Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2009 10:57:40 AM EDT
Is it legal to search through somebodys trash in Texas?
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's at the curb yes.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the exact placement of the trash in relation to the curb/easement AND how brave someone would have to be to try it.... Prolly not a great idea.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Depends on the exact placement of the trash in relation to the curb/easement AND how brave someone would have to be to try it.... Prolly not a great idea.

I'm not sure what that means but there is no expectation of privacy to something that has been discarded.  See California v. Greenwood.

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure what that means but there is no expectation of privacy to something that has been discarded.  See California v. Greenwood.

Liable to get an ass kickin for going through the trash when it's still at the curb.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It means that not everyone gives a flying rat shit about California or Greenwood. Get Off My Lawn®...

It will work out for you far better in principle than in practice, in the VAST majority of attempts. Clear yet?

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Liable to get an ass kickin for going through the trash when it's still at the curb.

I think you mean that someone might try to assault him, resulting in his having to defend himself.  Not likely if you do it right.  And even so, I am no badass but I am not taking an ass kicking from someone when I am engaging in a lawful activity.

Do NOT use any information you obtain for any unlawful purpose.  Be sure and shred any information that could be used to steal someone's identity.  

Your best bet, if you need this for a divorce, child custody or other legitimate reason is to hire a PI.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It means that not everyone gives a flying rat shit about California or Greenwood. Get Off My Lawn®...
 Oh my, you frighten me.  What would you DO?

It will work out for you far better in principle than in practice, in the VAST majority of attempts. Clear yet?

BS.  I have done dozens of trash pick ups.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
A few suggestions...

Don't throw away anything you wouldn't want the police, a private investigator, or an identity thief to find.
Shredders are your friend.
Don't put your trash out until as close as possible to pickup time.
If someone is trying to take or search your trash, you may be under investigation or targeted for identity theft.  Make note of license plates and if possible get photo evidence of anyone tampering with your trash if possible.  If you confront the person, keep in mind they may try to defend themselves.
Make it as unpleasant as possible for anyone to search through your trash.  If you put your worst stinky garbage on top of or mixed in with the rest of it, they may just decide it isn't worth the trouble to search through it.
Consider hauling your own trash to the dump and/or incinerating your trash (if that is legal).
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
How GREAT everything must smell after being in the Hot Texas sun!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How GREAT everything must smell after being in the Hot Texas sun!

BIGGER_HAMMER

I shred everything...  the shreds are mixed in with the kitchen garbage.  Then after the kitchen garbage goes in the can the cat boxes get emptied on top of it...
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Be aware that while the State does not have any laws against it, individual municipality's may have enacted ordinances within city limits that make it against the law to pick up trash without a permit.

It's only a C misdemeanor, but be aware it's possible.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course hero's like you are excluded from being ejected from lawns, that wasn't quite what we were discussing, but thanks for your input. May your trash digging expeditions be peaceful and fruitful.  I'll bet you don't do it when you are likely to be seen, or confronted, do you? It's good to know you are willing to defend identity thieves and stalkers. Not a surprise, however. The "Dumpster Diver" threads are usually entertaining. Please continue...    

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course hero's like you are excluded from being ejected from lawns, that wasn't quite what we were discussing, but thanks for your input. May your trash digging expeditions be peaceful and fruitful.  I'll bet you don't do it when you are likely to be seen, or confronted, do you? It's good to know you are willing to defend identity thieves. Not a surprise, however. The "Dumpster Diver" threads are usually entertaining. Please continue...    

Ok, hero, what would you do if I walked up to the curb and pulled your trash from the dumpster right in front you, the big, bad internet tough guy?  Humm?

Also notice I told him to hire a PI, but that fact would not suit your ill-advised and ill informed rant.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A few suggestions...

