Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
That is the guy from GOA I believe.

The way I read that from Gary, you would be correct Country. What I noted was that with a Permit, you have the full plate.  The restrictions that are there, are for either Open or Permitless carry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually, I did want to ask what GOA was doing about this and HB258. Obviously they are involved.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I also noticed the mask. He did talk during the conference. I'm pretty sure he is the senator who wrote the bill.
View Quote

I believe that is Representative Berglee, the bill sponsor.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is the guy from GOA I believe.

The way I read that from Gary, you would be correct Country. What I noted was that with a Permit, you have the full plate.  The restrictions that are there, are for either Open or Permitless carry.
View Quote

The big take away is that there is nothing written into MT Code to discipline a person that concealed carrys into a private property that says "no guns allowed". Gary seems to claim that same thing goes for areas such as a county jail that is able to restrict the public from concealed carrying in the building.

I plan to read back through Gary's comments.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Congratulations on your Permitless (Constitutional) Carry, MT!

You all fought hard, and won!  It serves as encouragement to those of us in states where we've been losing ground.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You all fought hard, and won!  It serves as encouragement to those of us in states where we've been losing ground.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thank you!

My personal favorite twists are the stated purpose/preamble/stated legislative intent in the bill:

Section 1. Purpose. The purpose of [sections 1 through 11] is to enhance the safety of people by expanding their legal ability to provide for their own defense by reducing or eliminating government-mandated places where only criminals are armed and where citizens are prevented from exercising their fundamental right to defend themselves and others.

Section 2. Legislative intent. It is the intent of the legislature to reduce or remove provisions of law that limit or prohibit the ability of citizens to defend themselves by restricting with prior restraint the right to keep or bear arms that the people have reserved to themselves in the Montana constitution, and to further establish that the right to defense of a person’s life, liberty, or property is a fundamental right.

And second - the fact that it immediately applies to everyone here. With the exception of the changes to the college go/no-go areas it went into effect the very moment the governor signed it. If you can legally own a gun then you're good to go for carry. Resident/tourist/lifetime Montanan. Doesn't matter. Rights are for all!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I read it. Yes, you are correct. The prohibited places have all been removed (if you have a permit) from the law. Section 4 lists the places where someone with a permit may be prohibited or restricted from carrying. This section does not allow for fines or jail time. All it allows these places to do is to kick someone out. If one of these places happen to be your employer, they can fire you. Of course, federal property is going to be regulated federally. But as I read it, you can pretty much carry anywhere now. I think we just got the best carry laws in the country.
View Quote

They aren't done yet! HB 436 will be introduced on Monday in the HJC. This will make MT even better!

A BILL FOR AN ACT ENTITLED: “AN ACT REVISING WEAPONS LAWS; PROVIDING THAT THE
CARRYING OF A CONCEALED WEAPON IN A PUBLICLY OWNED AND OCCUPIED BUILDING MAY NOT
BE LIMITED BY LOCAL GOVERNMENT; REMOVING THE PENALTY FOR CARRYING A CONCEALED
WEAPON IN A PROHIBITED PLACE; AMENDING SECTIONS 45-8-317, 45-8-321, AND 45-8-351, MCA; AND
REPEALING SECTION 45-8-328, MCA.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They aren't done yet! HB 436 will be introduced on Monday in the HJC. This will make MT even better!

CARRYING OF A CONCEALED WEAPON IN A PUBLICLY OWNED AND OCCUPIED BUILDING MAY NOT
WEAPON IN A PROHIBITED PLACE; AMENDING SECTIONS 45-8-317, 45-8-321, AND 45-8-351, MCA; AND
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read it. Yes, you are correct. The prohibited places have all been removed (if you have a permit) from the law. Section 4 lists the places where someone with a permit may be prohibited or restricted from carrying. This section does not allow for fines or jail time. All it allows these places to do is to kick someone out. If one of these places happen to be your employer, they can fire you. Of course, federal property is going to be regulated federally. But as I read it, you can pretty much carry anywhere now. I think we just got the best carry laws in the country.

Oh! That must by why people in Bozeman have been shrieking recently.

Oh well. I'll have a coke.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:12:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Some movement should be coming for HB 258 as the Sponsor will be proposing some safe amendments. Now is the time to message the HJC (mainly the R members) to support the Sponsor's amendments ONLY.

HB 436 passed the HJC and will be moving to the House floor for second reading. This should be on the floor on Wednesday or Thursday.

