Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks guys, anyone else thinking they will be able to make it that morning? After this, anyone have ideas for other locations?

From the ridge to rivers FB, looks like the table rock trails are drying out, or if its easier for lungbuster to meet up, we could try Bonneville point which is off of blacks creek road between boise and mountain home. We could also just map out a distance out in the desert and follow roads until we hit distance and afterwards could shoot if we wanted.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Current weather forecast is calling for rain on Saturday, so might muddy up those trails pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I am thinking its probably best to keep it on the greenbelt for this one. I would like to get off paved ground, but I don't want to tear up trails if we have other options. Plus for the time being, if there are people who want to join in that haven't carried weight or it has been a while this makes for a decent option without killing themselves from the start while we are waiting for the trails to dry. Once we start adding in elevation changes things get another level of difficulty involved.  On that note, if you are wanting to come out and join us weight is only required if you want to take part in the APC rating system. I would love to have as many people out there and we can network with one another and meet other Idahoans.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the tests! I got the level 1 almost a year ago to the day. Haven't used it once haha. Count me in for this Saturday. I did a dry run and completed a 5.9mi well under time with a 45lb pack. So I plan to bring that.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Fantastic! Do you have a radio? If not, I have a few Baofengs and you are more than welcome to borrow one, or I can help you program one if you need it. I can say it is definitely more fun when you aren't trying to figure it out blindly for local repeaters and such. If anyone coming to these hikes wants me to, I will happily bring my computer and baofeng cable and get your radio set with either local repeaters/simplex/ham bands or FRS/GMRS/MURS if you would like.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fantastic! Do you have a radio? If not, I have a few Baofengs and you are more than welcome to borrow one, or I can help you program one if you need it. I can say it is definitely more fun when you aren't trying to figure it out blindly for local repeaters and such. If anyone coming to these hikes wants me to, I will happily bring my computer and baofeng cable and get your radio set with either local repeaters/simplex/ham bands or FRS/GMRS/MURS if you would like.
View Quote
Speaking of...

Did you see this thread?

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Teach-me-about-baofeng-radios/5-2303147/
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I had seen it, and was going to post early but waited and it turned into the usual baofeng thread. I will happily plug in FRS/GMRS freqs for anyone that wants them but will let you know about not being type certified, and probably lacking in range unless you get a different antenna setup. Ham bands I will recommend that you get your license and practice with it because it's a little different than frs/GMRS and if you interfere with bands without being licensed it could be a bad day if someone was motivated enough or decided you could be worth some practice for a club doing fox hunting.

Around here, with a couple of the linked repeaters you can reach into Salt Lake, or Portland, occasionally Northern California, and Nevada on ham freqs, but there looks to be a single gmrs repeater in kuna that is restricted by the owner.
Technician can be easily learned taking your lunch break for a couple weeks and studying the question pools which are publicly available and taking a test for 15 dollars. I used the free app "Ham Test Prep" which has both a study section and practice tests.

To be legal beagle on GMRS you technically need a license too, which is something like 85 bucks, no test, works for a family, but not something most people are probably going to do unless they want to access repeaters or have been told.

In short, I don't necessarily care, but I will give you the information necessary to ensure you are informed of the current requirements. What you do with that information is up to you, as long as you understand there can be consequences for those actions, whether you believe there should be or not.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Baofeng on a whim a couple of years ago. I will get my license eventually.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:15:52 PM EDT
[#9]
They aren't terrible little radios, but they do have their limitations. I have a few in different places until I decide what mobile units I want to go with, and I have been happy with a mag mount on the car, and a home made antenna that I had on my shed until I recently moved.
There is a repeater north of I84, off of blacks creek road by bonneville point that could possibly get you into the valley from mountain home, depending on where you are. Repeater ID is K3ZFF, 145.25 with a -0.6MHz offset, PL of 100Hz.

I will throw it out there, I'm not some crazy ham guru but if anyone wants a baofeng programmed I'll bring my computer and cable with me, and I will be happy to program a radio and talk you through different things with them.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I will still be there tomorrow morning. It looks like it could rain, so recommend you bring appropriate clothing, and if your pack isnt waterproof, either a pack cover or trash bag might be good. If anyone is wanting a baofeng programmed I will have my computer and cable too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I'll be there at 9 rain or shine. I have gear
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:09:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I won’t make it fellas. Gotta work tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:05:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Today's ruck was a success. @calicontractor @bushamster21 and I made a 6.4 mile loop in 1 hour and 46 minutes. Weather started off pretty awful but cleared up shortly after hitting the path, and didn't start up again until almost to the parking lot. If anyone wants a baofeng programmed and a run down on working it, I will be bringing my computer and cable from now on too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Something we discussed this morning is getting out of the city and trying a hike that has a little more change in elevation. Does anyone have any preference or an idea where they want to try? This is the Bonneville point loop I have brought up. It does have a good amount of elevation change but should have decent views of the valley, and the way back up looks to be a gradual climb, not a vertical wall.
Coordinates are 43.4917576, -116.0398708 to the parking lot.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Any place to do some shooting out by that loop?  Thinking after we do the hike we could get some practice in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 12:28:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Ya I’d be wondering the same too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 10:37:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I will have to search and see if there are any signs posted like there are around the surprise valley area, but otherwise it is BLM land. In the google earth views it looks like there are vehicles on the dirt road, and I can only assume they might have been shooting. Here is an OnX view of the area. There would be a WMA that we would pass through on the hike, but shouldn't be too much of a concern for carrying firearms through the area.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Ya as long as it’s blm, we’ll be golden.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#19]
@Extrabonez

