Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2016 6:30:12 PM EDT
For those 18, 19, and 20 years old.

It is amazing that this Universal Background Check idea has been around since 2013, and it is still not widely known that it results in a de-facto handgun ban for those aged 18-20 years old.

Below are a couple of links that explain why;

http://www.examiner.com/article/universal-background-checks-would-strip-18-20-year-olds-of-handgun-rights

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/letters/2016/02/04/reject-universal-background-checks/1864344

NOTE: The only exception is handgun sales between family members (no willing or able family members in Maine - you are "out of luck")

Sun Journal Letter to the Editor (02/04/16);

There is “more than meets the eye” with the upcoming universal background check referendum. The public is not being told that passage would result in a de-facto ban on handgun ownership for Maine residents aged 18 to 20. Here is why:

The federal Gun Control Act of 1968 requires that 18- to 20-year-olds buy handguns privately. Gun dealers are barred by that law from transferring a handgun to anyone under the age of 21.

The NRA mounted a legal challenge to that, claiming that the 18-20-year-olds should be able to buy a handgun from a gun dealer. However, in 2012, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit ruled against the NRA since 18- to 20-year-olds had the option to buy handguns through private sales.

However, if voters pass the referendum, private gun sales will become much more difficult to do legally, effectively shutting the door on handgun purchases by those people who are 18 to 20 years old.

The referendum is an insidious and deceptive way to take away the rights of young people in that age group. They deserve to have their civil rights protected, not stripped away in an underhanded fashion.

I now understand why the issue of universal background checks was rejected at the national level in 2013 and why Maine voters should reject it now in 2016.

Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a good point Bern.  This piece of shit proposed Bloomberg law is full of "unintended" consequences that the Bloomberg group would like to keep quite from the general public.  They will push this as a ban on private "sales" but it really is also a ban on and transfer, including temporary ones.  They define transfer as furbishing or providing.  Which means that if I give someone access to my gun while I am not present, I have violated the law.

The best example of this is if I am driving with a buddy and we are going from one place to another to bird hunt.  I stop into a gas station to use the bathroom and I leave my shotgun on the seat in my car, like we all do, and my friend stays in the car.  I have just violated the law.

There are lots of examples of examples of temporary transfers that we do all the time now.  But will make us criminals once this law passes.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I wanted to reply to this to keep it on the top because you're absolutely right..
It's been a proven tactic to lie, omit, polish the chrome and hide the turds of lib agenda for years.
There's some "print & post" fliers a few threads down..
Print a dozen or so and post em in your local stores or wherever you can..
We need a major turnout of gun rights people this fall...  BIGTIME
The more of these liberal cocksuckers that move in here the tougher it gets..
REMEMBER... there's 4-5 counties than can out vote the rest of the state.... population wise..
Don't preach to us here on arfcom... We're the choir... Got on the fence sitters, coffee shop gang, trappers etc... we supported them in the bear baiting issue so dig em out...
I can just have horrors of bloomy getting his fucking way on this..
Cost the bastard money!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
FN64GR,

Believe me - the "word" on this IS getting out to all the right people.

Why do you think there was no big press conference by the proponents of this when they got certification for this referendum by the Secretary of State?

BECAUSE THEY COULD NOT GET ANYONE TO SHOW UP!

This handgun ban is a real "show-stopper" for the UBC referendum because no top opinion leader is going to want to be seen as taking away basic rights when all this was supposed to be was a simple check on gun buyers - "no big deal".

THE HANDGUN BAN IS A BIG DEAL!!!

This is classic "over-reach" by the proponents of this UBC referendum - but that is the great thing about this - unlike the legislative process, they are STUCK with what the people agreed to when they signed the petition.

THEY MADE THEIR "BED" - AND WE ARE GOING TO MAKE THEM SLEEP IN IT.

Just keep spreading the word on this (and all the other flaws).  By the time Bloomberg launches his media blitz everyone will know the REAL DEAL on this.

