User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am going to the USAF Museum in Dayton that weekend but between then and now I don’t think I have any conflicts.

I can probably swing a 3hr radius from Wichita but no need to cater to just me lol.
View Quote

I think we should target Wichita and the KC area.  Besides you being a swell fellow there are some others in the Wichita area that are interested and it's a little closer for Notcalifornialegal too.  The KC metro area has a good number of interested persons too.  

@KC215 Have you hiked Shawnee Mission park?  Is it a moderate trail anyone can do or is it on the rugged side?  Any other trail networks ranging from bike/jogging paths to moderate trails you'd recommend instead?

Edit - I just saw you mentioned the Olathe Prairie Trail in an earlier post.  It's a 2.7 mile loop so almost perfect for people wanting to qualify for 3 or 6 miles and it looks like a much more tame trail than the one we just did so a little more friendly to beginners.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Those of you that had GPS devices what did you have and did they allow the uploading of gpx or other files to help you navigate a trail?

I imagine getting some topo maps of a trail and learning the basics of land nav would be a good thing too if we can get trails accurately overlaid on them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 10:59:53 PM EDT
[#3]
@Tactical_Bacon

@Notcalifornialegal

@Norsk_Snikskytter

What kind of GPS were you guys using?  I'm gonna need to get one pretty quick.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
@Tactical_Bacon

@Notcalifornialegal

@Norsk_Snikskytter

View Quote

I was just following the folks up front, but I'm looking at the

Foretrex 601

Garand Thumb has a great video on Navigational tools

Basics of Navigational Tools
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@KC215 Have you hiked Shawnee Mission park?  Is it a moderate trail anyone can do or is it on the rugged side?  Any other trail networks ranging from bike/jogging paths to moderate trails you'd recommend instead?

Edit - I just saw you mentioned the Olathe Prairie Trail in an earlier post.  It's a 2.7 mile loop so almost perfect for people wanting to qualify for 3 or 6 miles and it looks like a much more tame trail than the one we just did so a little more friendly to beginners.
View Quote

On SMP, it's been awhile.  It's been a long time since I've hiked/walked it.  I always did paved trails, as most of the stuff not paved is for mtn bikes, or even separate horse trails.  A big portion of it is part of the Mill Creek Streamway Trail.. It is probably entry level with some other portions a little more difficult.
In my search I found JCPRD trail guide.  
SMP map
One time earlier in my youth, I stuck it in the crazy and we did a run through Wyandotte Co Lake Trail, which would be similar to probably what you guys just did.
https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/kansas/wyandotte-county-lake-park
https://www.wycokck.org/WycoKCK/media/Public-Works/Documents/Wyandotte-County-Lake-Park-Map.pdf
I did not get out on Sunday, but that Olathe trail is beginner level.  There are several different loops.  I'll stop by there tomorrow to see about a map.  It's been awhile but I rode mtn bikes out in blue springs at Burr Woods that's part of MDC.  I'm sure there's plenty of hiking there.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:21:09 AM EDT
[#6]
How do we feel about the weekend of the 20th vs the 27th?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
How do we feel about the weekend of the 20th vs the 27th?
View Quote

The sooner the better!  

Let's get them on the calendar and start getting boots on the ground!
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:22:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The sooner the better!  

Let's get them on the calendar and start getting boots on the ground!
View Quote

Got it, lets plan on the 20th or 21st then.

There's also a few options near Strong city at the the Tallgrass Prairie Reserve such as this one.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/kansas/fox-creek-trail-loop
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#10]
@Ben

I had a couple questions from my AAR on the previous page that would benefit from your input.

1) What kind of hike is the 2 hour/6 mile time limit designed around?  Non-mountainous road march, mild family hiking trail, rugged technical trail or something other?  We probably don't want future hikes to be downhill, tailwind puds but we also probably don't want to make too many the hiking equivalent of Hell Week either.

2) How have other groups handled the mixed abilities in a group?  Especially at these next few get togethers we may have a mix of people going for the 3 and 6 mile distances and a mix of abilities.  Besides just turning a guy back a mile or two in and wishing him good luck (not exactly a safety or morale best practice) how do you handle someone who's not going to make the time cut without screwing the rest of the group?
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:21:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@Tactical_Bacon

@Notcalifornialegal

@Norsk_Snikskytter

View Quote

Garmin Fortrex 401. The 601 is superior and I’ll buy when when I break this one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey, sorry I missed answering this stuff before.

The hike pace is designed around relatively flat or rolling terrain on a well beaten trail or dirt road. There is not, however, an adjustment of the time permissible for terrain.  The idea is that when you have a given rating anyone can look at you and be reasonably certain you can be relied on to cover X distance at the standard hike condition pace in the conditions found in your area.

