Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 2:32:17 PM EDT
All right there is a possibility I may be moving to Dallas in the middle of next year.  It's down to either Jacksonville or Dallas, I've got a flock of kids so housing and school districts are a big issue.  So a five bedroom home in a good school area goes for what in Dallas, what are tax's like and I'm not to interested in a great big lawn.  Just enough for my dog to poop on.  Next thing is there any where to ride ATV's/shoot/fish, last but not least what is the hunting like.  Thanks Guys.    
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
In Dallas proper, you won't find a decent public school.  Outlying communities with decent schools and housing are plentiful, though.  In what part of the Dallas area will your employment be located?

What do you consider a reasonable price for a 5 bedroom house?  That will be helpful in guiding you to appropriate areas.  

No state income tax, sales tax runs about 8.25%, property taxes are around 4% (depending on where you live).

Tons of places to hunt and fish, but most of the state is private land.  Leases are the most common way to procure a place, but there is some public land to play on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be working at the Naval Air Station, it's called NAS Dallas but I believe it's around Fort Worth.  The price range I'm looking at is about $210,000.00, I've got to keep the wife happy on this one as I'm taking her out of Georgia.  She has never lived outside of Ga before.  I really need to get the kids into a good school district as well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok.  Since the NAS is in FT. Worth (old Carswell AFB) you should consider Grapevine, or Colleyville Texas as a place to park your family.
Why???
The Grapevine/Colleyville School District is one of the top 10 in the Nation from what I hear...
Plus the homes are nice...
The drive to Carswell would not be too bad, as there are multiple routes to navigate through the Rush Hour Traffic.  My Brother in Law is in the Air Force and drives to Lockhead Plant that shares runways with NAS, and he lives in Grapevine.   If you choose Grapevine area, then I can put you in touch with him, and he can give you all the traffic pointers...

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
"5 bedroom house for $210,000" and "Grapevine/Colleyville" may not compute.

I don't know much about other Tarrant County neighborhoods.  

Bud
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
True, True...
But I've seen some 4 bedrms going in that range...

He'd definitely have to shop around...

The schools are hard to beat though...

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guy's the 5th bedroom was for an office, the boy's will double up.  So four b-rooms and a bonus room for an office would be great.  I would like a little room for my guns and stuff also, somewhere for me and the dog to hide from the family.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:30:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I would stay away from the airport.  Grapevine is close enough to get many LOUD flyovers...
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Isn't there a Naval Air Station in Dallas too, or did they close that one down when the converted Carswell over?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
there is still a naval air station dallas, however the only ones that use it are army guard. where you would be stationed is Naval Air Station Fort Worth, Joint Reserve Base(NASJRB) another place to look at is burleson. about 20-30 minutes from the base. great schools. my daughter goes there.   there are tons of houses in the area of the base for sale (arlington also,good schools) I live in what used to be base housing about 30 seconds from the front gate. Email me and i will get you some better or more info.  

of course you will have to join the dfw crew.

say no to jax. its mo' betta here anyway. (tiny base though)
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
If myself and the detailer can come to an agreement once I hit the window.  I'll be moving to Fort Worth and will be stationed at the Naval Air Station there.  Once I know for sure I'll post it, after I get moved in I'll throw a BBQ and let ya'll come visit.  So I'm assuming that I will be able to get a nice home for about what I've got to play with.  I'll get you good and toasty and find out all the good shooting/fishing spots and not have to waste time finding them myself.  As for joining the crew I'd love to, be warned though I'm a dodgy individual.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You better leave the BBQ to a native....We have laws against foreigners trying to imitate Texas BBQ.  

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 10:37:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You better leave the BBQ to a native....We have laws against foreigners trying to imitate Texas BBQ.  

Come on guys go easy..after all he is from the South.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top