Keep fighting and don't get complacent because it does not appear the other side is doing anything - that is their strategy - keep quiet until the last couple of months and hope that people do not understand what they are voting for.

We can not rest and must continue the MASSIVE education effort on this - every day until November.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Below is another link (more recent) that describes the Handgun Ban for 18-20 year olds.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/11/05/gun-bans-for-persons-under-21-a-hidden-problem-in-everytowns-universal-background-checks/

David Kopel is Research Director, Independence Institute, Denver; Associate Policy Analyst, Cato Institute, D.C; and Adjunct professor, Denver University, Sturm College of Law.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Below are several other articles that discuss handgun ownership / transfers for 18-20 year olds.

Readers should be aware that Maine will issue a concealed handgun permit to qualified individuals 18 years and older.

Readers should be aware that Maine residents 18 and older are allowed to own handguns.

The minimum age for handgun ownership is 21 years old in the following states; CT, HI, IL, MD, MA, NJ, NY, DC, and 19 years old in NM.

The bottom line is that the 2016 Universal Background Check referendum would violate both the handgun ownership and concealed carry Maine age of 18 and older.

This is what happened (18-20 handgun ban) deceptively in Washington State and Oregon when they implemented UBC (via referendum, and legislatively, respectively).

=================================================================================

http://archive.myfreedomfoundation.com/blog/liberty-live/detail/can-individuals-between-18-and-20-purchase-and-own-handguns.html  (11/21/2013)
http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/18_year_olds_can_buy_handguns/  (02/05/2013)
http://volokh.com/2010/05/24/how-would-an-18-to-20-year-old-go-about-buying-a-handgun/  (05/24/1010)
http://www.firearmlicense.org/is-it-legal-in-washington-state-for-an-18-year-old-to-own-a-handgun.php/  (08/21/21010) (NOT ANYMORE!)

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The following Letter to the Editor was "cleared" for publishing by a Maine newspaper, but was never published.

Universal Background Check Referendum would result in a Handgun Ban

Probably the most deceptive and insidious consequence of the upcoming universal background check referendum is the de-facto handgun ban that would be imposed on young people aged 18-20. It is truly remarkable that this is not widely known, especially since this has been in the spotlight since 2013.

In 2008 and 2010, respectively, the Supreme Court in the Heller and McDonald decisions determined that gun ownership is an individual right, and that a handgun in the home is a basic right. In Maine, adults aged 18 and older can own a handgun, and can apply for a concealed carry permit.

The referendum would eliminate most private gun transfers conducted without a gun dealer administered background check. Since Federal law prohibits a gun dealer from transferring a handgun to anyone under 21, those 18-20 could not have a handgun transferred to them, except for a very narrow exception between family members.

The crazy thing is that Maine voters will be considering taking away the handgun rights of 18-20 year olds, without even being aware that they are doing it, and without discussion or debate. The referendum also contravenes state law, and results in the imposition of significant new gun control. When the voters realize all this, the much vaunted “opinion polls” in favor of this proposal are likely to melt away like the Maine spring snow.

If the proponents of the referendum really want to strip away civil rights, go against state law, and impose new gun control, they should at least be held accountable to describe their proposal accurately.

Fortunately, fair-minded Mainers will have the last word on this, and will be able to stop this civil rights and gun control over-reach, by voting no on the referendum.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess my biggest fear is, that in this election, Clinton and Sanders supporters are going to show up in droves. Brainwashed to reality by the promise of free shit.. AND... most of whom support the UBC.

We need every hunter, trapper, fisherman, outdoors enthusiast, camper, hiker, and gun owner from 18 and up, Ft Kent to Kittery, to go cast a vote..

If we lose on this one it will take forever to get it reversed..

Don't make this your children's problem... Get out there!

Link Posted: 3/23/2016 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#8]
FN64GR,

Overall, I sense that the proponents of UBC are "flumoxed" on how to proceed. I think the issue of the handgun ban has totally "blind-sided" them into panic. They did not expect this to come up, many did not even realize this problem was out there, and frankly, many are getting "cold feet" with continuing to support UBC because of this. They also see that any effort to promote UBC is immediately met with substantive opposition points, including further dissemination of the handgun ban point.

