Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 5:10:57 PM EDT
What's the best/fastest way to repair damage in the field? Drag stuff behind the tractor? Plow it? Disc it? Scrape it with the front end loader?

I don't have a disc, I've got a small set of cultivators and another small set for turning up single rows. I do have a grader blade, but I don't think it will fit on my bigger tractor.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I usually back drag mine with the loader, but will use the box blade if it gets real bad close to a fence.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, box blade unless it is a huge area.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Prevention is best repair. Set out a trap/pen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I ran my disk over it then drag it with an old tractor tire or box blade. If your close to North of houston i have a disk u can use.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prevention is best repair. Set out a trap/pen.
View Quote
They wont go near the trap. We've been baiting, setting up at 5am. We've heard them, but i dont think our halfass little blind is in the right position. Gonna change it up this week.

Ive also got a snare rated for hogs and mountain lion. I think im gonna set it on a hole in the fence and see what kind of trouble we can stir up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

They wont go near the trap. We've been baiting, setting up at 5am. We've heard them, but i dont think our halfass little blind is in the right position. Gonna change it up this week.

Ive also got a snare rated for hogs and mountain lion. I think im gonna set it on a hole in the fence and see what kind of trouble we can stir up.
View Quote
Do not attach the snare to the fence.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#7]
what state and area of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what state and area of the state are you in?
View Quote
Let's just say it's in a place where our benevolent municipal leaders would frown upon my actions. Trapping is only going to get you so far.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:39:49 PM EDT
[#9]
On our place, it seems every time there's some fresh ground, they tear it up.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#10]
How big is your trap?  I have noticed over the years that smaller traps, say 8' x 4' might catch them once but they learn quick.  Bigger traps like we used in south Texas were 16' x 8' and we would fill them every night.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Let's just say it's in a place where our benevolent municipal leaders would frown upon my actions. Trapping is only going to get you so far.
View Quote
Pretty sure you could use a crossbow or archery equipment on your own property in a situation like that where discharging firearms are prohibited under law.

In Dallas in an area that I frequent there is a large corral trap that has caught many dozens of hogs. All of them, save for one big smart trapwise boar. He just wrecks and makes a mess of things. A one man wrecking crew. Hunting would be the obvious solution but would be unlawful given the setting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#12]
They won't go in my corral trap. Corn just rots inside there.

They have no problem pushing under a 6ft chain link fence though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#13]
The BEST way to repair damage is with the BLOOD OF DEAD HOGS ELIMINATED ON SITE!  

Their bodies will stink for awhile, but the rotting flesh will help the soil....
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually I think I’ve figured out a way to make a smart corral gate/trap with an Amazon Alexa, a smart outlet and a linear actuator.

Already got the WiFi there, just gotta go into build mode. My back is jacked up for the moment, but soon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I think your answer is going to be a lot of tractor work.  I got property east of Livingston and they tore up my field in several places.  It was an area where my brother and me would plant a sizeable garden, but we haven't in a couple of years because the deer wiped us out two years in a row.  I just have to find the time to go work on the issue.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I think your answer is going to be a lot of tractor work.  I got property east of Livingston and they tore up my field in several places.  It was an area where my brother and me would plant a sizeable garden, but we haven't in a couple of years because the deer wiped us out two years in a row.  I just have to find the time to go work on the issue.
View Quote
Now i know who was shooting when i was trying to fish. ;) We really did hear people haveing a good time. Its hell fishing but wishing you were shooting.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:12:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File

Well we finally caught one in the trap and it jumped a 52” panel. I’m not as surprised that it jumped so much as it bent the top of the panel getting out of there. Starting to wonder just how big this sob is.

They tore another hole in the bottom of the chain link fence. I can’t find my snare, got 4 more on order. I’m gonna catch something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top