Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 2:46:28 PM EDT
Took this boar about 8am from 40 yards in a tripod with my Bushy Vmatch.  He was on the run, so first shot was a little skewed but, I took care of it.
Shot him with a 75 gr TAP, or should i say 6- 75 gr TAPs before he quit skirming.
First one took him down but I wasn't gonna go screw with him until he was dead.

Didn't field dress him but we guess he wieghed about 225 and was over 30 inches tall.

First pig ever.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
congrats, nice pig, I must say, arnt they a ton of fun to hunt!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
you keep shooting him from where you were, or did you walk up to him to pump 5 more rounds into him....

you going to eat it?

we? who all went?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#3]
now that is a BIG rat

nice one, i never can manage to see one
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you keep shooting him from where you were, or did you walk up to him to pump 5 more rounds into him....

1st shot from behind (running away) between the shoulder blades
2nd shot same as first
3rd behind left shoulder
4th same shot as 3rd
5 and 6th, base of the skull from behind

tough little bastard

you going to eat it?

nope, nasty little terd, smelled shit and puke, dinner for the coyotes and buzzards

we? who all went?

me and some buddies to one of there ranches

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice little hog. Terrible waste of some great table fare.  Wild Hogs are great tasting.  There are several people who catch them, export overseas and sale the meat locally.

Next time, clean it up and quarter it out.  You can make some great smoked pork from one or two or three....

Like most things... you got it licked once you get passed the smell.

Be safe,
Leonard
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
a reason to have a local BBQ.... in fact, we are having one on the 8th, at Tom Bean....
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:32:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Were you using tracers?  I heard that area was hard hit by the fires!

Seriously though (and I have NO problem whatsoever with folks shooting/killing feral hogs), but it DOES seem a shame to let it go to waste.  I read about a program in Oklahoma where you can deliver your deer, pig, whatever to a participating processor, pay a $10 fee and they'll clean it up and hand it over to charity.  
Is there such a program here?  I'm not a hunter, but if I knew of such a program, I'd tell all my friends who DO hunt about it. Plenty of hungry and homeless in this country while good meat rots in the field.

BTW - nice kill.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:46:07 AM EDT
[#8]
no on the tracers...that place was a dust bowl\ tender box.

I am still coiughing up dust.

I didn't hear of any places to donate it but proabably should have asked.

If it had been a sow, I definately would have butchered it but about 10%(some say higher in wild boars) of boars carry a gene that creates a chemical in the meat that smells like shit when you cook it.  Thats why almost all store bought pork is from sows. Didn't feel like chancing it with this natsy bugger.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#10]
First, at the range I shoot 1.5 to 2 inch groups with a CQ/T that has a 3moa dot. So no complaints with that part of it. I have seen people post .5in groups with scoped rifles.

No FTF or other function issues at all.

For hunting,  I want to shoot some other game before I make a final decision.

My first shot, was between the shoulder blades from behind and above. The hog dropped where it was and squirmed a little.  I think the biggest problem is my lack of knowledge on where to shot a hog in that position, I didn't know where to put a finishing a shot.  Also, this being a large boar, I wasn't about to treat it like a deer and go slit its throat if needed.  I would have preferred an ear hole shot but the rear base of the skull seemed to do the job.

I truly believe the first shot would have done the job, but I was anxious, hung over and ready to go back to bed so he got 5 more until I was satisfied.

I am going deer hunting tomorrow, so hopefully we will get more data then.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:38:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it had been a sow, I definately would have butchered it but about 10%(some say higher in wild boars) of boars carry a gene that creates a chemical in the meat that smells like shit when you cook it.  Thats why almost all store bought pork is from sows. Didn't feel like chancing it with this natsy bugger.

So what do you think of TAP ammo? I've sold some of it and have some coming in today. I'll be selling it at the Shoot on Saturday.

Sorry to go off topic, but just wondering.

damn coz, you selling ammo too?

what ya go and how much
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#12]
There is an organization in Texas for hunters to donate the meat to charity.  I do not have the info handy but most places that sell hunting license have the brochures
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:59:40 AM EDT
[#13]
the brain is usually a good place to shoot them.  then the spine.  kinda work your ways from there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#14]
we shoot them in the ear. sounds like that one would have died of lead posion
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#15]
didn't have the ear shot so i had to improvise....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#16]
My brother  just bought some acreage near Cottonwood.  We were out there during the fire and went through Cross Plains  the next day.  It looked like a f*cking war zone on the NW side of town.  The destruction was total in some areas.  Pretty bad shit and I feel bad for those folks having that happen to them 2 days after Christmas and that it happened at all.

Back to topic.....damn nice hog!  They do make good eating though.  Roasted over an open fire is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:37:50 AM EDT
[#17]

If it had been a sow, I definately would have butchered it but about 10%(some say higher in wild boars) of boars carry a gene that creates a chemical in the meat that smells like shit when you cook it. Thats why almost all store bought pork is from sows. Didn't feel like chancing it with this natsy bugger.

Maybe 50 percent is from sows, barrows (bars) makeup the other.  

I always thought if you cut the boars nuts after the kill, this would keep the meat from stinking when you cook it.

It is kind of a waste to let the boar lay. At least hack off the hams and loins.

B_S
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top