I think the handgun ban is the #1 reason to oppose the UBC referendum

You have to realize that there is much more at stake here than just the UBC referendum. The Democrats are in a panic over Hillary Clinton's prospects if she can not put together the "Obama Coalition" that included young voters as a key part. Bernie Sanders has taken all the young voters away during the primary, but Hillary will need them in the general election.

Supporting a UBC referendum that includes a handgun ban for young voters will not endear these young voters to vote for Hillary. They desperately need these young voters for Hillary and are not anxious to risk antagonizing them in any way.

That is why the proponents of UBC are so worried about pushing it, and the handgun ban in particular.

Believe me, the word is getting out on the UBC handgun ban.

There are well over 1,000 page views combined on AR15 and Northeastshooters and I am starting to see commenters reference this as a reason to oppose UBC. There is a published Letter to the Editor on this topic in the Sun Journal. Interestingly, the Kennebec Journal / Morning Sentinel is "sitting" on my Letter to the Editor on this topic that was "cleared" back on March 8th.  I take this as a sign of weakness that they are concerned in letting the public know about this. That tells me we are on the right track.

Fortunately, "you can not stop the signal", and the truth is getting out there.

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Bern:

I've gotten the word out a couple times on Amateur radio.. There's a couple of,Maine centric, nets that I'm involved with. I mentioned the handgun provision several times as I have a grandson who's going to want to buy his first pistol soon. "most" of the folks were in agreement that it was wrong.

Others are pissed about the out of state money buying votes.

Of course there's a contingent of hams that are die hard liberals who will march in lockstep with whatever the daily narrative happens to be.

Overall, I feel, the Amateur community is against it but, the median age there is probably 60ish.

I'll keep stirring the bucket.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#10]
FN64GR,

Thanks for helping spread the word in the HAM radio community.

I've reached out to the motorcycle community and they are opposed to the referendum.

I've visited gun stores in southern Maine and dropped off numerous copies of my one page "STOP BLOOMBERG" summary.

As you would expect, gun stores and customers are opposed, and the word is getting out to that community.

Over time, everyone I come into personal contact with in Southern Maine will get a copy of the one page "STOP BLOOMBERG" summary.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The Bangor Daily News published this Letter to the Editor in opposition to the upcoming background check referendum.

http://bangordailynews.com/2016/04/12/opinion/letters/wednesday-april-13-2016-fund-maine-clean-elections-stop-universal-background-checks/?ref=comments

The letter explains the handgun ban "built-into" the referendum and "calls out" the Everytown for Gun Safety spokesman for deceiving his University of Maine college aged audience on March 23, 2016.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 6:40:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Too bad there hadn't been someone in that audience that could have called him on his bullshit right then and there.. To him, and the anti's, these young folks are nothing more than "useful idiots" and they're preying on their ignorance of facts and naivety.

Thanks for the post Bern..
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]
FN64GR,

Colin Goddard is now "on notice" if he decides to come to Maine and mislead/indoctrinate our college students again.

In fact, with any luck, he will be "persona non grata" at every college and university in the country if he tries to push this universal background check agenda.

Link Posted: 4/14/2016 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
This 04/13/16 Letter to the Editor to the Bangor Daily News has been posted to the Nevadans for State Gun Rights face book page.

https://www.facebook.com/nevadansforstategunrights

As many of you may know, Nevada is facing a similar universal background check referendum as Maine.

This is likely to start hampering Bloomberg's effort to impose his background check agenda nationwide.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Maine Mom's Demand Action is Bloomberg's astro-turf organization in Maine.

On 05/11/16 at 6:50 pm a woman posted this reader post on the Maine Mom's Demand Action facebook page (reader post still up as of 05/12/16 at 9:15pm)

https://www.facebook.com/MomsDemandActionME

Naomi Slade: "As a female gun owner that has used a firearm to defend her life, I am not in favor of this law. Young women between the ages of 18 and 21 would not be able to buy a handgun even though they can obtain a concealed handgun permit. I find that to be very sexist. You all should be ashamed of yourselves".

