Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:21:18 PM EDT
[#1]
If a dress code is required you can count me out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is all the difference in the world between a government entity refusing to allow me to carry and a business owner doing the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

There is all the difference in the world between a government entity refusing to allow me to carry and a business owner doing the same.
Quoted for truth.

Quoted:
Hawaiian shirt, jock strap, dress shoes and a light coat of CLP?
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 7:11:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I am an unbranded t-shirt,jeans and boots guy. If that is not good enough for someone they can piss off.

Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am an unbranded t-shirt,jeans and boots guy. If that is not good enough for someone they can piss off.
View Quote
I'm with you on that.  There are times when you have to dress in a certain way because it's required (job, interviews, appointments), so when it's NOT required, I dress how I want.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Of all the reasons to not want to be proactive, in regards to the 2A, that is probably the silliest shit.

There is no enforced dress code that I'm aware of. So put on your nicest t-shirt and pants, show up, and don't act like an ass.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Of all the reasons to not want to be proactive, in regards to the 2A, that is probably the silliest shit.

There is no enforced dress code that I'm aware of. So put on your nicest t-shirt and pants, show up, and don't act like an ass.
View Quote
To you, perhaps.

Mocking someone that values something more than you value it is a shit way to encourage people to get involved.  Think of how many people are on the fence about showing up to something like this, then think about how encouraging your "silly" comment is.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, valuing a t-shirt over the 2A is one I'll never understand. I don't mean to come off as mocking someone and apologize.

I just have a hard time watching what's happening in VA and then seeing someone say they're not interested in getting more involved over something that, admittedly to me, just seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Millions, if not billions are being dumped into this state to attempt to flip it and make it Virginia v2.

Unfortunately we have an image issue because of low info voters and low info legislators. Dressing nicer than I normally would and showing up to prove msm generalizations wrong in the eyes of folks, in a preemptive action such as this, doesn't strike me as such a serious inconvenience or infraction on my normal routine to say, "no thanks."
It's weird to read such a sentiment on this website.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Well said.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, valuing a t-shirt over the 2A is one I'll never understand. I don't mean to come off as mocking someone and apologize.

I just have a hard time watching what's happening in VA and then seeing someone say they're not interested in getting more involved over something that, admittedly to me, just seems so trivial in the grand scheme of things.

Millions, if not billions are being dumped into this state to attempt to flip it and make it Virginia v2.

Unfortunately we have an image issue because of low info voters and low info legislators. Dressing nicer than I normally would and showing up to prove msm generalizations wrong in the eyes of folks, in a preemptive action such as this, doesn't strike me as such a serious inconvenience or infraction on my normal routine to say, "no thanks."
View Quote
That's a much better response.  I'm with you on this.

I also feel strongly that we need to be inclusive if we are to be successful.  If the only way someone will join is if they can wear jeans and a t-shirt, I think it's better to have that person than to not have them because of their feelings on a dress code.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I also feel strongly that we need to be inclusive if we are to be successful.  If the only way someone will join is if they can wear jeans and a t-shirt, I think it's better to have that person than to not have them because of their feelings on a dress code.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noble attitude, but there's a time & a place for all things.  Past a certain (extreme) point, people that don't understand that are a liability to any organized strategy.  If they feel "violated" by a basic request to dress respectfully (which is all nice jeans/slacks and a button-shirt is, and costs all of 10$ at a Goodwill) in a formal setting, they'll probably feel "violated" to wait their turn to speak and refrain from profanity/threats when it's their turn to be heard.  Not a concern for a man amid 'the rabble,' but if actually meeting reps & speaking with them, it does make sense to be polite to the people you need to cooperate with you.  Clothes & grooming are part of being polite just as much as attitude, it's not a matter of being snooty or elitist or anything like that.

