Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 10:17:39 PM EDT
So, my life is pretty much awful and I'm thinking about a change of scenery. I don't really have any ties here in Nevada, and was thinking about going somewhere I've never been. Texas is a place I've never been! So. I'm thinkin' that I should poke my membership in here and drop some queries on y'all.

1. Is my Nevada CCW accepted in Texas? I'm sure five seconds on packing.org could tell me, but I figured it'd be a great topic for discourse.

2. What are the 'good neighborhoods' in the D / FW area? Like all megolopolises, there are 'good parts' and 'bad parts' and 'scary parts.' I'd like to know what suburbs and assorted cities within the Dallas / Ft. Worth metroplex are suitable for apartment-hunting.

3. How many shekels are acceptable to shell out on a monthly-basis for a studio or one bedroom apartment in a 'not scary' part of town? Apartmentguide.com is telling me that I shouldn't be expecting to spend less than $500 of my Worthless Greater American Dollars on a place to stay.

I'm not very big on renting rooms in a house. I am incredibly distrustful of other human beings and don't feel that I would be incredibly comfortable driving halfway across this grand and glorious nation to be plunked down with a bunch of strangers in a house that's not 'mine.' It just creeps me out, yo.

Any help you might be able to offer would be much appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I am actually new to TX but can tell you that the NV CCW will be valid until expiration. After that, being a TX resident you will have to apply for the TX one.

There are a lot of good places but keep in mind what's good for someone may not be good for another. For me the key was "stay away from the 820 loop". Also, I ended up renting a house cause if you compare the apartment prices with a house, there's not a lot of difference unless you want to rent (apt) in a bad area.

Do you have a job lined up? You also got to consider the driving distance cause most of the freeways are only two lanes and trafic during rush hour could be a PITA sometimes but it is not as bad as CA.

If you can give us more information about where specifically you want to live and what are you looking for then some of the other guys will help you too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:11:33 AM EDT
[#2]
820 is not that bad unless you travel east or west between I-35W & where 183/121/820 intersect on the NE side of Fort Worth and then your screwed during rush hour... The real problem is that is the fastest growing part of the city in up in the NE section of town...

Another bad section of the loop is between 183/121/820 on the NE side of Fort Worth traveling north or south to where I-20 intersects the portion of 820 South, otherwise you pretty much have 5 lanes of traffic or morons doing 55 in the middle lanes..... Hey move over to Dallas and get run over! Those folks do every bit of 80 & 90 over there and repeatly ass end everybody....

Oh, two other sections of roadway the Dept. of Public Safety hasent caught up with is west of 820 headed towards Weatherford, the I-30 freeway goes from 4 lanes in downtown to three lanes when you get to the Camp Bowie exit and when you pass Loop 820 on the west side of town the freeway squeeks down to 2 lanes for about 2.5 miles then it opens back up to 4 or 5 lanes wide....  The other section is downtown Fort Worth headed north to the Oklahoma/Texas border, it's 2 lanes all the way baby and it's always bumper to bumper.... The engineers for the Texas DPS waited too long till when they decided to start widening the freeways.

The section of freeway from I-35W to 183/121/820 over on the NE side of Fort Worth is the worst section of roadway period! When they decide to start that project it going to be a real mess, they havent even finsihed buying up all the frontage easemments from the looks bewteen 377 & Beach St... I hate traveling from my house over to Dallas cause I use that section of roadway and it sucks...

Hey, Welcome to Texas if you decide to move on down here...!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Both of the posts above relate to the Fort Worth side of D/FW.  There is about 30 miles of contiguous neighborhoods in between the two cities and things are just as tall as they are wide.  We are talking about an area that is at least 60+ miles wide and 30+ tall. It's not what it is like 20 miles out of Clark County.

One of the first things you need to do is get a map of the D/FW area and then anything you are told as to where things are will make sense.

What kind of work you do and how far you want to drive to and from will make a difference on where you may want to live, also.  You have to remember that the combined population of the Greater D/FW area probably exceeds the entire population for the state of NV.

Check the following link for correct CHL (CCW. to you) information.
www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

I did not see a specific answer to the question as to the validity of your NV CCW being "good" until you apply for and receive a TX-CHL.  As long as you are an out of state "visitor", you are probably OK. You might give the TX-DPS a call and ask.  Finding out what a local jail cell looks like from the inside is probaly low on your "things to do list" in getting settled here.

Come on down. You'll be welcome.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#4]

I did not see a specific answer to the question as to the validity of your NV CCW being "good" until you apply for and receive a TX-CHL.  As long as you are an out of state "visitor", you are probably OK. You might give the TX-DPS a call and ask.  Finding out what a local jail cell looks like from the inside is probaly low on your "things to do list" in getting settled here.

Come on down. You'll be welcome.

Not all the answers are in the website for sure. If you call them, they will transfer you to the legal department and for someone who is relocating and becoming a TX resident with an out of state CCW will work until expiration. As long that is reciprocal (sp). Just call, ask and get some literature or letter so you can be sure.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 1:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I have some other friends from the area strongly discouraging me from moving out that way, however. It's a moot point anyway, as I can barely afford to live as is, let alone up and move cross-country.

I don't understand how dirty hippies can do it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You get your money for nothing and your chicks for free!  

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top