Don't throw away anything you wouldn't want the police, a private investigator, or an identity thief to find.
If someone is trying to take or search your trash, you may be under investigation or targeted for identity theft.  Make note of license plates and if possible get photo evidence of anyone tampering with your trash if possible.  If you confront the person, keep in mind they may try to defend themselves.
Make it as unpleasant as possible for anyone to search through your trash.  If you put your worst stinky garbage on top of or mixed in with the rest of it, they may just decide it isn't worth the trouble to search through it.
Consider hauling your own trash to the dump and/or incinerating your trash (if that is legal).

Good Advice.  You would be amazed what I have learned about people from one trash haul.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course hero's like you are excluded from being ejected from lawns, that wasn't quite what we were discussing, but thanks for your input. May your trash digging expeditions be peaceful and fruitful.  I'll bet you don't do it when you are likely to be seen, or confronted, do you? It's good to know you are willing to defend identity thieves. Not a surprise, however. The "Dumpster Diver" threads are usually entertaining. Please continue...    

Ok, hero, what would you do if I walked up to the curb and pulled your trash from the dumpster right in front you, the big, bad internet tough guy?  Humm?

Also notice I told him to hire a PI, but that fact would not suit your ill-advised and ill informed rant.

Your bait to break the coc will go unbitten, hero.... At least you don't deny putting the rights of identity thieves and stalkers over those of homeowners. Again, not a surprise.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Hell yeah the weeks worth of 2 giant cat boxes from 4 cats goes on top of every can  if you want something your gonna have to earn it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 3:08:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you mean that someone might try to assault him, resulting in his having to defend himself.  Not likely if you do it right.  And even so, I am no badass but I am not taking an ass kicking from someone when I am engaging in a lawful activity.

Do NOT use any information you obtain for any unlawful purpose.  Be sure and shred any information that could be used to steal someone's identity.  

Your best bet, if you need this for a divorce, child custody or other legitimate reason is to hire a PI.  

Because it's lawful doesn't mean it's morally or ethically acceptable.

See?  It goes both ways.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

All right. Keep the trash talk down. use of force to protect something you threw away is foolish. If you throw out valuable items in the trash do you also leave your doors and safe open?

Shread/burn sensitive documents (bills, statements et al). Identity theft is a big issue, but it's usually gained from the mailbox not the trash can.

Oh, and to the poster who said trash in the August sun......Budy, you've got no idea.

Last summer on a stakeout, one of our PI's did an 8hr shift in a hurby curby.

One of the many times it sucks to be the rookie....

There must have been some damn good money involved...

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
A few suggestions...

You should make sure the shredder is a cross shredder too. If not you can still piece the papers back together. I saw a piece on the news about 10 years ago, some prison somewhere was using inmates to shred documents like checks etc. from banks etc. The shredders were not cross shredders and the news people took some of the material out and were able to put some of the stuff together. Think about it ,if it shreds only one direction and you put it through without cross cutting there will be lines with account numbers etc.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#21]
The fine art of Garbology!  I may or may not have engaged in this a time or two in the scope and purpose of my employment.  As with anything the details matter but in general it is completely legal.  But you would usually engage in this at times you are not prone to being observed, nobody wants a nosey neighbor telling them you snatched their trash.

As far as the Billy Bad Ass treatment goes; so you are going to assault someone who has not broken the law because you feel like it?  
Enjoy one of the many prizes you may have just won:

1.  Getting your ass kicked.
2.  A nice ride to the police station from Officer Friendly.
3.  If things really get stupid, getting shot in a case of justified self defense because your britches were too big for you and wedged up your...

You may not like it, but it's legal.  So shred or burn your intimate details before throwing them out rather than causing yourself trouble over engaging the pseudo garbage man.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm not surprised that Dumpster Diving is a great source of Intel on what is going on at a location.

+100 on maximizing the destruction of anything you put out if you do not want to come back and bite you in the behind when you least expect it.

when I was a young boy in growing up in Houston, one of my best friends dad was a semi-famous P.I. of rich and famous in Houston.  The stories we heard from him!

