THE BUSHY ANYWAY SO KEEP ME INFORMED IF POSSIBLE THANKS MARK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top