Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2016 8:56:35 PM EDT
So this is somewhat of a crosspost from GD but VT is one of the free-er states the fiancee' and I can agree on possibly exploring moving to.

As I understand, the populace is sort of liberal but they leave people alone for the most part.

So what else should I know? My soon to be wife and I are in our early 30s, no kids, no plans on any, and currently live in a western Chicago suburb.  Being somewhat close to a major city would be nice.  I have a heavy customer service/call center background, and she has an art degree and has worked as an image editor.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Deej86:
So this is somewhat of a crosspost from GD but VT is one of the free-er states the fiancee' and I can agree on possibly exploring moving to.

As I understand, the populace is sort of liberal but they leave people alone for the most part.

So what else should I know? My soon to be wife and I are in our early 30s, no kids, no plans on any, and currently live in a western Chicago suburb.  Being somewhat close to a major city would be nice.  I have a heavy customer service/call center background, and she has an art degree and has worked as an image editor.

Thanks everyone.
View Quote

A) No such thing as a "major city".  Burlington is as close as it gets with its 40,000 people.  Vermont has less than 600,000 people in the whole state

B) Employment kind of sucks in Vermont because with a lack of people come a lack of jobs.

C) Housing is expensive, you'll probably need to work in the Burlington area so I'd recommend Franklin County to the North along the border with Canada since it'll get you away from all the idiot Bernie supporters and the build up inside Burlington itself

There are no guns laws to speak of really just no loaded long guns in your car, hunting law.  No concealed carry permits, Constitutional Carry since the 1700's.  No magazine restrictions.  All NFA is allowed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Taxes are some of the highest you will find. When it comes to taxation and spending, as a state, Vermont is extremely liberal. As for gun laws, you would be hard pressed to find any better.

If you do call center work, which can basically be done from anywhere, you would probably do best to be located in a more tax friendly state than Vermont.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
VT is where the East Coast likes to ski. Lake Champlain, where Bernie bought a house, is boating heaven. For some reason, there is not a lot of Lyme/ticks, so hiking. Constitutional carry=no permits, makes getting non resident CCW elsewhere interesting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:47:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Taxed to death.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are an outdoors type of person there is quite a bit to do.  Several lakes for boating and fishing, woods galore for hunting, hiking, and atv riding.  Vermont also has several nice ski slopes.  Real estate pricing is not terrible is you are willing to live away from the bigger cities (I just bought 88 acres for $80,000).  Gun laws are great although like everywhere else the liberals are trying to change that.  Crime is low, drug use is on the rise, and we have our share of welfare turds.  As others have stated the taxes are on the high side.  That being said, I like it here.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wesmerc:
Taxed to death.
View Quote

This. It's a beautiful state and I love it  here, but I'm about a month away from leaving because as a mere mortal I'd like to be able to afford some land AND the property taxes. Property values are sky high and so are the taxes, so Vermont can fund HealthConnect and 1-to-1 chromebooks and stuff for all the kids in school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top