HB 504 passed the HJC also. It will aim to prevent confiscation of ammunition, ammunition components, and accessories during a declared emergency. (MT approved an MSSA bill to prevent gun confiscation a few years back)  It will also prohibit closure of stores that sell those things in a declared emergency, and prohibit closure of shooting ranges in a declared emergency.  HB 504 should also be scheduled for House Second Reading tomorrow or the next day as well.

ETA: Message your House Rep to support HB436 and HB504 Message
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Done and passed it along also...thank you Sir for the info.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Looks like HB258 is out of committee, and check out this amendment!

Insert: "NEW SECTION. Section 8. Retroactive applicability. [This act] applies retroactively, within themeaning of 1-2-109, to a federal law, executive order, rule, or regulation adopted or enacted on or after January 1, 2021, or a new and more restrictive interpretation of a law that existed on January 1, 2021

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Insert: "NEW SECTION. Section 8. Retroactive applicability. [This act] applies retroactively, within themeaning of 1-2-109, to a federal law, executive order, rule, or regulation adopted or enacted on or after January 1, 2021, or a new and more restrictive interpretation of a law that existed on January 1, 2021

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

The wording was a bugger to work out. I believe MSSA intended this bill to back date to a much earlier time in history. Not sure 100%. But I like the "more restrictive interpretation" part.

Very nice!

Second and third readings in the House are expected to happen on Thursday and Friday for these bills.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Update from MSSA:

HB 102 - eliminate "gun free zones". Signed by Governor.

HB 258 - prohibit state and local government employees from enforcing new federal gun laws. Approved by House Judiciary Committee and scheduled for House Second Reading today.

HB 436 - amend Montana preemption law to further restrict local government regulation of firearms. Passed by House and sent to Senate.

HB 504 - prohibit confiscation of ammunition, ammo components and accessories; prohibit closure of businesses that sell these things; prohibit closure of shooting ranges, all during a declared emergency. Approved by House Judiciary Committee and awaiting House Second Reading soon.

SB 283 - clarify that school boards have discretion to not expel a student with a forgotten firearm in a locked vehicle in a school parking lot. Awaiting action by the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:14:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the updates!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the update Country,

I really like these "common sense gun laws" that Montana has passed and are working on !

KC
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#18]
258 isn't stalling out, is it? Do we need to turn up the heat?
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
258 isn't stalling out, is it? Do we need to turn up the heat?
View Quote

Nope, it is doing fine. HB 258 was passed in the House and transferred to the Senate.

We have reached the mid-point of this year's session and members are on a long weekend break. They will be back Monday or Tuesday and things will be rolling again.

All bills had to be passed by the original chamber and sent to the other chamber by this point, or else they are dead.

ETA: I believe all of the good bills discussed up to this point have made the cut line and are still alive and good.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA: I believe all of the good bills discussed up to this point have made the cut line and are still alive and good.
View Quote

That's basically what I gathered from Aarons radio program this morning.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like 258 was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks like 258 was referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee.
View Quote

Step by step is still progress.

ETA: Scheduled for next Tuesday. Good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:55:29 PM EDT
[#23]
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20210310/montana-emergency-powers-legislation-referred-to-senate-committee-for-vote-next-week

On Tuesday, March 16, the Senate Judiciary Committee is scheduled to consider Emergency Powers Legislation, House Bill 504.  Please contact committee members and ask them to SUPPORT House Bill 504.

House Bill 504 provides protections for gun stores, ranges, or any other entity that engages in the lawful selling or servicing of firearms, components, or accessories. HB 504 also prevents the prohibition, regulation, or seizure of citizens’ Second Amendment rights during a declared State of Emergency.

Again, please contact members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and ask them to SUPPORT House Bill 504.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#24]
It looks like there will be several good bills that will be heard in the SJC on the 16th.

HB 258 and HB 504 should be supported "as is" with no amendments.

While, HB 436 may get an amendment by the sponsor that Gary M is working on. If it makes it in, then we will want to tell SJC members to support with the Sponsor's Amendments only.

Send a separate message for each bill. Be polite and keep them short.

Hopefully Gary will get more info out on HB 436 soon.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 11:15:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are nice enough to give them directions on how to get back to California when they shrieking aren't you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

You are nice enough to give them directions on how to get back to California when they shrieking aren't you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly? It seems like most of the jerks were born here. They moved elsewhere and picked up big city attitudes - and now they're back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#27]
HB 258 and HB 502 did not have much, if any opposition and should move forward through the SJC. Please send a message of support to the SJC anyways.

