Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
House bill 3594 2023? (Page 3 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:25:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I'm mistaken, Keel has been against every piece of pro-gun legislation that's come up, especially as regards CWP.  He's shown his ignorance and bias in multiple interviews.  The small minded fear mongering that leads one to proclaim that any relaxation of restrictions will lead to wild west shootouts, even though they've yet to happen in any state that has less restrictive laws, is just ridiculous.  He should have been fired several times over for some of his shenanigans but I guess he's got something on someone.  Don't know, never met the man, definitely wouldn't have a beer with him.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Passed. 28-18.

Take a small win, come back for more. Campsen shit all over us in his remarks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By atavistic:
Passed. 28-18.

View Quote

Has Campsen ever met a bill that allowed for less government restriction that he did like?  I just hope we don't see more stupid No CWP signs put up with all of the fear mongering that's been pushed.  Side note, thinking about it, I still have yet to see anyone open carrying.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By d16man:

I have open carried to/from the deer stand,  running into a store to grab something. No one cares, no one said anything.  I don't see anyone doing it either.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Passed. 28-18.

Has Campsen ever met a bill that allowed for less government restriction that he did like?  I just hope we don't see more stupid No CWP signs put up with all of the fear mongering that's been pushed.  Side note, thinking about it, I still have yet to see anyone open carrying.

I have open carried to/from the deer stand,  running into a store to grab something. No one cares, no one said anything.  I don't see anyone doing it either.

I've done basically the same; I usually carry a Model 19 on my hip while going to and from hunting including running into Love's on 26 and eating breakfast in Bill and Fran's after hunting (or not hunting because the morning weather sucked) but I wasn't the only one wearing camouflage or carrying a gun and my jacket kinda covered it.  I just meant as in everyday, going in the grocery store or something, I can't recall seeing anyone open carrying.  

Insert cat reading newspaper meme- I should get a BBQ 1911 and fancy holster.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]

I've done basically the same; I usually carry a Model 19 on my hip while going to and from hunting including running into Love's on 26 and eating breakfast in Bill and Fran's after hunting (or not hunting because the morning weather sucked) but I wasn't the only one wearing camouflage or carrying a gun and my jacket kinda covered it.  I just meant as in everyday, going in the grocery store or something, I can't recall seeing anyone open carrying.  

View All Quotes
Passed. 28-18.

I’ve seen several people open carrying. Most commonly at at Lowes, Home Depot, and Academy. It’s been very rare though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
So it passed?

When does this take affect?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Campsen sucks. Years ago he was railing against the constitutional carry bill and flashing his CWP badge on the senate floor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:
So it passed?

View Quote

Passed the house and senate. Still needs a signature from the governor. Per the bill it goes into effect when approved by the governor.

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/bills/3594.htm
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jlbs009:

Passed the house and senate. Still needs a signature from the governor. Per the bill it goes into effect when approved by the governor.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:
So it passed?

Awesome. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Candidly, this bill doesn't impact me much since I have a CWP and I rarely OC. But, it's a win for us, and advancing the cause makes other goals more attainable. And damnit, 2A doesn't say shit about about permits. But rights do hold hands with responsibilities, and I hope all of us in the 'community' encourage all gun owners to be proficient and safe, and not go around and act like jackasses with OC.

I'm hoping McMaster signs Friday, since Friday night is easier to celebrate on than Thursday.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

FIFY:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 11:29:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Candidly, this bill doesn't impact me much since I have a CWP and I rarely OC. But, it's a win for us, and advancing the cause makes other goals more attainable. And damnit, 2A doesn't say shit about about permits. But rights do hold hands with responsibilities, and I hope all of us in the 'community' encourage all gun owners to be proficient and safe, and not go around and act like jackasses with OC.

I'm hoping McMaster signs Friday, since Friday night is easier to celebrate on than Thursday.
View Quote

I haven't looked at it in awhile, but I believe this increases the number of states which will honor a SC CWP with reciprocity by a handful.

The next step is to de-fang carry signs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:27:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By RoccoOnFire:

I haven't looked at it in awhile, but I believe this increases the number of states which will honor a SC CWP with reciprocity by a handful.