The VA protest had a component that *was* about getting into the legislators' faces a bit because they'd badly bitten the hand that feeds them; we're not to that point in TX.  This is more of a "we're an important constituency, you promised us some work in this area...we're still watching to make sure you come through" mood.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:35:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Noble attitude, but there's a time & a place for all things.  Past a certain (extreme) point, people that don't understand that are a liability to any organized strategy.  If they feel "violated" by a basic request to dress respectfully (which is all nice jeans/slacks and a button-shirt is, and costs all of 10$ at a Goodwill) in a formal setting, they'll probably feel "violated" to wait their turn to speak and refrain from profanity/threats when it's their turn to be heard.  Not a concern for a man amid 'the rabble,' but if actually meeting reps & speaking with them, it does make sense to be polite to the people you need to cooperate with you.  Clothes & grooming are part of being polite just as much as attitude, it's not a matter of being snooty or elitist or anything like that.

The VA protest had a component that *was* about getting into the legislators' faces a bit because they'd badly bitten the hand that feeds them; we're not to that point in TX.  This is more of a "we're an important constituency, you promised us some work in this area...we're still watching to make sure you come through" mood.
View Quote
Good point, and, for the most part, right on the money.  I go to Washington to talk to Congress critters far more than I'd like.  I actually organize people from my industry every year.  I won't say that anything you said is wrong, but, whether it's the Rep or (more often) a staffer, someone always picks the person in our group that is under dressed to talk to.  I'm sure this is more true at the national level than the state level, but these elected folks are out of touch with reality.  They live in a different world than we do.  They will go out of their way to try to connect with someone that is obviously not a part of the political machine.

Maybe the plan for this date needs to be fleshed out a bit more and described so that you get the right people attending.  I don't know how much time the reps will have for us if they're just there for a hearing.  I always schedule appointments ahead of time, or drop in with zero expectation of being able to talk to the right person.  I thought this was just to have a presence at the hearing, to let our reps know that we care about this topic.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in for it.

We need a good turn out of reasonable people to put gentle pressure on the Legislature to let them know that this IS important to VOTERS ...

That without VOTERS they don't stay in office and if they are not in office they don't get CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS...

Leverage 101
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 7:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
No one cares about dress. I just ask that you shower
I think we care about one more voice that can vote and stand for freedom.

So what is the accepted norm for you?

I may attend this one, thinking I can get away from my responsibilities for a day.

The whole idea is to get active, proactive about freedom. Shore up 2A fortification.
Be vigilant.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good point, and, for the most part, right on the money.  I go to Washington to talk to Congress critters far more than I'd like.  I actually organize people from my industry every year.  I won't say that anything you said is wrong, but, whether it's the Rep or (more often) a staffer, someone always picks the person in our group that is under dressed to talk to.  I'm sure this is more true at the national level than the state level, but these elected folks are out of touch with reality.  They live in a different world than we do.  They will go out of their way to try to connect with someone that is obviously not a part of the political machine.

Maybe the plan for this date needs to be fleshed out a bit more and described so that you get the right people attending.  I don't know how much time the reps will have for us if they're just there for a hearing.  I always schedule appointments ahead of time, or drop in with zero expectation of being able to talk to the right person.  I thought this was just to have a presence at the hearing, to let our reps know that we care about this topic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VA worked well (even inside the wire) with a combination of numbers & clear expectations.  Everyone who attended had a choice, and everyone who attended had a place.  And very little coordination/organization at individual level was needed (obviously some did coordinate/organize but most folks simply showed up)

Same with the local meetings in the weeks before; I have faith in gun owners doing the right thing, so long as there are clear expectations of them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’d really love to see constitutional carry take a hold in Texas
View Quote
Yes indeed!

If AZ, OK, KS, MO & other states can do it... So Can We!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yes indeed!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d really love to see constitutional carry take a hold in Texas
Yes indeed!

Yes. Can we please have this discussion at the rally?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:50:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yes indeed!

View Quote
We're a large population center; CC here would be a game changer nationally
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm in for it.

We need a good turn out of reasonable people to put gentle pressure on the Legislature to let them know that this IS important to VOTERS ...

That without VOTERS they don't stay in office and if they are not in office they don't get CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS...