HB 436 had several people/groups in opposition. They cried to the committee, claiming the typical bs and trying to cause panic and a lot of confusion. Please contact members of the SJC and ask them to approve HB 436 with only the sponsor's amendment. Hopefully, they keep it moving without any harm.

ETA: Legislature Messaging

In Gary's email today, he stated, "While in Helena, I made connections with legislators about two exciting new issues that may evolve before the Legislature.  I cannot say just what now, but stay tuned for further announcements.  You'll like these a lot if I can bring either or both of them to fruition."

He has me hook, line, and sinker. Can't wait to hear what else he could possibly be working on.

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
HB 258 and HB 502 did not have much, if any opposition and should move forward through the SJC. Please send a message of support to the SJC anyways.

HB 436 had several people/groups in opposition. They cried to the committee, claiming the typical bs and trying to cause panic and a lot of confusion. Please contact members of the SJC and ask them to approve HB 436 with only the sponsor's amendment. Hopefully, they keep it moving without any harm.

In Gary's email today, he stated, "While in Helena, I made connections with legislators about two exciting new issues that may evolve before the Legislature.  I cannot say just what now, but stay tuned for further announcements.  You'll like these a lot if I can bring either or both of them to fruition."

He has me hook, line, and sinker. Can't wait to hear what else he could possibly be working on.

View Quote

Contact the SJC members again? Will do!

I've got my fingers crossed for whatever it is Gary is working on. That man is a miracle worker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe I found the wrong bill somehow, but I'm not sure what HB502 has to do with gun rights.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Maybe I found the wrong bill somehow, but I'm not sure what HB502 has to do with gun rights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He meant HB 504.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

He meant HB 504.
View Quote

Yes, this. Sorry.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:18:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like HB258 is making progress.

Country, does Gary have any more info on these bills, or the "interesting" things? You can always expound via PM or the Signal group if you'd like.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:10:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Looks like HB258 is making progress.

Country, does Gary have any more info on these bills, or the "interesting" things? You can always expound via PM or the Signal group if you'd like.
View Quote

So I have been a bit overworked lately, but here is Gary M's update from last Friday. I will try and take a look at bill movement on the state's website this evening and update the op.

The Senate Judiciary Committee approved both HB 258 and HB 504 in its meeting this morning. To refresh you, HB 258 will prevent state and local government employees from enforcing any new federal gun control laws, executive orders, and regulations. HB 504 prevents use of emergency powers in a declared emergency to confiscate ammunition, reloading components and equipment, and firearm accessories, and to prevent closure of business selling that stuff and shooting ranges.

These two bills will now go to Second Reading before the full Senate. Please contact your senator to ask for support for these bills.

The SJC did not take action on HB 436, to extend LR-130 and further restrict the authority of local governments to regulate firearms. Messages to the SJC about HB 436 should ask SJC members to approve the bill with only the sponsor's amendments(s).

SB 283, to clarify law about school expulsions for students who have a firearm in a vehicle in the school parking lot is scheduled for a public hearing before the House Judiciary Committee on March 26th. Messages to the HJC should ask members to support SB 283.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#34]
That's great news, and thanks for the updates!

But...it sounded like the other issues that "may evolve" were things that we'd really like. Any info you can release?
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
That's great news, and thanks for the updates!

But...it sounded like the other issues that "may evolve" were things that we'd really like. Any info you can release?
View Quote

I wish I had more info for you! I am in the dark as well. I know that Gary will release any and all the details when he has them.

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#36]
MSSA supports SB 283.
This bill would clarify that a school board is not required to expel for a year a student who has a firearm locked in a private vehicle in a school parking lot. Because SB 283 clarifies additional discretion for school boards, it increases their authority to deal with such situations on a case-by-case basis.
In the past, school boards have been misadvised about their authority in such matters. Bad legal advice told school boards that they had no choice but to expel such students for a year. Because of that bad advice and according to my research, 451 Montana youth had their futures ruined with an often-unnecessary one-year expulsion. That is something these kids will never be able to adequately explain on a college admission or scholarship application.
Please save the futures of Montana kids by clarifying that school boards have full discretion to use common sense in these matters. Approve SB 283.
Sincerely,
Gary Marbut, president

