Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2017 1:51:09 AM EDT
Well, it was a looong and beautiful drive. I wish I spent more time in some areas and less in others. Jasper is cool and only a day away from Sand Point. Lots of the drive was a blur.  Nav made us blow by all of Idaho to drive through Washington and Oregon on a freeway. I kinda wish I drove through Idaho to see the areas I want to visit in the near future.

Currently renting while home shopping in the western Boise area. Looking for good phone  coverage for the area and a good FCU(bank). I build and fix things, residential remodel and auto repair, any areas to focus on for work?

We checked out the military reserve area in the hills and enjoyed the view. I look forward to finding the breweries.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:Looking for good phone  coverage for the area and a good FCU(bank).
View Quote

When I got here I switched from BECU (CU in WA state) to Chase because I wanted more access to banks/ATMs while traveling.  I hear good things about Idaho Central Credit Union as well.

I would go with either Verizon or T-Mobile for your phone service.

Checkout Sockeye Brewing in Meridian off Fairview.  Good beer and good food.  When you say "western Boise area" that usually means Meridian or maybe Nampa.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:13:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard Verizon was the best, tmobile is who gci is contracted with and I am happy with the coverage so far. I'll probably pick between the two based off of who has the best contact buy out.

I saw sock eye brewing and look forward to trying it out. I like to hit breweries where ever I travel.

We popped three out of four bike tires while out riding. It was a short walk back lucky enough.  I'll have to get puncture resistant tires and maybe some liners. I called them pricks evil desert plants.

What are the good shooting ranges?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I have yet to be anywhere in the Treasure Valley area and say "damn, I don't have any signal" with T-mobile.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Verizon is best when traveling around the state(rural areas especially).  If you only care about coverage in Boise I think any of them will work ok. I really like Idaho Central Credit Union.  Have had good experience with them .
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Verizon is the only reasonable choice for the Salmon area.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I was on Verizon and it was good I switched to T-Mobile for price and I regret it. I'm in Nampa.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:13:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll need a new phone since mine won't work with Verizon.

When's winter start?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I switched to VRZ and it has been good.  A couple of years ago I was with Sprint and up in the woods I had a little better reception than the VRZ folks.  That wouldn't make it worthwhile to have Sprint IMHO. 

ICCU has been fine for us.

The goatheads are hell on bike tires.  Mountain bike guys seemed to have better luck running tubeless. 
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll need a new phone since mine won't work with Verizon.

When's winter start?
View Quote
It wouldn't be be out of the ordinary to have a few flakes falling while the kids are trick or treating.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to try the puncture resistant liners and maybe the gooey tubes in the other bike. At least tubes are cheap and two of the tires only have a hole or two. Third tire must of had thirty of the goat heads.

Any way to rent a shop? I have to pull a transmission to seal it up. I don't want to sail the exxon Valdez around town. I was thinking about renting a rv spot at a storage place and maybe working there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
If you plan to spend much time in the mountains, Verizon is the only answer.  Yeah they are liberal, and yeah their plans suck without employer's discount, but their coverage can't be beat unless you do sat phone.

study and get your ham license too, lots of repeaters, especially on that side of the state
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:01:30 AM EDT
[#12]
OP...

The brewing scene is just starting in Idaho. The growth will be good for the next few years.

You have a few starting around Nampa, then east all the way to Boise. Barbarian Brewing was one of my favs during a house scouting trip back in June. I like barrel aged and sour beers.

The owner of Mother Earth Brewery actually left California to start brewing in Nampa a few years ago. The original location is still located right down the street from my house in Vista, Ca.

I myself hope to be living in Idaho full-time by late spring next year.

_
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top