In as far as handling mixed abilities, in Virginia once we have someone rated then they can hang back with a new guy if needed, or we make the rated guy slower by making him carry fire fighting equipment, or a mortar or anti-tank weapon on top of his own gear. We also have simply tried to break into ability groups on the front end.
View Quote

Thanks!  That was more or less my thought pattern but wanted to make sure.

I think once we get these first few knocked out and get folks certified it will be easier.

Link Posted: 2/3/2021 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Garmin Fortrex 401. The 601 is superior and I’ll buy when when I break this one.
View Quote

Are you able to upload existing trails into it to stay on course or does it just tell you where you are on the globe and where you've been?
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#15]
@Notcalifornialegal

Gents, would one/more of you be willing to create, monitor, and share an APC Kansas Chapter email so that we can post that on the APC Directory website so other Kansans can link up with you easier? Thanks much!! Suggested format is: apc.[state abbreviation].[chapter name]@_[protomail or other host]___.com

You can post it here, or email it to the admin*americanpioneercorps.org email; we're still in the process of fixing up the Directory, so that webpage should be more complete soon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
@Notcalifornialegal

Gents, would one/more of you be willing to create, monitor, and share an APC Kansas Chapter email so that we can post that on the APC Directory website so other Kansans can link up with you easier? Thanks much!! Suggested format is: apc.[state abbreviation].[chapter name]@_[protomail or other host]___.com

You can post it here, or email it to the admin*americanpioneercorps.org email; we're still in the process of fixing up the Directory, so that webpage should be more complete soon.
View Quote

Sure I'll get one created this evening and get it over to you guys.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
On the apc.(state).(chapter name is typically the locality where the chapter is centered)@ proton mail . com
View Quote

Is it OK to have Notcalifornialegal serve as the state coordinator for Kansas?  He's taken the bull by the horns and is doing everything right.  

Maybe my question is better phrased as "Should he just set up an APC.KS email and serve as the clearinghouse for all KS inquiries/comms until we get county/regional chapters established?"  

I think as of now we've had 4 Kansas residents at the inaugural hike (3 out of staters) and about a dozen or so express interest from around the state.  My thought is that calling it the Dodge City chapter" may discourage folks in Lawrence 300 miles away from taking part.  

I may be overthinking this (that's my superpower).
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If ya'll are currently organizing state-wide, one KS email is fine; we're more than happy to add more emails to the website once it makes sense for you to align geographically
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

On SMP, it's been awhile.  It's been a long time since I've hiked/walked it.  I always did paved trails, as most of the stuff not paved is for mtn bikes, or even separate horse trails.  A big portion of it is part of the Mill Creek Streamway Trail.. It is probably entry level with some other portions a little more difficult.
SMP map
One time earlier in my youth, I stuck it in the crazy and we did a run through Wyandotte Co Lake Trail, which would be similar to probably what you guys just did.
https://www.wycokck.org/WycoKCK/media/Public-Works/Documents/Wyandotte-County-Lake-Park-Map.pdf
I did not get out on Sunday, but that Olathe trail is beginner level.  There are several different loops.  I'll stop by there tomorrow to see about a map.  It's been awhile but I rode mtn bikes out in blue springs at Burr Woods that's part of MDC.  I'm sure there's plenty of hiking there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SMP map

I take my kids (ages 4, 6,7, and 11) to shawnee mission park and hike the trails there frequently.  They are little more than unpaved sidewalks for the most part, and there is almost zero elevation change, and maybe a few spots where you're walking over rocks instead of beaten down dirt.

@Lomshek
@kc215
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I take my kids (ages 4, 6,7, and 11) to shawnee mission park and hike the trails there frequently.  They are little more than unpaved sidewalks for the most part, and there is almost zero elevation change, and maybe a few spots where you're walking over rocks instead of beaten down dirt.

@Lomshek
@kc215
View Quote

Thanks!  Sounds like that would be a good location for a KC metro hike.

I found this topo map of all the trails at Shawnee Mission Park.  Looks like we could make a good loop out of the red and purple trails.

If you have any other suggestions you think would work we'd be glad to hear them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If ya'll are currently organizing state-wide, one KS email is fine; we're more than happy to add more emails to the website once it makes sense for you to align geographically
View Quote

@jenzilla
@ben

Email added.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#23]
There's also Kill Creek Park which is not too far from Mill Creek Rifle Club in Desoto. It's a few miles straight South of Desoto.

I've only drove through the place. I've thought of taking my mountain bike over there but never have.

