Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2017 9:58:40 AM EDT
We're planning on coming down from Rock Hill and going to the Lake Murray area to view the solar eclipse and I was wondering if anyone
knows a place around there where we might be able to, A. park a car close to us, B. set up a canopy, as well as set up a telescope, camera, etc.
C. Have access to a bathroom without having to leave the area and finally D. legally be able to carry concealed?
I know this might be asking a lot, but my better half is a cancer survivor with a bad back and walking distances is a major challenge.
Places like Dreher Island State Park are having events, but with millions descending on SC to view the eclipse, my guess is we don't be
able to get anywhere near it.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Lake Murray Dam public park maybe?

2101 N Lake Dr, Columbia, SC 29212
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
We did some recon today and as we were about to pull into the north side of the Lake Murray Dam (public park) I spied the no weapons symbol on the guard shack so we turned around.
If we can swing it, we might try Dreher Island State Park first.  It's beautiful, has restrooms and being a state park, CWP is allowed.
I just think they might get swamped, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
D16, How close to the center track of the eclipse are you going to be?

I am located far enough out to be only on the outskirts.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
D16, How close to the center track of the eclipse are you going to be?
View Quote
Lake Murray is about dead on the center line of the eclipse path.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#7]
It turns out that the center of the path of totality is about 90 feet from the dock at my place on lake Marion, so I'll be hanging there for a few days.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
D16, That is mighty generous of you, very tempting and I'll seriously consider it!
It would be just my Wife and I and her Grand Daughter in one car, armed with a cooler containing sammiches, bottled water and soft drinks.
We wouldn't leave a trace and it would be like we'd never been there.

I see you're a picker!  My Dad was a professional.  I play a little though I'm way out of practice these days.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a big soccer complex in Lexington you could look into: http://www.columbiacvb.com/listings/Lexington-Soccer-Complex/16341/

On the north side of the dam there Saluda Shoals park: http://www.icrc.net/saluda-shoals-park

Not sure of the policies of either though.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Sup Lexington buddy, I'm off Old Chapin rd.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top