View Quote

How will it increase the number of states that will honor the SC CWP? I’m unsure how it works, but know Colorado is one state that does not honor it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 2:29:19 AM EDT
[#15]

How will it increase the number of states that will honor the SC CWP? I'm unsure how it works, but know Colorado is one state that does not honor it.
View All Quotes

How will it increase the number of states that will honor the SC CWP? I'm unsure how it works, but know Colorado is one state that does not honor it.

Maybe I got ahead of myself. There may be conflicting forces here.

Some states have(had?) as a provision of law that they will honor state's CWPs that honor their own CWP, and they won't recognize states that won't reciprocate. Because of SC's licensure requirements, we'd only offer reciprocity with states that had a similar process, except for GA and NC which are named by law to allow permit recognition. So states that had lax or no process for acquiring a carry permit and had the reciprocal rule would not recognize our permit because we wouldn't recognize theirs.

This was the setup that GA had, which is why once we passed the law allowing them to carry here, their AG was able to update SC permit reciprocity in GA.

With constitutional carry, South Carolina now recognizes the ability, for the citizens from all the other states that previously we denied, to carry. I'm not sure how many states still have that setup. Further, by not relaxing the requirements for obtaining a carry permit, even though we now have constitutional carry, will allow us to maintain reciprocity with states that had more stringent standards for obtaining a permit. Together it should theoretically help maximize SC's permit recognition.

Here's the issue. That stupid additional penalty for non permit holders. For all intents and purposes, SC constitutional carry should have been functionally equivalent to recognizing all permits, but that penalty throws a wrench in it because 23-31-215 N(1) was not struck out, which contains the language requiring

Valid out-of-state permits to carry concealable weapons held by a resident of a reciprocal state must be honored by this State, provided, that the reciprocal state requires an applicant to successfully pass a criminal background check and a course in firearm training and safety. A resident of a reciprocal state carrying a concealable weapon in South Carolina is subject to and must abide by the laws of South Carolina regarding concealable weapons. SLED shall maintain and publish a list of those states as the states with which South Carolina has reciprocity.

Not sure what to make of that. But strictly speaking it probably bones us.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#16]

View Quote

I have, in the Greenville area and Honea Path.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
What is a BBQ 1911?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Mint:
What is a BBQ 1911?
View Quote

You've been here since 2010 and haven't seen the term used?    No idea where the term started, as I understand it, just a fancy "dress" gun for wearing to functions, i.e. functional jewelry for men.    I don't own anything particularity nice, nothing engraved, etc.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:11:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator] [#20]
Why does the (SC) media and by extension various firearm news sites keep parroting this bill as "allowing adults to openly carry" vs. "constitutional carry"?

ETA: In terms of the media it's to create panic. The firearms news sites are simply copying the text of the media's scaremongering.

You don't hear much if anything about concealed carry in regard to this bill.

Am I missing something? TBH I haven't paid much attention to this as I am used to CC being shot down every time it's introduced.

What exactly does average good citizen who does not possess a CWP get out of this bill? (besides getting "extra" punishment for violations)

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I went to the Governor's official website looking for info as to when the signing ceremony will take place but found nothing.

Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Why does the (SC) media and by extension various firearm news sites keep parroting this bill as "allowing adults to openly carry" vs. "constitutional carry"?

ETA: In terms of the media it's to create panic. The firearms news sites are simply copying the text of the media's scaremongering.

You don't hear much if anything about concealed carry in regard to this bill.

Am I missing something? TBH I haven't paid much attention to this as I am used to CC being shot down every time it's introduced.

What exactly does average good citizen who does not possess a CWP get out of this bill? (besides getting "extra" punishment for violations)

View Quote

I’m confused why some news sites are specifically saying open carry only
I know some changes were made, can someone confirm this is concealed too?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:23:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By _Matt_:

I’m confused why some news sites are specifically saying open carry only
I know some changes were made, can someone confirm this is concealed too?
View Quote

Open or concealed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#24]
What is a BBQ 1911?
View Quote

A BBQ 1911 is one step lower than a safe queen.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I see some news outlets reporting it is open carry only, others saying it covers concealed as well.

I tried to read the bill, it it gave me a headache with all the legalese.

