Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2006 2:02:12 AM EDT
Next question - Acogs look really nice, but the price even 2nd hand is a bit steep. Could anyone recommend a more modest  fairly small fixed magnification scope (around 4x)  thats readily available in the UK ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#1]
You get what you pay for!

Don't get a cheap scope, save up and buy once!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:10:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A SIMMONS 1.5-5 X 20 is small, not too pricey and works well..

www.nsra.co.uk/Shop/Shop_html/Telescope-sights.htm

There are better optics, but I like em. I've got two of these, one on my .357 Marlin, the other on my LA30.

The last one cost me only £45 brand new in box off flebay
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:16:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You get what you pay for!

Don't get a cheap scope, save up and buy once!

Save up for that Acog, They are unbelievable.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Where can you get them from in this country?

Or more likly who will export them to us?

Matt
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Matt

Ask those that have them (by IM) .... Streetfighter, ACR26 and Scope Eye spring to mind...

I'm looking for something with a little more magnification.....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got three, they are worth every penny

I tried cheap alternatives, but, believe me Acogs are excellent

If you are anywhere near Sennybridge this Saturday let me know and you can try mine on X range

Save the money you won't regret it

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:46:36 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are pissing me off. Brecon on my doorstep but my back condition preventing me from shooting right now.....(roll on April, latest date for opp)

I hope you guys have a great time Pep...it's a cracking range

I've not done any practical comp shooting and I have a very very cheap chinese knock off, of a original colt handle mounted scope. X4

@50 I can play join the dots and out to 300m I can hit pretty much anything.

For competition stuff you may require a small mortgage for a tidy scope but realy do you need to spend a fortune.

We'd all love to have a gucci scope but how much difference does it make....I'm sure the pro/loaded guys will advocate spending more on a scope than the rifle but I'm not in that position and I still get reasonable results with my happy shopper scope.

just my 2cents

Taffy the cheapskate
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got three, they are worth every penny

I tried cheap alternatives, but, believe me Acogs are excellent

If you are anywhere near Sennybridge this Saturday let me know and you can try mine on X range

Save the money you won't regret it

Pep if you see an old guy there wearing a flat cap and using a small ladder to get into the pits...say Hi from Kieran/me (Pickwick Gun club)

He'll give you a play of his gear....He'll normaly have with him an old SMLE or a K98 with optional obscure rifles to boot.

Cheers

Taffy
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm sure the pro/loaded guys will advocate spending more on a scope than the rifle but I'm not in that position and I still get reasonable results with my happy shopper scope.

just my 2cents

Taffy the cheapskate

I've got a cheapie Tasco on my practical/service rifle. The thinking was it would do for a while before I got a 'proper' scope. Well, it's been quite a while and no need to change it yet...

(But I have got an ACOG though.)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't cheap out on optics, you'll never be happy and you'll just winding up spending money twice.

These are not cheap but I think it is the best thing going for military grade optics:
Look at the Specter DR:

elcan.phpinternet.com/www/SPECTER_0_0_Index.htm

I got to play with one at the SHOT Show last month and was so impressed I put a deposit down on the spot.  They are going to be in very limited production until August but it essentially gives you an ACOG and an Aimpoint in one weapons sight with better glass and without the quirky plastic tube that tends to break on the ACOGS.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
My alternative to the Simmons was the IOR 1.1-4x26 with illuminated CQB reticule which works out at around £450 or the 2-12x35 which was the one I'd prefer but thats more ££££ too.

I guess it all depends what you're going to use it for ?

Check out the optics forum here for more info on ACOGS/Eotech/Aimpoint etc.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 11:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:08:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Don't cheap out on optics, you'll never be happy and you'll just winding up spending money twice.

These are not cheap but I think it is the best thing going for military grade optics:
Look at the Specter DR:

I got to play with one at the SHOT Show last month and was so impressed I put a deposit down on the spot.  They are going to be in very limited production until August but it essentially gives you an ACOG and an Aimpoint in one weapons sight with better glass and without the quirky plastic tube that tends to break on the ACOGS.

Ooh nice ! , just had a l;ook at the website. Dare I ask how much ? ? ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My alternative to the Simmons was the IOR 1.1-4x26 with illuminated CQB reticule which works out at around £450 or the 2-12x35 which was the one I'd prefer but thats more ££££ too.

I guess it all depends what you're going to use it for ?

Check out the optics forum here for more info on ACOGS/Eotech/Aimpoint etc.

Which is why I have the Simmons....

Who wants to lend me an ACOG for an extended 'review'
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the Specter DR:

Well, I think MSRP is $1600 and change,  U.S.  Dealer on less than 20 units is not too much less but with the exchange rate in your favor, it's hard to say.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Look at the Specter DR:

Well, I think MSRP is $1600 and change,  U.S.  Dealer on less than 20 units is not too much less but with the exchange rate in your favor, it's hard to say.

but the taxmans not.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:11:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Matt

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7223206941

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Just found this

< IM the link to the 'interested parties'…pretty please… with a cherry on the top! >

James
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#22]
ACOG alternative?

THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE - ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just found this
James

When will you guys learn not to advertise our 'friends' openly !!!!!!

If you keep doing this, then there will be no more 'friends'.

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry Me bad!!

James
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:29:25 AM EDT
[#25]
They'll never learn

No matter how much you house train a stray dog, it'll still shit on the carpet and 2-3 weeks from now, you'll be giving out the exact same warnings as you did today

Mark
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:23:53 AM EDT
[#26]
You dont complain whrn i shag your leg though Mark

James
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You dont complain whrn i shag your leg though Mark

James

No,, I only complain when you spell correctly
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:58:09 AM EDT
[#28]

The only alternative to an ACOG is 2 ACOG's
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#30]
He's the human JDAM!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
i2.tinypic.com/qzk6ef.jpg

ACOG's iz teh ghey……

I think the rest of his team was on the point last Saturday!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Looks like he ate the rest of his 'team'......fat b'stard

Which version of the ACOG is 'best' ?

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i2.tinypic.com/qzk6ef.jpg

ACOG's iz teh ghey……

I think the rest of his team was on the point last Saturday!

B******s I told you I was a marine paratrooper!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top