Leverage 101
View Quote
Learn from the Tarrant County Open Carry people two sessions ago what not to do. Loud and in your face isn't always the way to go at first.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Learn from the Tarrant County Open Carry people two sessions ago what not to do. Loud and in your face isn't always the way to go at first.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in for it.

Leverage 101
I plan on being there dressed in my Sunday best and open carrying my old workhorse a Springfield Armory 1911A1.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted for truth.

I’ll be rocking boots, jeans, and a Magpul button down, so please show up and support the cause.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Regarding message, expectations, and deliverables that will move 2A rights forward in TX...

I think we're all agreed that constitutional carry is a top priority, with the LTC being retained as an option for interstate travelers/ reciprocity.

I would like to see to see some revision of the trespass laws (which will need to occur anyway if the LTC becomes optional).  Specifically, I would like to see criminal culpability moved to a point where a carrier is told to leave but refuses.  I'm ok (personally, ymmv) with increased penalties for refusing to leave 51% places, and for drinking while carrying. But (and I'm thinking of 51% places here), the possibility that a person can commit a felony without knowing it, based solely on poor sign placement, is ridiculous.  If a carrier is told to leave a place and does so peacefully, no penalty should be attached.

Finally, I think we need to look at repealing the state bans on NFA items.  Right now we technically have bans on MGs, SBRs, SBSs, and suppressors.  It is an affirmative defense to prosecution if you have the correct federal paperwork for those items.  I'll have to do some research to find out how many people have actually been prosecuted at the state level for these crimes, but I don't see why the state needs to parrot federal knee-jerk reactions to depression-era gangsters.  If such things are against federal law, let the feds enforce it.  There's no need for the state to double down.

Is this too much to discuss at once?  I'm down with prioritizing things, but if this is a senate committee spitball session, I think floating several different ideas may not be a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#22]
NFA "bans" were dismantled last session, I think.  Don't quote me on that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
NFA "bans" were dismantled last session, I think.  Don't quote me on that.
View Quote
I think there was an attempt to do that, but I don't think it made it into law.

That said, there were protections enacted (effective Sept 1 2019) against prosecution for 30.06 and 30.07 posted places (which is awesome).  I think the same standard should be applied to 51% posted locations.

I'd also like some way to prevent venues that contract with caterers/ alcohol vendors from posting the entire place 51%.  Example:  the Long Center is a UT-owned building.  Campus Carry ought to apply.  But because they contract with an alcohol vendor for shows, the whole facility is posted.  That's ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Regarding message, expectations, and deliverables that will move 2A rights forward in TX...

I think we're all agreed that constitutional carry is a top priority, with the LTC being retained as an option for interstate travelers/ reciprocity.

I would like to see to see some revision of the trespass laws (which will need to occur anyway if the LTC becomes optional).  Specifically, I would like to see criminal culpability moved to a point where a carrier is told to leave but refuses.  I'm ok (personally, ymmv) with increased penalties for refusing to leave 51% places, and for drinking while carrying. But (and I'm thinking of 51% places here), the possibility that a person can commit a felony without knowing it, based solely on poor sign placement, is ridiculous.  If a carrier is told to leave a place and does so peacefully, no penalty should be attached.

Finally, I think we need to look at repealing the state bans on NFA items.  Right now we technically have bans on MGs, SBRs, SBSs, and suppressors.  It is an affirmative defense to prosecution if you have the correct federal paperwork for those items.  I'll have to do some research to find out how many people have actually been prosecuted at the state level for these crimes, but I don't see why the state needs to parrot federal knee-jerk reactions to depression-era gangsters.  If such things are against federal law, let the feds enforce it.  There's no need for the state to double down.

Is this too much to discuss at once?  I'm down with prioritizing things, but if this is a senate committee spitball session, I think floating several different ideas may not be a bad thing.
View Quote
I’m a total newb to the actual legislative side, so I don’t know if it’s too much, but I do think you’ve got some great points.

