Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 11:27:54 AM EDT
New Columbia resident, got moved and settled in. looking for Range info and or range acess. Interested in Rifle mostly some rimfire, pistol.

Previous location was member of club that had covered benches, 25, 50, 100, 200 yard target stands.

Im here for contact / follow up.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
There are a couple of indoor ranges in town, PSA and Shooter's Choice. Personally, PSA is BY FAR the better range. It's only 25yds but you can shoot handguns and rifles (up to 30-06). Plus, they have rentals (handguns, rifles and full-auto) at their range.

As far as outdoor ranges, Palmetto Outdoor Shooting facility in Pelion (owned by PSA) has outdoor pistol and rifle ranges. I believe the rifle range there is 300yds. They also have various shotgun shooting opportunities (5 stand, sporting clays,...).
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on what side of Cola you are on, there is an outdoor range right off I-20, Exit 92(Lugoff).

I have not ever been there and know nothing about it, but I am sure there are some here that have.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the PSA over Shooter's Choice, not even a contest there.

Quoted:
Depending on what side of Cola you are on, there is an outdoor range right off I-20, Exit 92(Lugoff).
View Quote
That would be Sandhills Shooting range.

http://sandhillshootingsports.com/
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I think there is an outdoor range in Swansea too. It's called Sandlapper Gun Club, or something like that. I've never been but I heard they have several different handgun ranges and a 600yd rifle range.

The PSA outdoor range (Palmetto Outdoors Shooting Facility's address actually says it's in Swansea, not Pelion.

https://www.facebook.com/PSAOutdoor

Here's a link for Sandlapper

http://sandlappergunclub.com/
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Member club Mid Carolina Rifle and Pistol is near columbia. Good range.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is an option. I am a member. Real nice facility with multiple pistol and rifle ranges. Monthly membership meetings. But, it is heavily loaded with lots more rules than you might expect, that are rigidly enforced. They have a full time range officer who is constantly on watch for rules violations. And occasionally the range or parts thereof are closed for officially sanctioned special matches.

http://midcarolinarifleclub.com/
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Rules keep us safe and the club open. Ask those clubs who have put a few over the berm or closed (luckily only temporarily) for a shooting death. Ranges were in Ga and SC.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Not opposed to standard NRA approved range safety rules or site specific range safety rules. Its the out of the blue ones that get me. I made a tag for my brother to wear at the range when he was with me signifying that he was my guest with my mem #. Thought I was doing a good thing. Got told that was not allowed by CRO. I won't go into others or start a debate here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:24:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Clubs normally require guests to remain with the member (same bay or adjacent bench on shooting line). That is a safety rule as guests are not versed in the range rules.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Clubs normally require guests to remain with the member (same bay or adjacent bench on shooting line). That is a safety rule as guests are not versed in the range rules.
View Quote
I know that.

My brother was staying right on the same range as me. What does that have to do with me making him a guest badge? 4 years ago it wasn't a problem, now its a problem.

Also, got told that I could not put my unloaded cased guns from the car on the shooting bench while the range was cold.  

Safety is a good thing, but it can be taken to an unreasonable extreme.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, that is nuts, we don't have guests wear a special or any badge (if they aren't wearing a member badge, by definition they are a guest).

If guns are cased at our club they can be moved when the line is cold.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a member at MCRC as well.

I agree with the notion that obiding by the rules helps keep our range safe and open, but...

...the RO/Club President is a Napoleon complex having little douche canoe.

Did I say I really like the range though?
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Member club Mid Carolina Rifle and Pistol is near columbia. Good range.
View Quote
Dont you need a sponsor? I used to belong to them a long time ago and wouldnt mind joining back up
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dont you need a sponsor? I used to belong to them a long time ago and wouldnt mind joining back up
View Quote
No, Unless things have changed again, just show up at their monthly meeting at  Murray's Pub in Edenwood Plaza, Cayce, (usually 2nd Monday of the month at 6:30.)  Fill out form to request to be a member. At end of meeting the membership present votes to accept the list of new member requests, and usually accepts everyone, unless they see a problem or membership again approaches 1000 members. You must have proof of being a member of a gun rights organization, NRA 2nd Amendment foundation, JPFO, etc, and you must attend a monthly range briefing before you can become an active member. Fee is currently $175.00 plus $25.00 initiation fee, (subject to change).

Now be aware that some of the ranges will be in use on Saturday and/or Sunday for specific shooting groups and disciplines. IE: Cowboy action shooting, IDPA Pistol. Long range marksmanship, .22 steel challenge, etc. and for special events like the Appleseed shooting program, IDPA regional events, and gun writers weekend. So, if you are a weekend only shooter, check the monthly bulletin and factor these closings/restrictions into your plans.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:29:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

No, Unless things have changed again, just show up at their monthly meeting at  Murray's Pub in Edenwood Plaza, Cayce, (usually 2nd Monday of the month at 6:30.)  Fill out form to request to be a member. At end of meeting the membership present votes to accept the list of new member requests, and usually accepts everyone, unless they see a problem or membership again approaches 1000 members. You must have proof of being a member of a gun rights organization, NRA 2nd Amendment foundation, JPFO, etc, and you must attend a monthly range briefing before you can become an active member. Fee is currently $175.00 plus $25.00 initiation fee, (subject to change).

Now be aware that some of the ranges will be in use on Saturday and/or Sunday for specific shooting groups and disciplines. IE: Cowboy action shooting, IDPA Pistol. Long range marksmanship, .22 steel challenge, etc. and for special events like the Appleseed shooting program, IDPA regional events, and gun writers weekend. So, if you are a weekend only shooter, check the monthly bulletin and factor these closings/restrictions into your plans.
View Quote
I ran into Linda Chico at the March fairgrounds gun show (MCRC had a table) and she told me that as far as being a member of a national org. they're wanting to lean toward making it 100% NRA. I believe she said they get better insurance rates from the NRA if they decided to do that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Seems 100% NRA would be hard to enforce if members just buy annual NRA membership. Send in a copy of NRA card and club membership would be renewable on that date??
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Greybeard, I shoot USPSA at MCRC. It's a lot nicer than our old range, I haven't shot on the range outside an organized match to comment on the range nazis.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:44:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Here is an option. I am a member. Real nice facility with multiple pistol and rifle ranges. Monthly membership meetings. But, it is heavily loaded with lots more rules than you might expect, that are rigidly enforced. They have a full time range officer who is constantly on watch for rules violations. And occasionally the range or parts thereof are closed for officially sanctioned special matches.

http://midcarolinarifleclub.com/
View Quote
Only problem with Mid Carolina (and the reason I quit) is a couple of members.... Ed Kelleher pissed me off like nobody's business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top