Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2017 7:26:09 PM EDT
Well maybe... I'm coming down to visit my son south of Myrtle Beach for a week.  As always, I'll be bringing a stick or two along and a CCW.  Is there anything specific I need to watch out for in SC as far as unusual laws?
What are the rules for eating establishments when carrying concealed?  I rarely have more than one beer, but some states are picky about even carrying in a restaurant that sells alcohol.  
Any other tips you can give me would be appreciated.

As a side note, the son is trying to by his first AR and can't get anybody to sell him one.  He has made three offers and been stood up all three times.  What's up with that?

Thanks in advance....
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well maybe... I'm coming down to visit my son south of Myrtle Beach for a week.  As always, I'll be bringing a stick or two along and a CCW.  Is there anything specific I need to watch out for in SC as far as unusual laws?
What are the rules for eating establishments when carrying concealed?  I rarely have more than one beer, but some states are picky about even carrying in a restaurant that sells alcohol.  
Any other tips you can give me would be appreciated.

As a side note, the son is trying to by his first AR and can't get anybody to sell him one.  He has made three offers and been stood up all three times.  What's up with that?

Thanks in advance....
View Quote
You can carry in any establishment that serves alcohol as long as it is not legally posted with a no concealed weapons sign. You may not consume alcohol while carrying in a business that serves it.
If you want a beer with dinner while eating out, leave your carry in the glove box. Reholster it when you get back out into your vehicle. There is no law preventing you from doing so.
It is illegal to use a firearm while under the influence in South Carolina, to use means to discharge, except for defense of person or property. You are presumed NOT under the influence of alcohol as it pertains to firearms as long as your BAC is .05 or less, and could not ever be used as evidence against you. .05-.08 it is NOT presumed if you are or are not impaired, BUT may be brought up as evidence if you used a firearm.
You may consume alcohol while carrying if it is not on the premises of a business. But keep in mind the above BAC rules if you were involved in a shooting.

Prohibited weapons signs hold the weight of law as long as they are posted with these very specific conditions.
(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:
(1) clearly visible from outside the building;
(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;
(3) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black one-inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal;
(5) a diameter of a circle; and
(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building's entrance door.
(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:
(1) thirty-six inches wide by forty-eight inches tall in size;
(2) contain the words "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" in black three- inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;
(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty-four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty-five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;
(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety-six inches above the ground;
(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

You may not enter someone's home without their express consent to allow your carry on the premises, while you are carrying.

We have a duty to inform an officer that we are carrying, if they ask you for any kind of identification.

My guess is that the market is bottoming and people feel their rifles are worth more than they actually are. Take him to a Palmetto State Armory, they have locations all over the state.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Rocco,
Good info, but you are slacking.

Dude is from MO, so the standard answer is supposed to be...

Show me!!

Enjoy your stay.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 12:58:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rocco,
Good info, but you are slacking.

Dude is from MO, so the standard answer is supposed to be...

Show me!!

Enjoy your stay.
View Quote
I'm not witty. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Sign?  I don't see a stinking sign! -  Guess I'll try to pay attention.  Although... Concealed means concealed.  In MO they can ask you to leave.  If you don't then it becomes an issue.  I always tell an officer when asked for a license anyways...  I call it professional courtesy and the "I don't want to get shot by accident rule."  Even though we don't have to tell in MO.  Except Comminois (Illinios) I'm not telling them ANYTHING.    So what is the penalty if it holds the force of law?  (Not that I want to actually find out as I tend to take my business elsewhere.)

As far as the beer... I will make sure I leave the piece in the car.

We will be in Surfside.  The kid lives on the beach.  

I'll take him to Palmetto this week and see what they have.  

Thanks for the help Rocco!  Great information!
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:39:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Basically if it isn't this sign, slightly larger than a standard sheet of paper in a vertical position and at every entrance on a place with doors, it does not hold the force of law. There can be more words, but has to have at least those ones.

If you went into a prohibited place such as a church, school, hospital, courthouse, or law enforcement building, you would be charged with a misdemeanor and upon conviction, must be fined not less than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
If you just ignored a no weapons posted sign on any other type of establishment it would only be a trespassing violation and on conviction, be fined not more than two hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days. I try to not patronize such places. But, like you said, concealed means concealed. 

I hope you have fun. Beware the speed traps around Myrtle Beach, there are many and they will nail you.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 10:57:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for advice. I will certainly be paying attention to my speed as well.

D16man - well.. At least you have a great view!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My view for the week... With my wife's libtard family.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/337946/15001490906021883636287-254670.jpg
View Quote
Do you have a recreational saltwater fishing license? Looks like a nice peaceful beach to cast a line.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a great week.  No issues.  Stayed out of Myrtle Beach.   We mostly hung around Surfside and points south.  Saw someone's pick up with a huge Grunt Style sticker across the back window.   No ARFCOM stickers.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 10:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Had a great week.  No issues.  Stayed out of Myrtle Beach.   We mostly hung around Surfside and points south.  Saw someone's pick up with a huge Grunt Style sticker across the back window.   No ARFCOM stickers.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Glad you enjoyed your time here. I honestly think I'm the only one with a BFL. I haven't spotted one yet.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:40:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have BFLs on my car, and my truck.

Like you, I seldom see any BFL stickers even though I cover a territory that covers from DC to LA.
View Quote
I've spotted two BFLs, once at the State IDPA match back in 2010, and another a couple of years ago at a 3-gun match in NC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top