Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:30:26 AM EDT
What are the legal methods to load a centerfire rifle in the UK?  My understanding is that while bolt actions are acceptable, semi-autos are not.

Would it be legal to utilize another gas system to cycle the action?

For example, take a UK legal AR.  Design a dual wall free float tube that can serve as a pressure vessel.  Add a trigger valve as part of a vertical grip with a safety interlock tied to the normal trigger.  The outlet of the pressure vessel would be the carrier key.  Port pressure of an AR is some 15 kpsi, I sure the pressure is much less at the carrier.  A charged pressure vessel should be sufficient for several mags.

The firing sequence would be something like:
Charge the pressure vessel and rifle.  Fire a shot.  Release the normal trigger. Squeeze the trigger on the foregrip to charge the rifle.  Fire again.

Technically, the rifle would not be a semi-suto because another physical action has to be accomplished to charge the rifle.  Your free-float tube might be a little larger in diameter and a little heavier because of the dual function.

With the machinist types and air gun shooters in the UK, I think someone could develop a system like this.

Just an idea

SRM

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Semi-Auto .22LR's are fine over here........

Quite a few of the blokes on here have V22's and the like.....

However, I prefer my 10/22 for bunny bashing.

Edit: Never read thread properly, apologies!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:51:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Would not float...the law is pretty clear about prohibiting any other charging system but a manual, bolt loading system to 'charge' the fullbore, centrefire 'rifled barrel' weapon.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What do you guys think/rate the DPMS-SCG carbine in .22?
www.southern-gun.co.uk/displayproducts.php?catid=1&PHPSESSID=de10b2df509201dbcad5e7696762d1df

www.southern-gun.co.uk/itemimages/105l.jpg

Don't f**king start that one again
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.southern-gun.co.uk/displayproducts.php?catid=1&PHPSESSID=de10b2df509201dbcad5e7696762d1df

2nd only to an M261…

Not as good as my Ceiner
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I can think of better ways to blow a grand

Why not spend say 300 on a 10/22 and the remaining 7 on tricking it up and special brew

At least then when it out shoots fat Bobs expensive mock up you'll be too pissed to care

Believe me I've been there

Don't waste your money
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

2nd only to an M261…

Not as good as my Ceiner

OK then…

No1: M261
No2: Ciener (when the mags not playing silly buggers)
No3: DPMS

and a mention in despatches for the V22 'look-a-like'

V22, and the 1st 2 letters/digits in V22 are..............
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:31:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Would not float...the law is pretty clear about prohibiting any other charging system but a manual, bolt loading system to 'charge' the fullbore, centrefire 'rifled barrel' weapon.

Bummer......Well, they are experts at their jobs. Pity.

You are all welcome to shoot whatever I have if you make it over here.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What are the legal methods to load a centerfire rifle in the UK?  My understanding is that while bolt actions are acceptable, semi-autos are not.

For example, take a UK legal AR.  Design a dual wall free float tube that can serve as a pressure vessel.  Add a trigger valve as part of a vertical grip with a safety interlock tied to the normal trigger.  The outlet of the pressure vessel would be the carrier key.  Port pressure of an AR is some 15 kpsi, I sure the pressure is much less at the carrier.  A charged pressure vessel should be sufficient for several mags.

Charge the pressure vessel and rifle.  Fire a shot.  Release the normal trigger. Squeeze the trigger on the foregrip to charge the rifle.  Fire again.

Technically, the rifle would not be a semi-suto because another physical action has to be accomplished to charge the rifle.  Your free-float tube might be a little larger in diameter and a little heavier because of the dual function.

With the machinist types and air gun shooters in the UK, I think someone could develop a system like this.

Just an idea

SRM

SRM,

One of gunsmiths and AR producers here in the UK was working on exactly that principle, biased more towards the unloading action being the 'semi-auto' option.
Not sure what happened to it, but the BATF equivalent (The Home Office) have several ambiguous words inplace to enable them to curtail any such project if they want to.
They use phases like 'should not be readily convertable to semi or fully automatic fire'
A statement like that you can only fight in court, and shooters here just don't have the numbers or money to fight such  a court case.
In addition the National governing bodies here in the UK are very detatched from any 'overt' political action unlike your USA NRA. They tend to fight in a 'covert' holding stance to keep any more restrictions being imposed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just an idea

SRM

SRM,

One of gunsmiths and AR producers here in the UK was working on exactly that principle, biased more towards the unloading action being the 'semi-auto' option.
Not sure what happened to it, but the BATF equivalent (The Home Office) have several ambiguous words inplace to enable them to curtail any such project if they want to.
They use phases like 'should not be readily convertable to semi or fully automatic fire'
A statement like that you can only fight in court, and shooters here just don't have the numbers or money to fight such  a court case.
In addition the National governing bodies here in the UK are very detatched from any 'overt' political action unlike your USA NRA. They tend to fight in a 'covert' holding stance to keep any more restrictions being imposed.

Well put, hence my wording...anything that is a centrefire, fullbore, rifled barrel weapon can only use a specific manual charging action system...the .gov used very specific wording in the law to curtail any experimentation/workarounds..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top