Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 3:24:07 PM EDT
Hi -

First post on AR15.com and new to AR style rifles.  I've been shooting long guns and hunting all my life but recently decided to try something different.  I bought a Ruger SR556n last month and have enjoyed it.  Installed a Leupold Mark AR 1-4 Green Dot scope and love it.  Just had zeroed it in at 50 yards but am thinking about moving it out to 100, any thoughts on that?

I'm also new to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and am looking for a good place to shoot.  Coming from Oregon where FREE shooting opportunities are limited, it has been a bit of a challenge finding a good range.  I've been going to the Alpine range (live in Mansfield) and am not too impressed.  The fact that they don't allow jacketed ammo really bumps up the cost of shooting.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi!  Congrats on your new toy.  Your sighting distance is up to you.  What do you want to do with it?   If its a defensive weapon then 50 yards is fine.  If its a hunting rifle then 100 is fine.  Or put it out as far as you can consistently break a clay pigeon.

Also post in the piston subsection with some pics!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger makes a solid rifle. I had one for a while when I lost my sanity and thought pistons were the way to. Now that I am medicated, I'm back to DI. Never had any problem with that Ruger though. 50 yard zero FTW!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always done a 25/300 yd zero with no issues. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
50 yard zero for my AR's.

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
50 yard zero for my AR's.
View Quote

+1.

Gets you within 3 inches at any distance out to 275 yards or so.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top