Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2017 10:49:21 AM EDT
A lot of you are very active with WVCDL so may be able to answer this question better than others I have asked to included Sheriffs and Prosecuting Attorneys

Are edged and impact weapons (Saps, Slapjacks, Batons etc legal under the law with the constitutional carry bill?

I work in a courthouse and have asked some trusted Sheriffs deputies and the county prosecutor and their stances are either probably or I don't know.

Yall shed any light?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
A look at the exact law and how it is written is required but Google got me this tidbit:

"As of May 24, 2016,[3] West Virginia became a constitutional carry state. Any person 21 years or older who is legally able to own a handgun may carry the weapon concealed without the need of obtaining a permit"

By that it reads "Handgun".
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 8:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't have the code reference handy but if you are over 21 and can legally possess the weapon you can carry it.  Switchblades, swords, bazooka, whatever you want as long as you are not prohibited from owning it. The issue with anything other than a handgun is that various cities have their own laws/ordinances about them.  Handguns are the only "deadly weapon" that has preemption. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top