User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 10:21:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
His stay at home order doesn't really change anything.  I think he did it to get the media and political hacks off his back.
View Quote

I came here looking for more details on the latest stay at home order that goes into effect Tuesday at 5pm. This has to be the worst executive order I have ever read. It completely lacks detail, and you can apparently be fined?  WTF?  Imagine getting fined because of kindergarten level writing of an executive order.

I’m new to South Carolina. The governor comes off like an idiot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

If you need to go to work then go to work. If you need to go get groceries, a prescription, a pressing home repair item, a firearm or ammo then go get it...and maintain social distancing...and then get your ass home and stay there. Rinse and repeat.

The people who are going to get fined or possibly jailed are people gallivanting around and hanging out where they're not supposed to be and not social distancing.

On at least three occasions at pressers the governor has reiterated that firearms/ammo are an essential business and he will respect the right to purchase such as a constitutional right (and a hedge against social unrest). That doesn't sound like an "idiot" to me. Save that label for the governors of CA, NM, NY, etc.

Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok. I’m “going to go visit family”. I’m “going to the grocery store” 100 miles away lol
So wide open and non-specific that you can pretty much do what you want
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ok. I’m “going to go visit family”. I’m “going to the grocery store” 100 miles away lol
So wide open and non-specific that you can pretty much do what you want
View Quote

That's no different than most any state. These are mostly decrees that are to be used as deterrents, especially to businesses. Note the new max occupancy rule. Nobody is going to prohibit you from buying food or taking a walk, either here or Manhattan. I'm not sure what you are expecting them to do.

I agree the order could be written better but I prefer gradual escalation of restrictions based on real time assessment than just being lazy and locking as much down as they can in a knee jerk reaction that can cause other issues.

But frankly no matter what was done, or not done, people will still complain it wasn't right.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds pretty straightforward to me.

If you need to go to work then go to work. If you need to go get groceries, a prescription, a pressing home repair item, a firearm or ammo then go get it...and maintain social distancing...and then get your ass home and stay there. Rinse and repeat.

The people who are going to get fined or possibly jailed are people gallivanting around and hanging out where they're not supposed to be and not social distancing.

On at least three occasions at pressers the governor has reiterated that firearms/ammo are an essential business and he will respect the right to purchase such as a constitutional right (and a hedge against social unrest). That doesn't sound like an "idiot" to me. Save that label for the governors of CA, NM, NY, etc.

View Quote

I read an article that said McMaster doesn't believe any governor has the Constitutional authority to force people to stay in their homes.  It made me like him more.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#6]
SO, here's a not so Hypothetical.
I get stir-crazy bored with being inside. I decide that I am going to take a vehicle with a full tank of gas and get out and just drive around the countryside. I will also be watching my gas gauge so that I have enough gas to get back home with. I won't be getting out at any business. No face to face meet.

I am I breaking the executive order?
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Self-control and irrational behavior are not even close to the same thing! Opposite ends of the spectrum.

Our instant gratification based society is not capable of the first of those two concepts.

The statement that WW3 will be fought with clubs may not happen soon enough. I worry that our downfall will be this
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I get stir-crazy bored with being inside. I decide that I am going to take a vehicle with a full tank of gas and get out and just drive around the countryside. I will also be watching my gas gauge so that I have enough gas to get back home with. I won't be getting out at any business. No face to face meet.

View Quote

Cops arent getting close enough to ask what youre doing. Unless youre being a real ass youll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Without reading every letter in the order, and not being a lawyer, I would say you are fine. In accordance with the provisions therein, you have practiced the guidelines by distancing your lone persons from others, and you were engaging in an Essential Activitiy in that you were administering mental health care(to yourself). See page 8, section E, Item 3.

https://governor.sc.gov/sites/default/files/Documents/Executive-Orders/2020-04-06%20eFILED%20Executive%20Order%20No.%202020-21%20-%20Stay%20at%20Home%20or%20Work%20Order.pdf

In reality I don't see you getting stopped, and if you did, not getting cited. Obviously if there is a curfew or something that is different.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been told Im still ok to go to the lake and fish so were all good.  Got my "essential credentials" in the work truck as well.  It seems pretty vague.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If they virus is spreading so fast why are hospitals cutting staff and their hours. Hmmm
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Because the elective surgeries are what pays the bills. Not enough revenue when they’re all being postponed/delayed.

