Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2017 1:22:53 AM EDT
like the title says,I will be heading down to Helena for the 4th and am looking for a good places to eat lunch and dinner. Nothing fancy just something other than chain restaurants. Open to just about anything for lunch and a good steak for dinner.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The Brewhouse is good for lunch. They make a great prime rib sandwich. You could also check out the Windbag. It's a bar with typical bar type food. For a steak diner I would go to the Silver Star.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I could do the steak, however I am living in my camper at the moment :D 

You will pay for it, but Silver Star is probably the best in town that I know of.  Now, for something different there Bad Betty's BBQ :D

For Lunches, you can't throw a rock without hitting brew house/pub in this town. Most have decent food to great food. I like Bert and Ernie's downtown, Overland Express, and Lewis Clark Brewery there by Carroll.

ETA: Forgot one place that I do like to go, Montana City Grill. Pretty good Prime Rib if you like that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a pizza shop downtown next to a brewery. Can't think of the name but it was really good..
View Quote
The Bridge Pizza. Also, Bullmans is good wood fired Pizza as well.

Helena lacks the food of Missoula or Bozeman. That said, for lunch I would suggest; la Taqueria, Cafe Zydeco, Murry's, Benny's, or I hear good things about the newly opened food truck Saigon Ally.

For the best dinners in town ($$$) hit On Broadway, Lucca's, or Silverstar.  Downstairs of the Brewhouse has decent tapas. Bad Betty's BBQ is pretty good. There are plenty of bars that serve typical bar food or chain restaurants. If in a hurry the Copperline bus on Custer Ave has decent pasties.

For breakfast most would probably suggest No Sweat (small and slow but quite good) or Steve's Cafe.  I cook a pretty mean breakfast so I'm not up on this as much.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Helena has LONG, LONG, LONG suffered as the worst foodie city in Montana.

If you can cook a better than good meal, and have business acumen, you have an opportunity in Helena.

That said, the Brewhouse is one of the better places to eat for a casual sitdown dinner. There's a reason that the wait for a table at the Brewhouse is about an hour every GD night after 6.

For barfood, someone help me, but there is a bar that does fried chicken (&only beer, just north of CC) that is pretty good as well. Also there is / was an Italian restaurant close to the two spired church that was edible as well.

Great Falls has better food than Helena, and that's not saying much.  FFS, Dillon has better food than Helena.

ETA: What happened to Howard's Pizza in Helena? They used to be generally across from Walmart. They are also in GF.

Howards is the 2nd best pizza in MT, preceded by Angela's Pizza in Kalispell and followed by Mooses saloon in Kalispell and Bullmans in their various locations.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you can cook a better than good meal, and have business acumen, you have an opportunity in Helena.

That said, the Brewhouse is one of the better places to eat for a casual sitdown dinner. There's a reason that the wait for a table at the Brewhouse is about an hour every GD night after 6.

For barfood, someone help me, but there is a bar that does fried chicken (&only beer, just north of CC) that is pretty good as well. Also there is / was an Italian restaurant close to the two spired church that was edible as well.

Great Falls has better food than Helena, and that's not saying much.  FFS, Dillon has better food than Helena.

ETA: What happened to Howard's Pizza in Helena? They used to be generally across from Walmart. They are also in GF.

Howards is the 2nd best pizza in MT, preceded by Angela's Pizza in Kalispell and followed by Mooses saloon in Kalispell and Bullmans in their various locations.
View Quote
Best fried chicken town is the Suds Hut.  Bob's Valley Market out on MT/Lincoln RD has a pretty good fried chicken deli as well if you want it to go.

Best Italian in town is Lucca's.  They're on the walking mall next to the Big Dipper ice cream.

I think Howard's Pizza is still around. Can't remember where as I don't ever get there.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 12:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Best fried chicken town is the Suds Hut.  Bob's Valley Market out on MT/Lincoln RD has a pretty good fried chicken deli as well if you want it to go.

Best Italian in town is Lucca's.  They're on the walking mall next to the Big Dipper ice cream.

I think Howard's Pizza is still around. Can't remember where as I don't ever get there.
View Quote
Yes, those were the two names I was looking for.

BTW I'll be in Helena this evening / tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up at the Suds hut.  
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, those were the two names I was looking for.

BTW I'll be in Helena this evening / tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up at the Suds hut.  
View Quote
If I could I would. On hospital duty as my dad had a stroke a few days ago.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is so true.  I look forward to going up to Great Falls for work just so I can eat lunch at the City Bar.

Helena is a restaurant desert.

The one place that's pretty good that hasn't been mentioned yet is Karmadillos in Reeder's Alley.  It's good New Mexico-style Mexican food.  They have the green chile just right.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That said, for lunch I would suggest; la Taqueria, Cafe Zydeco, Murry's, Benny's, or I hear good things about the newly opened food truck Saigon Ally.
View Quote
Just tried Cafe Zydeco at lunch today and as someone who travels to New Orleans monthly, it's pretty authentic.

Recommended.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just tried Cafe Zydeco at lunch today and as someone who travels to New Orleans monthly, it's pretty authentic.

Recommended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That said, for lunch I would suggest; la Taqueria, Cafe Zydeco, Murry's, Benny's, or I hear good things about the newly opened food truck Saigon Ally.

Recommended.
Late to the party.  The Bozeman location of Cafe Zydeco has more on the menu as it is where they started.  I try to stop by anytime I am back in town.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top