Dear MSSA Friends,

HB 258, MSSA's bill to prevent state and local government employees from enforcing new federal gun laws, was supposed to be on Senate Second Reading on Tuesday. It was skipped for consideration that day.
I have just learned why, and the reason is benign. There was some confusion about which senator would carry HB 258 on the floor of the Senate - which senator would introduce HB 258 and be its primary champion.
That confusion has been resolved. I am told that HB 258 will now be scheduled for Senate Second Reading on Monday, March 29th. If you haven't contacted your senator already, contact him or her this weekend and ask for support of HB 258.
SB 283 will have a public hearing before the House Judiciary Committee tomorrow, March 26th. SB 283 will clarify the law about discipline of students who have a firearm locked in a vehicle in a school parking lot, so school boards will know they are not required to expel such students for a year. Please get messages to HJC members asking them to support SB 283.
Best wishes,
--
Gary Marbut, President

Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There was some confusion about which senator would carry HB 258 on the floor of the Senate - which senator would introduce HB 258 and be its primary champion.
That confusion has been resolved. I am told that HB 258 will now be scheduled for Senate Second Reading on Monday, March 29th.
View Quote

Whew! Nice. I raised an eyebrow when it was seemingly passed over.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Any issues on 258 today?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 10:56:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Any issues on 258 today?
View Quote

I just checked, it does not appear that it was heard for second reading today. Maybe there wasn't enough time to get through everything?
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:46:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I just checked, it does not appear that it was heard for second reading today. Maybe there wasn't enough time to get through everything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any issues on 258 today?

Officially there's been nothing since a pass on considering it on the 24th. I guess it's time to send more e-mails.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#41]
After some delay, HB 258, MSSA's bill to prevent state and local government employees from enforcing new federal gun laws, is once again on the schedule for 2nd reading on the Senate Floor TOMORROW, Wednesday 3/31. Please contact your Montana Senators and kindly ask them to support HB 258 with only the sponsor approved amendments. You can send them a message using the legislative web messaging service at leg.mt.gov/web-messaging/

If you would like to witness the Senate Floor debate and vote on HB 258 tomorrow, you may watch & listen to the Senate Floor Session beginning at 1:00pm
http://sg001-harmony.sliq.net/00309/Harmony/en/PowerBrowser/PowerBrowserV2/20210330/-1/41144

Let's get HB 258 to Governor GIanforte's desk, people! Thanks to everyone who is doing their part to get this very important legislation passed! The MSSA would not have 69 (soon to be 70!) pro RKBA laws under our proverbial belts had it not been for our wonderful supporters who make the calls, send the messages and support our work in financial donations and memberships! THANK YOU!

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 9:31:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Emailed my Senator this morning while I was on the can.

It doesn't have to be perfect, guys. Just get an email/call in.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#43]
I just dropped another message. Takes only a minute.

To look up your senator and representative: https://leg.mt.gov/legislator-lookup/
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 11:22:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks for posting the link. I was looking for that yesterday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just dropped another message. Takes only a minute.

To look up your senator and representative: https://leg.mt.gov/legislator-lookup/

Thanks for posting the link. I was looking for that yesterday.

You're welcome! I figured not everyone had it bookmarked.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#46]
HB 258 passed 2nd reading today! 3rd reading tomorrow, then to Governors desk!
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
HB 258 passed 2nd reading today! 3rd reading tomorrow, then to Governors desk!
View Quote
Yes!

Has there been any info on how Gianforte will act?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:16:37 PM EDT
[#48]
emails fired off to include Governor Gianforte in support of HB258.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Ummmmm...did this bill just get...better?

@Country Were all these amendments what we wanted?

https://leg.mt.gov/bills/2021/AmdPublicWeb/HB0258.001.005.pdf

Link to text as finally amended in the Senate.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:42:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Dear MSSA Friends,
Super good news. HB 258 has been approved by the Senate on Third Reading by the expected vote of 30-20. For anyone who may have been gone on an extended vacation, HB 258 is MSSA's popular bill to prohibit state and local government employees from enforcing any new federal gun control laws, executive orders, rules or regulations.
HB 258 will now go to Governor Gianforte for his signature. He is expected to sign the bill.

I recommend that you send the Governor a message thanking him in advance for signing HB 258. The best way to message the Governor is via:
https://svc.mt.gov/gov/contact/shareopinion

Just FYI, HB 258 has an immediate effective date, so it will be effective as soon as the Governor signs it.

We're still working on HB 436, HB 405, SB 283, and SB 370. Stay tuned for a follow up on those. Meanwhile, the Legislature is about to recess later today for the Easter break. They will be back on Tuesday.

Best wishes,
--
Gary Marbut, President
Montana Shooting Sports Association
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top