That is when the real trouble begins, because that staff could be re-routed to assist the ERs if/when this mess strikes here like it is up north. But by that time they’re no longer qualified by association or willing to work in the ERs. And most wouldn’t volunteer to do so without some stake in the game like employment in that hospital system.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I got that on my phone as soon as I unloaded all my guns and gear at the farm when I went shooting.  I was like, Oh shit!  How does Henry know I’m out here?!?

Quoted:
If they virus is spreading so fast why are hospitals cutting staff and their hours. Hmmm

Wife is a CRNA.  All electives have been delayed.  They went from 35 down to 10 OR’s.  All OR’s at Baptist have been shut down, CRNA’s have been furloughed at Baptist. They moved all services to Richland. And there they furloughed all travelers, PRN and temp CRNA’s.  

They have something like 50 COVID patients at Richland.  But all resources are being saved if this gets worse.  They are talking about moving some of the CRNA’s to ICU to work the ventilators and newer hires furloughed. Good to see them making plans and letting employees know instead of getting hit with the news so you cannot plan.

I will add, end of the year is always nuts with folks wanting to get services done having to start the recount on paying deductibles again.  If things open back up in the fall, I probably won’t see her again until January with everyone playing catch up.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#15]
City of Cayce to enact curfew starting 4/8/20 11pm-5am
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Update
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 8:57:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Bride has appointments at Spartanburg Regional today with both Oncologist and Radiologist (8 wk post op and 1st of 3 follow up radiation treatments)  I'm curious how all this will look today vs the last time we were there 4 wks ago.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#18]
My sammich maker fell and broke her wrist two days ago. I was at Colonial Family and their outside testing is packed. The patient pulls up, gets looked at and tested. Tons of folks too.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#20]
They are testing nonstop here in Sumter. Therefore will be a huge spike here.  It isn’t that Sumter is anymore infected it is Doc Lowder freely rotor rootering noses. If you test a bunch you will find a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:32:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Man, I hope we are getting near peak.

Oops...edited your post instead of replying.  Stupid mod.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#23]
updated title only
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Doctor Lowder who owns and runs Colonial Family Practice in multiple areas was on WIS10 news.  He stated he is testing non-stop and prescribing Z-Packs/Hydro.  He said it was his call as a doctor and there was anecdotal evidence of it helping.  He is testing a treating more than anyone in the area, that is why the Sumter numbers are up.  

He is my personal doc and if I pop positive for the China Flu I won't hesitate to go see him.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#25]
3K now
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Still floating around 10% of those tested.
View Quote

I am glad someone else understands that is the best data point.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That and percentage of empty hospital beds are the two most important.  Given that we cannot known when it came here,  it is important to note how fast it is spreading.  Floating around 10% positive means no sudden spike as predicted.
View Quote

Yes.  The nurses who helped my wife are actually on 4-6hr shifts because they don't have the patients because the non-emergent surgeries have all been turned off.  The floors are empty and a friend here in Sumter who is a PT at Tuomey has the lightest workload in years.

This is good.  Now, stop licking the door handles and touching shit at Walmart and Lowes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes.  The nurses who helped my wife are actually on 4-6hr shifts because they don't have the patients because the non-emergent surgeries have all been turned off.  The floors are empty and a friend here in Sumter who is a PT at Tuomey has the lightest workload in years.

This is good.  Now, stop licking the door handles and touching shit at Walmart and Lowes.
View Quote

My wife got furloughed, after her floor was cleared as a designated as a covid floor.  They just don't have enough patients for the beds.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 11:13:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Late update, but she went in, alone for her visits (wouldn't let me in). Temp check and Mask at the door. All staff seen wore masks.  Radiology nurses were put off by the hype, oncologists seemed the same.  Not much happening in the 'Burg.

Great reports from all the docs, on a 3mo rotation, with a PET scan in July. Dr said it looked like she never had surgery! (or a cantaloupe sized tumor ??)
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 1:51:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Updated
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Late update, but she went in, alone for her visits (wouldn't let me in). Temp check and Mask at the door. All staff seen wore masks.  Radiology nurses were put off by the hype, oncologists seemed the same.  Not much happening in the 'Burg.