Is the OnX worth the money? If I remember they have a monthly subscription? I'm using old Gezateer and Delorme maps now.

I had an accidental trespass last fall in Montana that could of cost me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Full disclosure, I worked at cabelas and was given a year of the app by their rep to allow us to be familiar with the product and its use so I didn't have to pay for mine. They do offer a free 7 day trial on their website so you can check it out and see their features before you buy anything.

During hunting season I found it very useful so I was able to see property lines, some of which weren't very clearly marked when checking places in person. If I was only wanting to hunt public land, or unfamiliar areas, I think it is a useful tool to see boundary lines.

However, if I were to do it again, I would probably get a standalone GPS unit and buy their chip. With the chip the information is always on there and isn't bricked after the subscription is up. The only thing you would have to do is if you wanted to update it down the road, is pay for the 30 dollar subscription which gives you yearly access on computer/phone/app, and allows for updates on your chip for a year again. They are normally sold in single state chips, but if you contact the company they say they can make multi state chips.

As far as if it's worth it, I think it's a little on the expensive side, but it's handy if scouting unfamiliar areas. There are probably other free options to map out everything OnX includes, but for the ease of not having to search it myself, I personally think it's worth it when considering what I could be doing with that time instead.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 12:10:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Extrabonez

Is the OnX worth the money? If I remember they have a monthly subscription? I'm using old Gezateer and Delorme maps now.

I had an accidental trespass last fall in Montana that could of cost me.
View Quote
It's definitely worth it if you intend to use it a lot. I only used it during hunting season so the prices sort of steep for that one month of use.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#22]
The other way I would look at it is, what would the equivalent amount of time be to gather the info and apply it to an easy to navigate format that I can have on multiple things like phone/gps/computer? The 4 hours it costs me for a chip + subscription in working, is much less than trying to piece it together myself. Plus like you mentioned, if you trespass because you didn't know, it could cost you big time in fees and lost licenses and potentially confiscated game.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, I'll check into it more. I hunt in 3 different states right now, so I'd have to see if there's any extra cost for that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
They used to offer multi state chips, but have gone to single state with higher resolution. I would contact the company and see what they can do. When I had asked the rep about multi state, he had said to call them and they should be able to get it to work. The other option would be the elite subscription, which gives all 50 states on phone/computer/tablet but doesn't come with a chip so you would still have to get a chip for the state if you wanted to use a standalone GPS unit.

I have to go out towards gowen anyways for some business today, so after I finish I will go to Bonneville Point and take a look and see if it looks like it is workable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#25]
First off, if you haven't been to Bonneville Point before, it's a nice piece of history for the valley area. Second, if you guys wanted more elevation change this would be the place. Good thing is, it would only be half of the hike uphill. Where the sunlight is hitting in the middle is where we would go down to the road, and then it would wrap around the far hill, and then up a valley back to the flat area that is on the middle here.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#26]
EB, is there any flat part with a backstop near where we can park our vehicles? After we hike, I can setup my steel targets for some shooting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 1:07:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Doesn't look like a whole lot up there, looks like the trail would be about the midpoint of the ridge and probably about 100 yards on either side starts sloping downhill. If you dont mind shooting sloped downward, there is a hill on the north side, or you could shoot across the valley it creates but I didnt range what the other side is at.

Unless you guys wanted to do the hike later in the day, (After say 2pm) I wont be able to make this Saturday work because my wife has plans for us in the morning.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd be interested in attending one of these in the future. Also debating grabbing a Baofeng or two, is there any particular model you'd recommend?
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I would say the standard UV5R is fine. I think I have a couple UV5rs, and UV5RA or something. If you really want you can do the 8HP, for a few extra watts of power, but I would rather spend the money on a better antenna than the small amount of power you will get. With these VHF/UHF radios, Line of Sight is key. If you buy a radio, either get the programming cable or you can borrow mine or whenever we have the next hike I will bring my laptop, but it is much easier to use CHIRP than to fiddle with programming from the face. I recommend getting some extra batteries too, whether they are the large size or not, it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I can do anytime Sunday. Breaking in a barrel on my 6.5 cm tomorrow morning and then getting chrony data.
Link Posted: 3/20/2020 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I can do anytime Sunday. Breaking in a barrel on my 6.5 cm tomorrow morning and then getting chrony data.
View Quote