All are reporting that it went into effect immediately with his signature.

I’ll keep my CWP to have access to carry in other states.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is a decent early summary from a pretty good channel.

South Carolina Passes Constitutional Carry (Sort of...)
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:28:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#27]
It covers open and concealed carry.

It means that CWP holders have no duty to inform.

LE cannot detain a person without reasonable suspicion of a crime. Being armed is not sufficient reason for a person to be stopped.

A gun can be anywhere in a vehicle, but it must still be locked up when on school grounds.

CWPs still offer reciprocity and allow faster gun purchases.

SLED is required to offer two free CWP classes per county, per month, free of charge.

SLED has to do a public service announcement program to inform people of how to get a CWP.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By rock71:
It covers open and concealed carry.

It means that CWP holders have no duty to inform.

LE cannot detain a person without reasonable suspicion of a crime. Being armed is not sufficient reason for a person to be stopped.

A gun can be anywhere in a vehicle, but it must still be locked up when on school grounds.

CWPs still offer reciprocity and allow faster gun purchases.

SLED is required to offer two free CWP classes per county, per month, free of charge.

SLED has to do a public service announcement program to inform people of how to get a CWP.
View Quote

Thanks for the overview!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:

Thanks for the overview!
View Quote

There may be more, but that’s the jist of it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Great summary. I believe that this gives 18-20 year olds who legally have a pistol an option to carry it legally now (since they can't get CWP until 21) right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jlbs009] [#31]
Originally Posted By danelen:
Great summary. I believe that this gives 18-20 year olds who legally have a pistol an option to carry it legally now (since they can't get CWP until 21) right?
View Quote

They can get a CWP at 18 now, or constitutional carry.

Edit: section 23 (a). https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/bills/3594.htm
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#32]

They can get a CWP at 18 now, or constitutional carry.

Edit: section 23 (a). https://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess125_2023-2024/bills/3594.htm
View Quote

Nice!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Breaking: South Carolina Passes Constitutional Carry ???? - Sort Of ??
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#34]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXMIipOelhw
View Quote

The more I learn the less I like this. As a CWP holder nothing is any better but some things are worse. E.g. Criminal penalty if you lose your card and don't report it in 48 hrs. WTF and why?  What hypothetical problem does this even solve?  Other new criminal penalties as well.

I am a believer of not letting the perfect become the enemy of the good but I am not sure this isn't worse on balance than what we had before.

Ugh.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Sorry if I'm behind the times, but doesn't state law require one to be 21 to purchase a handgun and buy ammunition for it? Maybe federal?
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:58:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
Sorry if I'm behind the times, but doesn't state law require one to be 21 to purchase a handgun and buy ammunition for it? Maybe federal?
View Quote

It is federal. Maybe state too but not sure about that. You can own a pistol at 18 but can't buy one.  For all the crying about private transfers without NICS checks this has never made sense to me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
View Quote

That's what i thought as well
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By rock71:
View Quote

Is a locked vehicle sufficient or must the firearm be in a locked container in the locked vehicle?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 7:44:08 AM EDT
[#39]

You've been here since 2010 and haven't seen the term used?    No idea where the term started, as I understand it, just a fancy "dress" gun for wearing to functions, i.e. functional jewelry for men.    I don't own anything particularity nice, nothing engraved, etc.
View Quote

Nope, never saw it used before that meme.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:14:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#40]
Originally Posted By fokkfess:

Is a locked vehicle sufficient or must the firearm be in a locked container in the locked vehicle?
View Quote

My understanding is that it has to be in a locked case or locked compartment (glove box, trunk) etc to be compliant on school property.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:19:09 AM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