He told us once of a trash haul from the curb of a mistress to a very rich husband of a very famous couple and that they found a number of used condoms.  When very rich cheating hubby was informed that those nasty old rubbers full of his baby batter could be documented as coming from the place he was documented to have "visited" so many times (this was pre the incredible DNA technology of today - today you could nail someone on both ends of She Did He with DNA) do you think he was a Happy Camper?

Even less so when the trash scan located some bank statements and empty mailing envelopes from Rich Hubby to Hussy that matched funds going to her account.

Those nasty condoms and the paper trail made for very short work in divorce court (or so I heard!)

Really think that there days there may be times that I would like to have a backyard incinerator like my grandparents had in small town Oklahoma.  It is ON your property (prevents other party from legally accessing your trash) and would seem to do a pretty good job of getting rid of most of the stuff that could get your Identity stolen.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Ben Bernanke gets hit with Identity theft - Link to Story
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The fine art of Garbology!  I may or may not have engaged in this a time or two in the scope and purpose of my employment.  As with anything the details matter but in general it is completely legal.  But you would usually engage in this at times you are not prone to being observed, nobody wants a nosey neighbor telling them you snatched their trash.

As far as the Billy Bad Ass treatment goes; so you are going to assault someone who has not broken the law because you feel like it?  

3.  If things really get stupid, getting shot in a case of justified self defense because your britches were too big for you and wedged up your...

You may not like it, but it's legal.  So shred or burn your intimate details before throwing them out rather than causing yourself trouble over engaging the pseudo garbage man.

Ahh, another dumpster diver defending stalkers and identity thieves.... There are some other potential "Prizes" in your grand sweepstakes you conveniently forgot to mention. Go around and test your theory, in the daylight, & let me know how that works out for ya.... It's legal, right? Why sneak around like a criminal if you have nothing to fear? I love these threads, it always brings out the cream of the crop.    
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

You aren't going to just sit in your house while someone dumps your trash out all over the sidewalk.

I doubt any of you would.

I also bet you would have serious problems with your neighbor if he/she dug through your trash every day.  Dumped your trashcans out.  Stole your herby curby. etc etc.

I quote - "scrutiny of another's trash is contrary to commonly accepted notions of civilized behavior."

Hiding behind "it's legal" doesn't make it o.k.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#25]
There is a lot of stuff in this world that is not "Right" by my personal code of life, but sadly that a lot of those things are "Legal" in the eyes of the law doesn't change the fact that people can get away with it... (for now at least!)

Just know that some things you can fight if you had too, and somethings you only hurt yourself if you fight.  

Yell at the Crazy Ol' Bat next door to stay out of your trash...  O.K.   Taking a shot at a investigator (L.E.O. or otherwise) not so O.K.

[gump]" ... And That's All I Have To Say About That"  [/gump]

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Hell, someone stole my recycling bin 3 months ago and I'm still waiting on a new one.

The city/CWD says they have to do an AUDIT of the recycling bins and then charge me for the replacement...

Who the F#CK stole my recycling bin! I've got cans piling up......

Oh, and good luck digging through my cat's turds for gold

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 4:58:43 AM EDT
[#27]
fill trash can with angry bees...hilarity ensues

or go with the 12ga beanbag....just remember to pick it up after they blackout.......

If you're really bored you can go with something really elaborate like commo wire buried in the front yard that sends 240v to said trashcan....if its plastic just add a few contacts with a rivetgun...........if unattended you MUST put this on a timer to turn off before the real garbage guy shows up

The opportunities are endless
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Done right like grabbing the garbage bags and hauling them away to inspect later would have no expectation to privacy. However, if you start rummaging through a trash can at the locale and start tossing the trash on the lawn or street, that's littering. Don't MESS with Texas.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]
This is a good thread. Someone kept going through my trash once. I took a dump in a shoebox put the top back on and set it out there. I still laugh when I think about it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ahh, another dumpster diver defending stalkers and identity thieves.... There are some other potential "Prizes" in your grand sweepstakes you conveniently forgot to mention. Go around and test your theory, in the daylight, & let me know how that works out for ya.... It's legal, right? Why sneak around like a criminal if you have nothing to fear? I love these threads, it always brings out the cream of the crop.    