Comment 1: It is surprising that they have not censored this reader's post by deleting it.
Comment 2: For any readers here who have a facebook account, and are so inclined, give Ms. Slade's comment a "like" thumbs up.

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#16]
NOTE: The 04/13/16 Letter to the Editor was taken down from the Nevadan's for State Gun Rights face book page.

Nevada is pursuing their own strategy for defeating Bloomberg's UBC referendum, and have decided NOT to emphasize the 18-20 handgun ban. We wish them luck, but here in Maine we are actively informing voters of the 18-20 handgun ban that is "built-into" the referendum. The voters deserve to know about this before casting their votes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 5:50:21 AM EDT
[#17]
The "myth" of the 18-20 handgun ban - NOT!

This post is being added because some proponents of the referendum are claiming that the 18-20 handgun ban "built-into" the universal background check referendum is a "myth" being spread by opponents of the referendum. They are claiming that a gun dealer is merely "presiding over" and "doing the background check", and as such, an 18-20 year old is not barred from having a handgun transferred to them. They realize that most Maine voters will not agree to a "back door" gun ban like this.

As you can see from the actual text of the referendum below, the gun dealer must enter (and exit) the handgun through his bound book (gun) inventory and comply with all state and federal laws as if he were selling the handgun directly. Since federal law prohibits the gun dealer from selling or transferring a handgun to anyone under 21, the de-facto handgun ban is imposed on these young people.

Fortunately, this "myth" disinformation attempt has not come up too often, but opponents of the referendum should be aware of this and be prepared to refute it (which can easily be done by going directly to the text of the proposed law).

==========================================

Actual Text of the Relevant Section of Proposed UBC Law / Referendum

Section 3:

Background check conducted by firearm dealer. When both parties to a prospective sale or transfer of a firearm are unlicensed persons, the transferor and transferee shall meet jointly at a firearm dealer and request that the firearm dealer facilitate the sale or transfer. A firearm dealer who agrees to facilitate a sale or transfer under this section shall process the sale or transfer as though selling or transferring the firearm from its own inventory to the transferee, complying with all requirements of federal and state law that would apply if it were making such a sale or transfer, including all background check and record-keeping requirements.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

snip...

complying with all requirements of federal and state law that would apply if it were making such a sale or transfer, including all background check and record-keeping requirements.

View Quote

There it is folks... if this becomes state law then under 21 is verboten.

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#19]
FN64GR,

You are absolutely correct.

Maine voters are voting whether or not to raise the age for handgun ownership to 21, and nullify Maine concealed carry permits for those under 21.

This is very significant new gun control and the voters don't even realize it! (But they will by November if I have any say in all this).

If Maine voters understand all this, only the most rabid gun control proponents will vote for this - and I doubt they represent any where near 50% of the voters.

So the big risk we face is well-meaning, ill-informed, voters that simply do not fully understand what they are voting on, and/or sincerely believe in raising the age to 21.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 9:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
For anyone that is interested, the Maine Secretary of State is accepting public comments regarding wording of the universal background check referendum (and the four other referendum). The public comment period runs from May 13th to June 13th.

The following link provides additional information and instructions for filing a public comment.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/cec/elec/upcoming/publiccomment.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Just a quick reminder that we are in the final five (5) days of the Maine Secretary of State Public comment period related to the upcoming 2016 referendums.

The deadline is June 13th.

This is the last chance to let the Maine SOS know about this 18-20 (i.e. under 21) handgun ban, or any other substantive issue you may have with the referendum.

Any comments must be factual, concise, and relevant (see submission guidelines in earlier post).
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:55:41 PM EDT
[#22]
The Maine Secretary of State has released the final wording of the universal background check referendum ballot question.

