Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 1:59:47 PM EDT
I know here in the US that a foreigner can legally buy/own firearms provided they are here legally for a certain period of time. Is that true in Canada? I've never heard one way or another. I do know they have considerable firearm restrictions (no mags greater than 10rds, pistols with shorter than 4" barrels, etc)
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, there is no restiction on who can get a permit.  You need to pass a test, and you need to get a police background check done, but citizenship and residency are not requirements.

If you go to purchase a firearm within Canada, it's registered as normal.   If you reside, or have an address up here it's not a problem.  If you do not, then they will want to know where the gun will be staying, and under who's control it will be.

A friend from the UK picked up Sig 540 Sniper and had to give them my address for storage purposes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the information. That's what I wanted to know. Sounds like with the exception of mag restrictions and barrel length on pistols you can have most of the same stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top