Kill Creek TOPO map
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:53:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@jenzilla
@ben

Email added.  
View Quote

Thanks much all, have fun hiking!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:16:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Need a book?  Let me know and I can have em at the next event.

@HighPlains1911
@KC215
@Austin1911
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I’d happily take one. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:08:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Rob & his son could use a couple too.

They’ll be at the March 13 event.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm not certain I'll make it to the March event, so I'll just order it myself.
Thanks
Had a great time, but may not be able to walk tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm not certain I'll make it to the March event, so I'll just order it myself.
Thanks
Had a great time, but may not be able to walk tomorrow.
View Quote

Definitely going to be moving slow here!

LOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Need a book?  Let me know and I can have em at the next event.

@HighPlains1911
@KC215
@Austin1911
View Quote
That would be awesome! I'm still not 100% sure I can make this one but I'm gonna try.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Before I plan # 4 I want to see about getting some feedback from everyone who's participated and would like to participate.

Where would you like to have the next hike?

What type of tie in would you like to see?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:02:12 AM EDT
[#32]
@kc215
@austin1911
@CPTCARL

The impending birth of my daughter precludes me from taking part in the next hike in April.

KC215, I believe you mentioned there being an area near you that you thought would work well.

Do you have a link to it?  

I'm thinking of scheduling it the weekend of the 17th and 18th.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@kc215
@austin1911
@CPTCARL

The impending birth of my daughter precludes me from taking part in the next hike in April.

KC215, I believe you mentioned there being an area near you that you thought would work well.

View Quote

17/18 April works for me.  Work + turkey season are cranking up in April and that is about the only weekend that is open for me (at the moment).  Looking forward to being able to participate!
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

17/18 April works for me.  Work + turkey season are cranking up in April and that is about the only weekend that is open for me (at the moment).  Looking forward to being able to participate!
View Quote

Also just realized we have an Appleseed that weekend.

If we have it the weekend before or after would that still work?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@kc215
@austin1911
@CPTCARL

View Quote

I'm teaching an Appleseed class the weekend of the 17-18 and my wife's birthday is the weekend before that so I'd only be available on the 24th or 25th.  Don't schedule it around me but just wanted to get that out there.

I will be at the May 15th medical class and hike in Mound Valley (2 hours east of Wichita if anyone's wondering).
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks!  Sounds like that would be a good location for a KC metro hike.

I found this topo map of all the trails at Shawnee Mission Park.  Looks like we could make a good loop out of the red and purple trails.

If you have any other suggestions you think would work we'd be glad to hear them.
View Quote

This would work or possible Kill Creek Park, bc5000 posted about up a few posts.  There are 3-4 places within 20-30 minutes of me here on the west side of KC.  I mean we can also get on the jo co streamway parks trail in several places.  Rifles might be an issue, as most of these wind around/through neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This would work or possible Kill Creek Park, bc5000 posted about up a few posts.  There are 3-4 places within 20-30 minutes of me here on the west side of KC.  I mean we can also get on the jo co streamway parks trail in several places.  Rifles might be an issue, as most of these wind around/through neighborhoods.
View Quote

Extra 10 pounds should do it then.  

Also the more remote the better.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 12:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not the boss of anyone but would strongly suggest no guns visible in metro KC to avoid becoming a news headline.  There are plenty of pro-gun cops and people in JoCo but a couple Karens calling 911 in hysterics about an armed attack on a family walking path will generate a significant response.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:37:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Also just realized we have an Appleseed that weekend.

If we have it the weekend before or after would that still work?
View Quote

I'm working the weekend prior and will be out of state the weekend following.

I'll make one of the hikes eventually!
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#40]
If @KC215 is available and doesn't mind serving as hike host (arrange the time & location and bring a scale) I'd suggest letting him set the date.

Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Ha
You give me too much credit.... I’ll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 5:46:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Don’t know much about it but Ernie Miller park has paved and unpaved trails.  Pretty short course and small park.  It is also a nature center so might have to work around other groups learning about nature.

Map

Something to research if you need a western joco area. Just south of K-10 on K-7
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 8:27:16 AM EDT
[#43]
I totally forgot about Ernie Miller.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 12:57:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Looking at potentially having a Sunday hike near Wichita next month.

Any good spots nearby?
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Looking at potentially having a Sunday hike near Wichita next month.

Any good spots nearby?
View Quote

Santa Fe Lake trail is one possibility.  It's on the east edge of Wichita and is a 4.4 mile loop.

I raced mountain bikes there in the early 90's.  Not much for elevation (duh) but a woods kind of hiking/biking trail.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top