Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:47:51 AM EDT
Who's had it or considered it?  Thinking of having a consultation but not sure about the possible effects on my shooting, and what if it goes wrong.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Just remember you can't have more than 4.5x
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
This is primarily for work, just so that I can actually see what the reactor is doing instead of guessing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is primarily for work, just so that I can actually see what the reactor is doing instead of guessing.

Guessing has worked so far, are they getting more strict?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:25:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Who's had it or considered it?  Thinking of having a consultation but not sure about the possible effects on my shooting, and what if it goes wrong.

A good friend of mine just had it done. She happened to bump into one of the top eye surgeons on a flight and she asked him. His advice was avoid the ones that advertise like ultra laze and spend come money on a decent one. She had hers done in Harley street for about £2,000. Her vision was improved pretty much straight away and within a couple of days she was 100%. I think the end result was better than 20/20. I'll get the info for the place she went to if you like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#5]
What Rixy said, if you're going to get it done; then make sure it's done by the best surgeon available - a sister of a friend of mine had it done and they screwed it up. She was basically left with her eyes worse than when she started; they said they could try again, but if it didn't work then she would be practically blind.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't personally.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it the subs that have buggered your eyes ?
I knew a lad years ago that was a submariner, and his eyes were knackered at a young age. If i remember rightly, he also had some form of treatment for jaundice ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a good friend who was instrumental in setting up some of the procedures at St Thomas's...will give you his number.....but from previous conversations with him.....they have got it right now
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Think I'll stick with glasses.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Andy.

Who said that?.......

It's a real pisser. My near sight has deteriorated over the past 4-5 years and I need specs for reading, pc and pistol shooting (well I don't need them for the latter, but the foresight is sharper with them). Distance beyond a  metre or so is still fine, but close up/fine work now, got to go glazed...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Andy.

Who said that?.......

It's a real pisser. My near sight has deteriorated over the past 4-5 years and I need specs for reading, pc and pistol shooting (well I don't need them for the latter, but the foresight is sharper with them). Distance beyond a  metre or so is still fine, but close up/fine work now, got to go glazed...

Eye sight deteriates with age just like every thing else. Apparently there's no guarantee a second op won't be needed a few years later.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife had laser eye surgery 7 years ago. Complete success - just asked her opinion "absolutely brilliant - get it done!"
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Have you considered contact lenses? Soft lenses are really easy to get on with, and daily disposables are quite cheap now. I pay £5 per eye per month.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't wear contacts on a submarine, if and when required to fight a fire they melt on your eyeballs.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:56:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Really? Never thought of that.

Back to your original question, both my mum and sister have had laser eye surgery and have been fine since. My mum still wears glasses for some things, but she is 71 so I suppose that's to be expected.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can't wear contacts on a submarine, if and when required to fight a fire they melt on your eyeballs.

Dont they so a solid glass type contact lens ?

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I knew a lad years ago that was a submariner, and his eyes were knackered at a young age. If i remember rightly, he also had some form of treatment for jaundice ?

It's not so much the sub itself, as all those bored and lonely moments without wimminz
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not so much the sub itself, as all those bored and lonely moments without wimminz

PMSL.

Andy.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

you assume he likes wimminz - remember its the Navy.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Harley st surgeon told my wife you should have a perscription that has not changed for at least three years before he would consider it.
go with the best surgeon poss
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I have had laser treatment to my right eye only about 20 years ago, it worked for me although I still have to wear glasses.
I was long-sighted with severe astigmatism in my right eye, without a corrective lens I couldn’t read the first line on the test chart, the best corrective prescription got me down to a fuzzy fourth line on the chart. A bit like looking through the bottom of an empty pint glass, and the lens was just as thick and heavy.  The laser was one of only two in the country at the time capable of dealing with long-sight and the technique was experimental.  The surgeon said because of defects to lens in my eye the best that could be achieved was that any corrective prescription would be simpler.  The procedure involved using the laser to cut a rugby ball shaped scoop out of the cornea.  The result was a slight improvement in vision, the prescription lens is thinner & lighter and I can have bi-focals (not possible before). The thing is I am now slightly short sighted in my right eye, long sighted in my left eye.  But I still can’t shoot properly using my right-eye, (have had to adapt and shoot left-handed) and a curse on all those perverts who set weak shoulder stages.  It's funny sometimes when I do try shooting weak shoulder, the RO's gets all excited, shouting "weak shoulder" as I put the gun to my right shoulder.  I am thinking, didn't you just watch me shooting from the left on the strong shoulder stages.

None of that nonsense in CSR I am pleased to note.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top