Can’t wait for this.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Me either. Is there a place where we can meet up for breakfast beforehand? I think the optics would look better for us if we presented a unified group entering the capital building.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Me either. Is there a place where we can meet up for breakfast beforehand? I think the optics would look better for us if we presented a unified group entering the capital building.
View Quote
I'll look.  I know parking around the Capitol can be a clusterfuck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that's perfect. I'm completely on board. The only thing I might add would be a request of the legislator to pass 2A sanctuary resolution.  Might be too much to ask, but maybe worth a shot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Bump

Are there any other planning/coordinating threads going on here or elsewhere?  We probably need to start getting a headcount and non-specific gameplan going since we're only two weeks out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#29]
BTW, the formal purpose of this hearing is for the Texas congress to show off what all their RKBA bills accomplished; we may want some arguments & anecdotes ready along those lines.

Campus armed self-defense incidents that would have been illegal previously is a good place to start, if there are any examples.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bump

Are there any other planning/coordinating threads going on here or elsewhere?  We probably need to start getting a headcount and non-specific gameplan going since we're only two weeks out.
View Quote
Not to my knowledge.  I know I'm going.  I plan on getting there about 9-9:15 (in case traffic or parking is bad).  I plan to park in the Capitol Visitors lot and go in from there.

As far as ancedotes go,  I'll have to do some digging.  The main gist ought to be that, despite the cries and dildo protests from the leftists, campus carry has proven to be a non-issue.  Ditto the changes to the trespass laws.  And church carry has demonstrably saved lives.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not to my knowledge.  I know I'm going.  I plan on getting there about 9-9:15 (in case traffic or parking is bad).  I plan to park in the Capitol Visitors lot and go in from there.

As far as ancedotes go,  I'll have to do some digging.  The main gist ought to be that, despite the cries and dildo protests from the leftists, campus carry has proven to be a non-issue.  Ditto the changes to the trespass laws.  And church carry has demonstrably saved lives.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bump

Parking in the Capital Visitors spot was my plan also. I'll shoot for an 8:45am arrival tim since I'll be coming from Cibolo. Look for a tan 2011 Escalade with a big "Double T" Texas Tech sticker on the back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll grab a spot in the same lot around that time. Takes me about 2 hours to get there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'll grab a spot in the same lot around that time. Takes me about 2 hours to get there.
View Quote
https://tspb.texas.gov/plan/parking/parking.html
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m coming from Spring area, so 2.5 hrs for me. A meetup at a separate spot to follow others into the Capitol area would be the best option for me.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Should we start a thread in GD, get more eyeballs on this?  I'm hitting up the few contacts I have to see if we can get the hearing mentioned on a couple of the big gun blogs, not sure if there's anything else we can be doing for the next week to get the word out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Should we start a thread in GD, get more eyeballs on this?  I'm hitting up the few contacts I have to see if we can get the hearing mentioned on a couple of the big gun blogs, not sure if there's anything else we can be doing for the next week to get the word out.
View Quote
Done
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:55:00 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm in the Tomball area, Anyone carpooling from the Houston area?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:40:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Done
View Quote
Link?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Link?
View Quote
@Gopher

GD link
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

@Gopher

GD link
View Quote
Thanks, missed it the first time around.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:47:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Gopher

GD link
Thanks I couldn't find it either.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm in the Tomball area, Anyone carpooling from the Houston area?
View Quote
I'm in Houston & going.

Email works best.

Anyone else interested?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Inbound
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#44]
We meeting anywhere in particular on the grounds, or simply "the front?"
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:31:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We meeting anywhere in particular on the grounds, or simply "the front?"
View Quote
I'll be parking in the visitors parking structure. Lots of traffic right now. If you guys can choose a rally, I'll find it
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm here. I'm gonna just head in.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm on my way, too
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:16:21 AM EDT
[#48]
At the cafeteria

@barnbwt
I have a red beard and am in a suit.

ETA: pushed to the Senate chamber since it's 20 till.

Don't see anyone else. Yet.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#49]
In the Cafeteria with the wife unit and ilmac25
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
In the Cafeteria with the wife unit and ilmac25
View Quote
Go ahead and push to the Senate chamber on the 2nd floor. Grab a testimony card and fill it out whether you're submitting a written or oral testimony or just registering support for the 2A.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top