Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 1:19:52 PM EDT
Traveling through New Jersey. I will not be stopping for any reason. I will have my firearm locked and secured in the back compartment of the vehicle with ammunition locked and secured separately. I will have a copy of the FOPA printed and with me, which I know will cover the firearm itself.

My question is in regards to the defensive ammunition. There seems to be so many varying opinions and interpretations of NJ laws about this.

Can you be in possession of a box of locked up, secured, stored separately hollow points while traveling through New Jersey to somewhere else?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Being in possession of hollow points isn't a problem unless you are committing a crime.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Can you be in possession of a box of locked up, secured, stored separately hollow points while traveling through New Jersey to somewhere else?
View Quote

Federal safe passage laws (FOPA - 18 USC 926A) does not provide protection from state laws regulating possession of ammunition.  So you have to be in compliance with the exemptions spelled out in NJ statutes in order to possess hollow-point ammunition.  Meaning - you must be travelling directly to an authorized place for hunting or target shooting, or transporting them from a place of purchase to your residence.

Easier to simply get some non-HP defensive rounds (Federal EFMJ, Hornady Critical Defense, etc.).  If you insist on transporting your own HP ammo, find a public range somewhere along your destination, beyond NJ, and plan on going there.  Once beyond the border of NJ, you are of course free to change your mind.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easier to simply get some non-HP defensive rounds (Federal EFMJ, Hornady Critical Defense, etc.).  If you insist on transporting your own HP ammo, find a public range somewhere along your destination, beyond NJ, and plan on going there.  Once beyond the border of NJ, you are of course free to change your mind.
View Quote
Thanks for the detailed response. So Critical Defense (what about Critical Duty?) are considered non-HP per New Jersey?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Being in possession of hollow points isn't a problem unless you are committing a crime.
View Quote
According to who?  2C:39-3f is a stand-alone statute.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the detailed response. So Critical Defense (what about Critical Duty?) are considered non-HP per New Jersey?
View Quote
Critical Defense and Critical Duty are essentially the same projectile design (that is, their hollow cavity is filled with a polymer).  It is my understanding that these are not considered hollow-nosed bullets by the NJSP (Ballistics Unit).
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 4:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NJSP Letter
View Quote
Nothing about that letter looks official enough to trust.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nothing about that letter looks official enough to trust.
View Quote
Call the NJSP Ballistic Unit directly, and ask:  (609) 584-5051 ext 5815
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top