Where you gonna go to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#32]
The blm land on Emmet road between Middleton and Emmet. There is a pretty popular spot just before the irrigation ditch
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyone still wanting to do any walks, even while the SIP is in place?
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 11:16:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Anyone still wanting to do any walks, even while the SIP is in place?
View Quote

I'd like to get outside. Obviously stay off the GB.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#35]
If you have any suggestions where you want to go, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you have any suggestions where you want to go, I'm all ears.
View Quote

Maybe we should just go shooting like we wanted to?
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm down, but it woukd have to be Sunday-tuesday. I have work this Saturday still so I wouldnt have a lot of time inbetween shifts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:44:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm down, but it woukd have to be Sunday-tuesday. I have work this Saturday still so I wouldnt have a lot of time inbetween shifts.
View Quote

Man, weather just ain’t complying. Next weekend is looking like a no-go as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 11:21:23 AM EDT
[#39]
I will make the next meet up

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Awesome! Have any suggestions where you want to do one, or what is your availability? I know with the virus stuff going on it can make this a little harder, plus the weather is going to make getting into the foothills or other non paved trails less likely to work.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#41]
My free time is usually on the weekends. I walk the greenbelts in Nampa as much as I can. I try to do at least three miles a day of walking. If I don't get that in at work. I will hit the path near my home.

Where have you guys been meeting up?

What gear do you bring along?  

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Thus far we have started at Veterans Memorial Park, on the north side of the river. From the parking lot we go to the greenbelt and head east until we reach Americana Blvd. or the Anne Frank Memorial and then head back. That puts us at about 6.3-6.5 miles. Because of the amount of people on the greenbelt most of us have been just carrying packs and opting to carry the extra weight rather than carry a long gun. I personally carry either a G19 or Beretta 92 in a Hill People Gear Runners bag. I know CaliContractor is over that direction, so I'm sure he wouldn't mind not having to drive across the valley to get to one of these if you have an idea of somewhere you want to try one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 10:00:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone up for this, this weekend? That spot that extra found that we could shot on sounds like it's out of the way. I can bring steel targets
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm down. Heads up with Bonnevile Point, it looks to have a decent anount of elevation change, so if we hike, recommend you run minimum weight necessary for qualifications unless you are used to that sort of thing. I'll see if I can find info on the elevation differences, and see if they fall under the reduced speed requirements listed in the main APC/BB thread.

If you have an area it closer to you, that's fine by me also. I have been using google maps to search for trails and comparing to other maps to see if there are any usage restrictions. If you dont have access to something like Onx or huntview or other property maps, send me/post the coordinates and I will pull up the location and get the information off Onx.

I don't have my hill people bag with me tonight, nor running stuff, but I'll bring it tomorrow and Friday morning I'll go run it and try not to die and get data.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I might be able to make it depending on wether or not we finish laying our new floors.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I'll be with you in Spirit.....
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Also, in mapping out areas, looks like south of kuna where everyone generally pulls off of swan falls road to go shooting we could make a 6 mile loop. Going from swan falls road, follow the dirt road east, and we can wrap around the north side and over coyote by the there, and then loop around the butte again, go over the small half of it and then backtrack to the road. It keeps to dirt roads, which should keep us visible but would make for a hot and dirty movement. Upside would be that afterwards we could pretty much find a spot and set targets out and shoot there as well.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:27:29 AM EDT
[#48]
I went out to bonneville point this morning, and I don't think it's going to be somewhere we can easily shoot. Putting targets out would be a difficult task (walking them out)and would have to be fairly tall to be seen over the sagebrush. There were a few spots approx. 3 miles in that can be covered by vehicles, that allowed to probably 1k but there was a car and tent there this morning. Deer and cows roam the area as well.

Elevation... Was rough. I was only wearing my HPG kit bag, and was running, but the trail down is a decent grade. Uphill has a couple spots that are worse than others, but for the most part is more of a gradual ascent. It was into a steep enough valley it caused my phone GPS to lose connection, and no cell service for about a mile in the lower portion of the trail that connects the WMA to the dam. I will have to get numbers from a topo map, but from where you can see across, just picture the lowest point is the top of the dam and the upper point is even with Highway 21 as it continues to climb into the hills.

I suggest if we do this one, its going to be more difficult than others we will likely do, and could use more practice and bringing minimum qualifying weight for now. Beautiful scenery and animals, plus cool history of the area but damn it whipped my fat ass.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:41:50 PM EDT
[#49]
As far as I can see, there is about an 850' elevation change each way by using topo maps of the area. Per the guidelines thread, wouldn't meet the 1000' required to change minimum pace.

If anyone still wants to do this one, I will join in, but  know it's a little more involved than the flat ground we have done so far. However the only sign of people I had seen was a car and tent about 1/2 mile to the NW of the trail I was on after leaving the WMA there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm down for anything Sunday. The winds are just going to be to much to enjoy outdoors tomorrow.  I just got back from Arizona and It blew every damn day down there.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top