I'm just messing with you.  If you don't wade into the cesspool that is GD you can still find it used in the Handgun forums.  Some folks here have some really, really nice looking guns- engraved 1911s and S&Ws with ivory grips, etc.  Some are over the top, some are very tasteful.  The "fanciest" gun I own is a boring (almost boringly accurate too), but excellent condition Browning Hi-Power.  I'd like to have a 1911 with some engraving just because, but most of my stuff is older (police trade in S&W revolvers) or just boring (oh boy, another Glock or Shield that looks like every other striker fired gun out there , most are a bit beat up at this point too.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#43]
I was reading through the law and the list of excluded areas. Every article I've read so far stops at school/daycare.  I've not seen one that mentioned church, doctor's office or someone else's house.
Section 16-23-20.  (A) It is unlawful, whether or not the person has a concealed weapon permit, for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, unless otherwise specifically authorized by law into a:
(1) law enforcement, correctional, or detention facility;
      (2) courthouse or courtroom;
      (3) polling place on election day;
      (4) business meeting or office of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special purpose district;
      (5) school or college athletic event not related to firearms;
      (6) daycare facility or preschool facility;
      (7) place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law;
      (8) church or other established religious sanctuary;
      (9) medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed, unless expressly authorized by the employer;
      (10) residence or dwelling place of another person; or
      (11) place clearly marked with a sign prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon on the premises in compliance with Section 23-31-235. A person who violates a provision of this item, whether the violation is wilful or not, only may be charged with a violation of Section 16-11-620 and must not be charged with or penalized for a violation of this subsection.

Churches, doctors offices, someone else's house.  The church and doc's office was already in the CWP version of the bill, but the other person's dwelling is new to this bill but was in another one that is repealed by this new version.  Those are going to be the downfall of many good people.  They will claim ignorance and all I'm sure.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

I think private business should be able to do what they want or are you talking about public property?

Let private business suffer with their choices to exclude a certain type of customer! Vote with your wallet!
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:17:42 AM EDT
[#45]
SC has always required permission to go into another persons home with a gun. I don’t have any problem with that, since it’s literally the other person’s “castle.”

I also think that businesses should be able to make that decision. If nothing else, maybe it’ll help apathetic gun owners to take some form of action by shopping elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#46]
I have the same view about the signs and businesses setting their rules.  It is their business after all and the public/government shouldn't dictate how they run their business.  I mean, I'll vote with my wallet, but that isn't the same as me forcing them to allow me to carry in their establishment.

I actually get a kick out of those businesses that post a sign that isn't in compliance.  We can carry there because the sign isn't in compliance with the bill.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By turtle2472:
I have the same view about the signs and businesses setting their rules.  It is their business after all and the public/government shouldn't dictate how they run their business.  I mean, I'll vote with my wallet, but that isn't the same as me forcing them to allow me to carry in their establishment.

I actually get a kick out of those businesses that post a sign that isn't in compliance.  We can carry there because the sign isn't in compliance with the bill.
View Quote

I'm sure some of those, maybe the majority, are out of ignorance, but I suspect some of them are done to quiet the Karens since they don't know there are specific regulations about the signage.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#48]

I'm sure some of those, maybe the majority, are out of ignorance, but I suspect some of them are done to quiet the Karens since they don't know there are specific regulations about the signage.
View Quote

I would agree with you on this one.  One place the comes to mind in the upstate is likely out of ignorance.  Funny enough, it is a "major" establishment that I would expect to comply with the law.  Regularly though, they have security with metal detectors when entering.  So as long as they don't have that the times you visit, you can carry away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:54:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RoccoOnFire] [#49]
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJihad:

I think private business should be able to do what they want or are you talking about public property?

Let private business suffer with their choices to exclude a certain type of customer! Vote with your wallet!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJihad:

I agree in principle. I just don't think it should be backed by the government.

I think a business should maintain the right to ask someone to leave for any reason, or have that person be trespassed if they refuse.

If you get made carrying a gun and are asked to leave I believe that the owner has a right to ask you to leave. If they want to go so far as to put up metal detectors or some other invasive measure to weed out people bringing in weapons, sure go ahead. They're just going to suffer from the business repercussions of being invasive as to what is under someone's clothing.

I don't believe it should automatically be a crime to walk into a business open to the public because the owner doesn't want an object in their store that isn't visible and has no effect on anyone. If they want to take measure to enforce their policy, let them do it on their own, and use trespass mechanisms or others means to enforce their policies. We shouldn't be supporting their policies by handing out three year prison terms because someone found out you walked into a posted, but not otherwise prohibited by law, building.

Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
House bill 3594 2023? (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top