Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2017 8:53:39 PM EDT
I'm headed to Arizona for some prairie dog hunting and will be coming back via California, so I need a couple of bullet buttons to be "legal" as I head through the state.

I'm in Middleton, so if anyone is near me, that would be great.

Let me know!

Eric  
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm headed to Arizona for some prairie dog hunting and will be coming back via California, so I need a couple of bullet buttons to be "legal" as I head through the state.

I'm in Middleton, so if anyone is near me, that would be great.

Let me know!

Eric  
View Quote

Weren't bullet buttons just banned and everything now has to be featureless? https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/bullet-button

If you still want one I might have some, I honestly don't know what I did with them when I left but they might be in my parts box.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:23:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
These are AR15s that are rimfires, so they do not fall under the new California laws.  I just want them on to avoid any extra hassles if I get checked.

All centerfire AR15s are being shipped from AZ to pick-up in NV on our way out of CA.

Still looking if anyone finds one.  Thanks for the info!

Eric 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:51:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn't this covered by Peaceable Journey laws?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Not if you stop for the night, or plan to maybe go hunting.  We hunted there in June (rimfires), with no issues, but this time I plan on being in the Los Angeles area for a couple of days.  My cameraman, Tom, will be visiting a buddy of his who is very ill.  Otherwise, we would bypass CA all-together.

I wouldn't risk any type of traveling through CA with any type of firearm that would get me in trouble.  It's not worth the hassle and expense to get things straightened out.

Eric  
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I might. Let me check my parts box when I get home. I'll let you know

Sorry. For some reason I have a BB tool but not the actual BB
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Unless you plan on shooting, just separate the upper and lowers and keep them in separate bags.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:38:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you plan on shooting, just separate the upper and lowers and keep them in separate bags.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've been told by those I trust that this is not a viable option right now.

Quoted:
I might. Let me check my parts box when I get home. I'll let you know

Sorry. For some reason I have a BB tool but not the actual BB
No problem.  I appreciate you checking!

Eric 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:19:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Are uppers any more regulated in CA than they are any place else?  It would seem you can separate the uppers and the lowers and put the lowers in a lockable transport box and be fine as long as you disclose to any LEO that you happen to run into that you are resident of another state that does not have the requirements that CA has and show that you are safely transporting them in a non usable state and they have been secured.  I would contact the CA DOJ and ask them how they handle non resident transport through the state to return to your state of residence.

Either that or just ship them back to yourself and finish your trip up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Are uppers any more regulated in CA than they are any place else?  It would seem you can separate the uppers and the lowers and put the lowers in a lockable transport box and be fine as long as you disclose to any LEO that you happen to run into that you are resident of another state that does not have the requirements that CA has and show that you are safely transporting them in a non usable state and they have been secured.  I would contact the CA DOJ and ask them how they handle non resident transport through the state to return to your state of residence.

Either that or just ship them back to yourself and finish your trip up.
View Quote
Uppers are not regulated. You can transport your AR's through the state. Separate the upper and lowers. Take the stock off the lower. Put everything in separate bags/boxes. Boom, legal.
Mags more than 10 rounds are not legal to bring into the state. I would also take those apart as well.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I checked yesterday and I do not have any sorry.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:53:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I checked yesterday and I do not have any sorry.
View Quote
No problem.  I actually found one today while working on organizing my reloading bench.

For the folks who are saying uppers aren't an issue in CA.  Right now, this is a grey area and not something I wish to become a test case for.  If the CA DOJ, and a leading gun rights group for CA, recommend against it, then I'm not going to take the chance.  I'll be shipping my centerfire uppers out of AZ to NV for pick-up after leaving CA.

Please beware of this issue (all the parts you are carrying can technically make an "assault rifle", even if it is taken apart and stored) if you decide to travel into CA with a centerfire AR15 upper.

Eric 
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No problem.  I actually found one today while working on organizing my reloading bench.

For the folks who are saying uppers aren't an issue in CA.  Right now, this is a grey area and not something I wish to become a test case for.  If the CA DOJ, and a leading gun rights group for CA, recommend against it, then I'm not going to take the chance.  I'll be shipping my centerfire uppers out of AZ to NV for pick-up after leaving CA.

Please beware of this issue (all the parts you are carrying can technically make an "assault rifle", even if it is taken apart and stored) if you decide to travel into CA with a centerfire AR15 upper.

Eric 
View Quote
There is nothing grey about uppers in Cali. This is the same mindset which makes Cali the way Cali is. You can always call a gun shop in Cali and ask them yourself.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll be in the middle of that god forsaken state tomorrow thru oct 6 or so. If you need something I can bring it back with me. Hell my son may even have a couple, I'll ask.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There is nothing grey about uppers in Cali. This is the same mindset which makes Cali the way Cali is. You can always call a gun shop in Cali and ask them yourself.
View Quote
I'll stick with the Calguns Foundation/Firearms Policy Coalition and the CA DOJ (the latter not being able to answer the question definitively).

Eric  
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'll stick with the Calguns Foundation/Firearms Policy Coalition and the CA DOJ (the latter not being able to answer the question definitively).

Eric  
View Quote
You must not have actually talked to anyone from either place. Good luck with your trip.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Eric  
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:45:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You must not have actually talked to anyone from either place. Good luck with your trip.
View Quote
If you say so...  

Eric  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top