"An Act to Require Background Checks for Gun Sales. “Do you want to require background checks prior to the sale or transfer of firearms between individuals not licensed as firearms dealers, with failure to do  so punishable by law, and with some exceptions for family members, hunting, self-defense, lawful competitions, and shooting range activity?”"

http://stateandcapitol.bangordailynews.com/2016/06/23/maine-secretary-of-state-revises-wording-of-all-five-november-ballot-questions/

There is NO mention of the 18-20 (i.e. under 21) handgun ban, hence, the voter education campaign continues. Although not included in the final wording, I am confident that the voters will be aware of this consequence of the referendum by November.

We have come a long way since January when literally no one in Maine had any idea that this ban was included in the referendum. There are four (4) more months to get the word out on this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#23]
As we go into the 2016 Maine November elections, we must hold the proponents of the Universal (Gun) Background Check referendum accountable.

Here are some "open" questions for the referendum proponents;

1. Did you know about the 18-20 (i.e. under 21) handgun ban that is "built-into" the referendum?
2. Why was this handgun ban deceptively included in your referendum?
3. What is the justification for this hand gun ban?
4. When will you "come clean" about this, and address these questions?

In my opinion, this referendum and it's proponents can not be trusted.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Nevada is facing the same Bloomberg universal background check referendum as Maine.

Until today, they have resisted telling Nevadans about the handgun ban - but not any longer.

===================================================================

Your Questions about Ballot Question 1: Transfers Under 21?

Patriots,

Politicians like Bloomberg intentionally design legislation like Question 1 to be confusing. I want to provide you answers to some of your questions before we vote down the background check initiative in November.

Question of the Day:

Does this initiative impact an 18 to 20-year-old person transferring a handgun, since it’s legal in Nevada for an 18 to 20-year-old to own and possess a handgun?

Answer:

Yes, federal law prohibits federal firearms dealers from transferring a handgun to anyone under 21 years old. Since all gun sales and transfers would have to go through a federal firearms dealer, these young adults will have a de-facto handgun ban imposed on them. If the owner is under 21, the federal firearms dealer cannot give the handgun back to the owner.

Join us in the fight to protect our freedom! Donate $25 today, and stand up against bullies like Bloomberg who want to threaten our civil liberties.

If you have any other questions about Question 1 and our efforts to fight it, email me at [email protected]. I’ll be happy to answer them.

For Freedom,

Don Turner, President
Nevadans for State Gun Rights
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Bump.

To keep Maine voters focused on this.

November will be here soon.

Vote NO on Question 3 (Background Check Referendum)
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 11:13:08 AM EDT
[#26]
From Gun Owners of Maine -- regarding the handgun ban "built-into" Bloomberg's background check referendum.

https://www.facebook.com/gunownersofmaine/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE&fref=nf

Vote NO on Question 3.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Jeff Zimba talks about the impact to Law Enforcement of the young adult handgun ban.

http://www.themainewire.com/2016/09/law-enforcement-shortage-predicted-question-3/
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey guys I am in Nevada for their Question 1 which is the same as Question 3 in Maine. I will be in Maine for 5 days (23rd -28th) in October. I would like to connect with a few of you if possible. I am flying into Portland and headed North. I lived in Maine for a few years, graduated from high school in Belfast and started college in Lewiston so I know Maine. My folks and most of my family still live there. I am going to be working with SAM and visiting with as many folks as I can.

Chime in and let me know. I will try an plan parts of my trip to catch up with a few folks.

I am going to start a fresh thread, but I wanted to post in here to.

- Tim Knight
Founder of the Colorado recalls
NRA Board Member
Grassroots traveling fool
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Jeff W. Zimba is the author of “The Evolution of the Black Rifle.” A Master Registered Maine Guide specializing in veterans’ outreach programs, Zimba is an award winning author with several hundred published articles and videos to his credit.

He just had this opinion piece published in The Maine Wire. It highlights the handgun ban "built-into" the Background Check referendum.

http://www.themainewire.com/2016/11/question-3-theft-rights/

Vote NO on Question 3.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top