Stalkers and identity thieves?  Try multi-million dollar corporate law cases.  As I stated it is legal, however why would we would want to tip off someone that their casually discard financial are being gathered for court?  Small minds think small, thank you Mr. Tiny.  Sorry internet tough guy, I could care less what you personally have in your trash; enough beer cans to build a battleship and your shit stained underthings don't seem to valuable.  So go ahead and you be the one to instigate a confrontation against someone not breaking the law, enjoy the results.

Damn rednecks...
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 8:31:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You aren't going to just sit in your house while someone dumps your trash out all over the sidewalk.

There is a difference between grabbing and dumping.  I agree nobody would sit by if someone was just dumping their trash around.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#33]
My apologies, I dislike being referred to as a criminal from one advocating unjustified violence in return.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is a good thread. Someone kept going through my trash once. I took a dump in a shoebox put the top back on and set it out there. I still laugh when I think about it.

You should have put a litle note in the box like "This bud's for you trash rat!"  maybe with a bow too
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Yeah that would have been a nice touch. It just ticked me off. I don't care whether it's legal or not going through someone's trash is just not cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Check local ads for good deals on shredders.  We bought two crosscuts at Staples for $19.99 each.  They came with a wire can and some auto thingy that never really worked... ah so what.  Three years and still going strong.  Sucks that we have to do this but now that we are in the habit it isn't so bad.

The BEST way to keep a low rent dumpster diver out of your personal life is too rent a locked mailbox at a UPS Store.  We used to have a PO box but that presented all kinds of shipping problems.  All of our mail goes to a keyed lock box (24 hr access), all of our packages are signed and locked until WE sign for them and pick them up and they email us when something is there, it costs $120 per year without the concern over security.

The mailtards in our area just dump mail in whatever boxes at the wrong address.  We put it in the right box but our neighbors never do.

ETA:  http://www.theupsstore.com/

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#37]
SHRED EEEEVVVEERRRTTHHHIIIINNNNGGGGGGGG!!!!!

THEN......BURN IT!!!!
later......mr.t.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I once caught a PI going through my mail when I lived in town.  My mail box was mounted next to my front door.  The PIs were so enthralled at what they were finding in broad daylight on a busy town street, they never noticed me flanking them and putting them at a disadvantage.  After going through their wallets that they had to sit on the ground with their backs to me, I was satisfied as to their identity.  After the interrogation, I warned them never to set foot on my property or contract my wife.

I gave them a ten minute head start before calling the local police.  I did not press charges and the police did not seem all that interested in the incident.

As it turned out the PIs were looking for someone with the same name as my wife.  I learned this during the interrogation.

The funny thing is how compliant these jokers were.  One man and one woman.  I never produced a weapon and never threatened them with violence.  They got the "Command Big Boy Voice" treatment.  They did look kind of dissapointed when I finally let them turn to see me and not a plural presence!
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Going through your mail? WTF! This duo were obviously not very good at the whole PI thing; first breaking the law and then dropping by a residence based on a name match alone?  Sounds like fine graduates from one of the so-called PI schools.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#40]
I can never find it online but I know of a case, perhaps 8 years ago, where a man shot and killed a vagrant that kept going through his trash.  He shot him from the second story window of his home with a shotgun.  The vagrant repeatedly went through this homeowners trash until he had had enough.  I believe the grand jury voted no bill on him.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Going through your mail? WTF! This duo were obviously not very good at the whole PI thing; first breaking the law and then dropping by a residence based on a name match alone?  Sounds like fine graduates from one of the so-called PI schools.

