Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2017 8:57:21 PM EDT
It was quite the wake up at 12:30am. More noise (weird) and some slight shaking at my place in the Lolo area.

Was in bed last night and at 12:30am heard a gradually increasing deep noise and slight shaking of some of my stuff here. It increased then then was a sudden bang sound followed by a slowing of the noise.  

Since my experience was dominated by noise vs. shaking I thought a large plane had crashed close-by since the upper Bitterroot valley is on a flight path of airliners coming into the Missoula airport.  Got up and looked/checked around and didn't see anything wrong, and realized it was a earthquake.

About 5 min later there was a small aftershock.  Felt nothing after that so I went back to bed.

That was the first earthquake I had experienced when awake (I sleep soundly most of the time) since I lived in Helena in 1990-92, and not surprised it was in the Lincoln/Helena vicinity due the long history of earthquakes in that area.

Tonights's news said that there is a well defined earthquake zone that follows the area from Kalispell down through the Bob and along the Divide all the way to Idaho, and that they detect 5-12 small earthquakes a week along that zone. But the one today was unusual.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Was at Ft Harrison and it was loud & shakey enough wake me up. I though at first the National Guard set off an explosion at the training area then I felt / heard the aftershocks.

Strongest earthquake I've experienced.

https://snowbrains.com/5-8-magnitude-earthquake-rocks-montana-today-strongest-mt-earthquake-nearly-60-years/
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in Missoula.  Slept right through it, never noticed a thing.

The biggest quake I remember is the 1987 Whittier quake (6.1 magnitude :  Los Angeles)  I was on the second floor of a P/C concrete building - you could see a 'ripple' move across the floor.  It was weird.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 11:19:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I definitely felt it down here in Darby. I was sitting at my computer, listening to music, leaned back about as far as the chair allows, and almost ended up on the floor. My dog acted like the apocalypse had kicked off.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 12:19:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Been in earthquakes in socal and mt. Never felt a single one..
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:41:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I was stationed in Hawaii for quite a while, so I knew exactly what was happening, but I was in the restroom and yelled to my wife "earthquake" and she yelled back...

The walls are moving!

That was one of the biggest ones, I have been through while living here, it was interesting to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]
This was my fourth 4.5+ quake. And the worst. The D.C. quake was just a little rumble that swayed the sky scraper I was in in PA a little more than normal. Two in kalispell that were just a few seconds of shaking but heard a rumble before hand like a semi passing.

I'm now east of Missoula and this sounded like a freight train coming at my house 20 or so seconds before, then a loud bang, and shaking for a good minute. I was on a computer chair on rollers and it sent me into the desk and when I tried to walk I had to get on my knees to get to a door frame. My power flickered and I now have a crack in my siding by my sliding glass door to my deck. The first aftershock was worse than any other quake I've felt before. Felt 3 other tiny shocks after that.

I've been scouting hunting spots right where the epicenter was. Gonna head up this weekend because I spotted a small ridge last year that looks like it was created by quake activity and see if it moved any.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Was about 20 miles from epicenter in my RV. Noted shaking, bang, etc, went back to sleep. Not much to hurt in an RV, and not sure anything moved as it was. I did check the jacks in the morning though. I have been in a lot of quakes, several of them above 5+ (Loma Prieta in nocal, and Northridge in socal off the top). How about 2005 one near Dillon.. :D  That area has had several in the last year if I remember right.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 9:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I was up Ninemile west of Missoula for the 1959 quake.  I slept through it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I experienced the 6.9 Challis/Borah Peak earfquake in Wisdom. We had just spent the night in my camper in front of the Antler Saloon and my old lady had walked across the road to get coffee at the Cafe. 

I was sitting in the doorway tying my boots and looked up just in time to see the seismic waves coming across the Big Hole valley from the divide. I actually saw it before I felt it. It was pretty intense and everybody started pouring out of all the buildings in Wisdom. The Forest Monkeys all came running outta their office emitting squeals and screams. 

My old lady was half way back to the camper with 2 large cups of hot coffee and when it hit - it startled her so badly that she squeezed the coffee cups hard enough the lids popped off and she got hot coffee all over her hands. I didn't know that sweet little lady knew those kinds of words.   

Kilt 2 little kids in Challis when a building facade fell on them as they walked to school. 

1983 Borah Peak earthquake
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 2:16:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Was in GTF staying at my friends place while on vacation.  Racked out in his basement, woke me from a dead sleep. Now I live on the wet side of WA, (I know) the gig keeps me out here.  Anyway feel them from time to time out here. SO I sat up and thought that is odd felt like a quake. Heard my friends shuffling about upstairs so I looked at my phone and pulled up the USGS site.  Nothing had recorded yet.  Shut the phone off and then the first aftershock hit.  Yup we are having an earthquake.  The USGS had it recorded by then.  Buddy got his folks settled and I crashed back out.  In the morning they asked if I brought that with me

Sir James...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top