Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 6:19:59 AM EDT
Kid locked in Bass Pro Shop gun safe
By BRUCE FELPS
Updated 2:30 PM CDT, Tue, Sep 7, 2010

In a case of life imitating art(?), the “Family Guy” episode about Brian and Stewie getting locked in a bank vault aired Sunday night.

The next day, that would be Monday for those of you keeping score at home, a 16-year-old boy — presumably sans dog — somehow got himself locked in a gun safe at the Bass Pro Shop in Grapevine.

It probably wasn’t as funny as the “Family Guy” episode. Store employees tried to open the safe by using the combination, which makes sense, but for some unexplained reason, the digital pad failed to respond.

The fire department was called while someone from the shop called the safe manufacturer. Rescue personnel drilled a hole in the back of the safe, ran a tube in there to give the kid some oxygen, and a few minutes later the combination pad reset, the door opened, the kid emerged, and tragedy was averted.

In a case of life imitating a slow news day, that was about it, according to city officials in Grapevine. OK, folks, show’s over. Move along, please, move along. Nothing to see here.

Bruce Felps owns and operates East Dallas Times, an online community news outlet serving the White Rock Lake area. This is why he doesn’t mess with guns. He’s claustrophobic.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Whew, I hope it was a big one at least.  And thats why all my safes have manual locks.  That digital stuff is for the birds.

And that episode of Family guy was one of the worst.  I really like that show, but I didnt even finish watching that one.  I changed the channel somewhere near the diaper scene.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Not too brite for a 16 year old. I bet his father was proud!
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#3]

A real winner coming up in the gene pool...
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, the kid is not the brightest and his parents are to blame for not keeping an eye on their kid, but how F'ed up is that Bass Pro for not knowing how to get into the safes they sell?    Not like no one has ever been locked in a safe before.  Most stores I've seen keep the safes locked at all times unless you ask an employee to unlock it and then they stay there with you until they close/lock it again.  I bet some employees and store managers get to retake some training soon.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Sale on slightly used safe.

Custom Modified by GFD to insure air flow to the contents.

Call Grapevine Bass Pro Shop for price.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
That happened at Sam's Club in Grand Prairie around '98. One kid closed the safe on his little brother. It was like the Benny Hill show trying to find the combination/paperwork in the accounting office. The managers were kissing the parents ass big time.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, the kid is not the brightest and his parents are to blame for not keeping an eye on their kid, but how F'ed up is that Bass Pro for not knowing how to get into the safes they sell?    Not like no one has ever been locked in a safe before.  Most stores I've seen keep the safes locked at all times unless you ask an employee to unlock it and then they stay there with you until they close/lock it again.  I bet some employees and store managers get to retake some training soon.

Keep an eye on a 16 year old? By that age the dipshit should know better. If he requires constant supervision he should not be allowed near sharp objects- like fish hooks.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That happened at Sam's Club in Grand Prairie around '98. One kid closed the safe on his little brother. It was like the Benny Hill show trying to find the combination/paperwork in the accounting office. The managers were kissing the parents ass big time.

Free safe?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#9]
A missing detail:  Who closed the securing bolts?.  I'm not aware of any large safes that secure automatically.  Some fool helped him get locked in the safe.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:18:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free safe?

Not that I know of. A couple of us did get talked to because we laughed and made rude comments about the members and their kids.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, if they did get a free safe I have an idea. First I lock you in a safe and you get one free, then you lock me in a safe and I get a free one. Think of it- an Arfcom fire mission to end all fire missions. Thousands of Arfcommers all locked in gunsafes at the same time.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep an eye on a 16 year old? By that age the dipshit should know better. If he requires constant supervision he should not be allowed near sharp objects- like fish hooks.

Jim

Ok, let me rephrase.  Parents fault for raising a potato head kid.  That said,  if you have been around any 16 year olds/teenagers, most aren't exactly rocket scientists.  Get 2 or more together without adult supervision and the odds of them doing something stupid greatly increases.  I'm guessing you were a well behaved choir boy when you were 16?.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jim

Ok, let me rephrase.  Parents fault for raising a potato head kid.  That said,  if you have been around any 16 year olds/teenagers, most aren't exactly rocket scientists.  Get 2 or more together without adult supervision and the odds of them doing something stupid greatly increases. I'm guessing you were a well behaved choir boy when you were 16?.

I was an athlete- football, and a Boy Scout. Basically I was the standard to which all of you lesser mortals struggled to meet- and failed miserably.

I do understand about 16 year olds- especially when 2 or more are together. i think it's something like the inverse of the square of intelligence or something. I swear when I was a teenager we weren't as dumb as they are now.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I can hear the father calling him now.....

Darwin, where are you ?

Dammit Darwin where the hell are you now?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:53:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Man, if they did get a free safe I have an idea. First I lock you in a safe and you get one free, then you lock me in a safe and I get a free one. Think of it- an Arfcom fire mission to end all fire missions. Thousands of Arfcommers all locked in gunsafes at the same time.

Jim

It's a tarp!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:11:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Second time that has happened in a Texas Bass Pro in a year! I was in the Grapevine store last December safe shopping and if you look at the back of the card that sits on top of the safe it has the combo. The guy told me they put it on every floor safe because a couple weeks earlier they had a kid at another location get locked in one. They couldn't find the combo very fast so that's why they put the combos on those tags. If you look, they are on that card sometimes folded inside it but you can pull it out easy enuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top