Great reports from all the docs, on a 3mo rotation, with a PET scan in July. Dr said it looked like she never had surgery! (or a cantaloupe sized tumor ??)
View Quote

Same protocols here in Sumter but the docs aren't put off by it. We have the Rona in town and sick folks in the hospital but not to the extent that was expected thank goodness.
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

My wife got furloughed, after her floor was cleared as a designated as a covid floor.  They just don't have enough patients for the beds.
View Quote

I got furloughed on Friday until June 8th. Our ER has been seeing ~25-30% of our usual number for the last month.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 12:09:49 PM EDT
[#35]
@s13gmund not sure what happened to my link in the OP but it's not working.

Try updating it to this to see if it comes back to life.

https://go.surveysc.com/CV19dash
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#36]
My wife has been on my ass to go to Lowes to fix a leaking faucet and buy lattice board to go under our deck.  I’m resisting going out just to stay safe while she goes to work in the hospital.
Yesterday she sent me a text telling me they had 5 deaths from COVID in the hospital the night before.  

I told her their wives probably sent them to the hardware store for shit they really didn’t need.  She’s really starting to get pissy with me because I’ve been home 6 weeks tomorrow and haven’t done everything on her list yet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 7:47:54 AM EDT
[#37]
And how is that reply working out for you?????????????
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
And how is that reply working out for you?????????????
View Quote

I got one of these.  ??

But I took the hint and did a few things that were on her list that didn’t require a trip to Lowes or HD.  Never mind about all the yard work I’ve gotten done in this time.  For the pat two years she has been on a travel kick and that left no time for the serious yard stuff.   I’ve been pacing myself because I didn’t want too big of a pile out on the street/yard for the county to pick up.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:37:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
My wife has been on my ass to go to Lowes to fix a leaking faucet and buy lattice board to go under our deck.  I’m resisting going out just to stay safe while she goes to work in the hospital.
Yesterday she sent me a text telling me they had 5 deaths from COVID in the hospital the night before.  

I told her their wives probably sent them to the hardware store for shit they really didn’t need.  She’s really starting to get pissy with me because I’ve been home 6 weeks tomorrow and haven’t done everything on her list yet.
View Quote

I got to replace the entire kitchen floor, including molding, last week.

My young son recently had a bad dream.  We were sitting at the dinner table and he asked how do you get rid of dreams.  I answered "get married".  She didn't think it was nearly as funny as I did.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#40]
The boat ramps are supposed to reopen at noon today.  I haven't been able to take the kayaks out fishing since last year, so I was happy to see that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:47:22 PM EDT
[#41]
That’s what we heard also. Going canoe fishing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#42]
4086 total cases as of today with 116 deaths. Yesterday was quite a jump from the day before, today less so. Richland County still leading the pack with 612 cases and 14 deaths.

Lets hope we are at the Apex of this crap.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 8:46:48 AM EDT
[#43]
I hope North MB opens up by May.  FL announced open beaches and the wife is already packing the car.  She has the first week of May off, was supposed to fly out to Seattle with our daughter for her 21st birthday.  I’d rather dump our money back into our states economy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#44]
RCSD deputy gots da WuFlu

Also,
4086 cases
116 deaths.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#45]
How does Charleston County's case numbers keep climbing and the have only reported 3 deaths for weeks. Does MUSC know something the other facilities don't?
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
All I can say is that the doctors and nurses at MUSC are excellent and saved my life.  Last September I had complications after my cancer surgery and nearly lost my life.  I was in the ICU for 5 days and spent a total of 12 days hospitalized at MUSC.  I couldn't have gotten better treatment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#47]
COVID-19 Rolling Heat Map - April 21, 2020

Interesting heat map over time.

ETA: MUSC must be doing solid work as well as LexMed. McLeod appears to be struggling with this. Horry county has way more morts than any other county with that many positive cases. Florence doesn't exactly look too stellar either.

ETA2: DHEC is killing me moving the source data around I've updated my dashboard again for the 4th or 5th time to keep it updated. So inconsistent... and we wonder why we can't handle testing at all!

ETA3: 04/22 DHEC is apparently having server issues today. My dash is updating at a snails pace which matches the pace that their data loads on their site.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:37:18 AM EDT
[#48]
130 new cases; death toll in SC is now 200
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top