Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 10:48:34 AM EDT
need advise please.
i'm off to the states at the end of the month, does anyone know of the legalities or illigalities of bringing back a flat top upper receiver only. No barrel or bolt group. I have an open slot for the receiver on my ticket. I believe uppers are not controlled bt FFL's over there but obviously are controlled over here.

cheers
Roger
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I believe uppers are not controlled bt FFL's over there but obviously are controlled over here.

cheers
Roger

could someone please explain why an upper is a controlled item? Its not a pressure bearing component (I thought that was the definition of a controlled item).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Is there an official list of AR parts we can and cannot bring in by post or person ?

Could i get a trigger kit in the post or maybe a lower ?

Steve
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is there an official list of AR parts we can and cannot bring in by post or person ?

Steve

Technically the lower is a trigger housing so not controlled - but try getting one! In the US the lower is controlled so you'd need an export licence anyway
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#6]
IM's are the way ahead please!

You don't want the new sherief locking threads!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Steve

Technically the lower is a trigger housing so not controlled - but try getting one! In the US the lower is controlled so you'd need an export licence anyway

Roger, et al,

This is a common misconception - 'only pressure bearing parts are controlled' - WRONG

Gun parts are all controlled to some degree, it doesn't have to be an item or 'slot' on your FAC to be a controlled part. Take shot gun cartridges for example, they are controlled but do not get recorded on a licence or by the dealer, it is the same with some gun parts and tighter controls on others. Trigger parts are controlled, as are receivers, bolts, firing pins and most other AR parts with the notable exception of small common parts such as springs, pins and screws (trigger/hammer springs are a bit of a grey area). They do not have to be pressure bearing parts either.

All gun parts are controlled as far as import and export are concerned especially if they can be classed as military parts or parts of military weapons. If you are going to buy some in the States and bring them in you better find out if you are allowed to;
a) buy them,
b) have possession of them
c) take them into an airport and try to put them on a plane (and remember each airline can make up their own extra rules)
d) try and export them (the same as c effectively)
e) import them into the destination country (in this case the UK, I guess).

Talk to the DTI and ask for their firearms importation dept (yes, they do have a specific dept for this) and speak to the airline before you buy anything. And it might be an idea to talk to the BATF office in the State you're going to - what is OK for a resident might not be so for a non-immigrant alien.

As far as posting goes the rules are almost the same. If you post them back then you are the exporter and must make the declaration and get any relevant paperwork sorted. If you are ordering from the UK then it is up to the exporter to get the relevant paperwork from the State Dept, you just have to fulfil any import requirements including firearms licencing at this end, as you are the importer.

Do this wrong and the nearest you'll ever get to a firearm again is ar15.com. Make the calls now and get everything straight before you try and inadvertantly fall foul of the law.

Prisoner 556, Matt
Cell 223,  AR Wing
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I phoned BASC about this earlier in the week as I am after a lower possibly from the US.

Now I am sure the chap I spoke to knows nothing about AR's compared to some of the people on here, but he said that it was ok to import things to do with firearms as long as they are not pressure bearing.

Is he wrong?

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top