Recon by Fire:
You would really wonder about their tactics as there was a construction crew working on a retaining wall just behind and to the rear of my home that backed up to a business on a corner.  The owner of that company is a personal friend of mine, and he is the one that alerted me to their presence when he asked me if I knew who the people in the truck belonged to.  That is one of the reasons I did not press charges.  I don't really believe that they knew they were breaking the law.  One thing that we all need to know is to control emotion espcially me.  It was upsetting to me to see these two morons going through my mail just because it was mine and not theirs.  I took a long first breath to take the edge off of my anger before I acted.

It is my opinion that I will never see them again if they can help it.  Getting scared by someone who clearly knows how to handle prisoners the military way left an impression on them.  Whether they think I am crazy or belong to a law enforcement organization, which I don't, is not important.  My actions removed them from my property without incident or anyone getting hurt.
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Trash is one thing...  but going through someone's mail is a federal felony.  Being a PI does not make it legal, and they should have known better.  For that matter unless they've got a warrant, I believe it is illegal even for a cop to search through someone's mail...
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#43]
So did these mail snoopers actually have state issued PI pocket cards for ID, or did they just claim to be PI's and had the usual DL?  I've seen people operating in the field claiming to be PI's and performing actions that require a PI license but they were not licensed at all (which is a criminal offense in TX).  I hate to say it, but i've also seen too many PI's who just had no clue also.  either way these goofs should have known better than to touch the US mail.  That is just bizarre because we have many assets available to collect so much personal information from the PC or telephone, why would you waste the time to make a personal appearance?  Sounds like someone doesn't know how to do their homework!

For the really paranoid out there; a shredder alone may not even be enough to protect your refuse.  I've seen some pretty impressive forensic reconstruction of shredded documents done with a scanner and pc program.  Granted not the kind of stuff your local techno-geek has, this was IRS pc forensic agents.  But then again, that was some time ago.  Burning seems to be best!
Link Posted: 8/30/2009 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Ok, hero, what would you do if I walked up to the curb and pulled your trash from the dumpster right in front you, the big, bad internet tough guy? Humm?

What would you do if someone pointed a shotgun at you or shot you while you were doing this?

Just wondering?

Anytime you go skulking around at night on someone's property, you are taking your life into your own hands.

Link Posted: 8/30/2009 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So did these mail snoopers actually have state issued PI pocket cards for ID, or did they just claim to be PI's and had the usual DL?  I've seen people operating in the field claiming to be PI's and performing actions that require a PI license but they were not licensed at all (which is a criminal offense in TX).  I hate to say it, but i've also seen too many PI's who just had no clue also.  either way these goofs should have known better than to touch the US mail.  That is just bizarre because we have many assets available to collect so much personal information from the PC or telephone, why would you waste the time to make a personal appearance?  Sounds like someone doesn't know how to do their homework!

For the really paranoid out there; a shredder alone may not even be enough to protect your refuse.  I've seen some pretty impressive forensic reconstruction of shredded documents done with a scanner and pc program.  Granted not the kind of stuff your local techno-geek has, this was IRS pc forensic agents.  But then again, that was some time ago.  Burning seems to be best!

Recon by Fire:
This happened around five years ago.  If I remember correctly, the cards were light blue.  The thing that confused me the most was the fact that the cards specifically said "no firearms".  I could not get over how someone in that line of business is not allowed to be armed.  During my "interrogation" I made a big deal out of this aspect on their identification.  I asked what appeared to be the ranking PI why he could not carry a firearm.  I asked if he was a felon that was not allowed possession of firearms.  He told me that PIs are not allowed to carry a firearm in the performance of their duties.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#46]
On the flip side, every other trash day, some A-hole fills up my can with his or her trash, they are careful enough to remove anything that would have a name on it..kinda annoying.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
If it's at the curb yes.

Not in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Carrying a firearm depends on what type of license you hold under DPS.  For the most part, a PI will not be armed.  But is is possible to hold a PI license and be armed.  Anything that would preclude you from owning a firearm will also preclude you from working as a PI, so they cannot be a felon working as an investigator.  More than likely, they hold a Class A license and are not insured for being armed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top