Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 2:01:23 PM EDT
Your mate Leon arrived in Texas on Saturday. Check out the Texas forums for pics, vids and info regarding his visit.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#1]
He looks as if he is having an amazing time!!!

For the UK member here, Gay Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall???

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah,

Those vids are crashing my PC.

How come a poor student can afford to go machinegunning in TX ???????????????????

Looks like he's having fun though
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#3]
He'll be a great candidate for the World Tour.

Looks like there was a warm welcome in Texas.
But, man, will he ever get a hair cut?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah,

Those vids are crashing my PC.

How come a poor student can afford to go machinegunning in TX ???????????????????

Looks like he's having fun though

Mine too, need a new codec I think!

Edit:  Yep, bloody Quicktime and AOL do not mix....... "needs something that isn't available!" poxy software!

Still as long as someone is enjoying themselves!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:21:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:56:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
He looks as if he is having an amazing time!!!

For the UK member here, Gay Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall???

arfcom.superalpha.com/j.jpg

He looks hungry too me...

Feed the boy!

Andy

although I was unable to attend(I live some 800 miles to the south and have a tendacy to fall asleep if I drive too long) I hope he enjoyed the Mexican dinner they had for him. BTW, how popular is Mexican food in the UK?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#7]
With me, Leon and Mike (another member here) the Texas Embassy in London, which is mostly mexican is a favourit,  it was introduced to us by a Texan from the NOR forum.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:09:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Mexican ? ? ? ? I love it !!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
BTW, how popular is Mexican food in the UK?

Isn't Mexican food just the same red mince in different shaped tacos with re-fried beans?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BTW, how popular is Mexican food in the UK?

Isn't Mexican food just the same red mince in different shaped tacos with re-fried beans?

What most people think of as Mexican is actually Tex-Mex. Tex-Mex is from northern Mexico and the south-western US and is alot different from food in central Mexico.

Also you're right Tex-Mex food is almost always the same; beef, chicken, or pork served with beans, tortillias, cheese and flavored with peppers. That's pretty much it.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If I had to guess there was at least a quarter million dollars worth of machine guns and other rifles. The range looked like it glittlered with gold when we left that night.

The BBQ was great and the Mexican food was good although not the most traditional in town. I can safely say that LeonUK's visit was done right from what I saw.

Who's next? Its just another great excuse to go shoot.

Texas hospitality at its finest. Its just the way it works here, ya'll. *  

*(unless you steal something, break in, assault someone, or screw up in the smallest fashion and then we shoot you to death and get no billed by a Grand Jury)  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I loved Tex-Mex when I lived in Texas ( Grew up there ) Yet, I prefer the New Mexico flavors of Arizona!!!

Screw Haggis...Give me a Hatch chili salsa and tortilla chips any day
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#13]
From the pics and video I've seen that looked like a blast.
I just wish I'd have been there too. One day maybe.

I love hot food too

Taffy
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:26:49 AM EDT
[#14]

I loved Tex-Mex when I lived in Texas ( Grew up there ) Yet, I prefer the New Mexico flavors of Arizona!!!

Screw Haggis...Give me a Hatch chili salsa and tortilla chips any day

Hey Wally where's the best store in the Pheonix area for buying cans of hatch and toamatillos; Im down to my last couple of cans here and will need to restock while were out there.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#16]
back to the pics of the shoot, there were lots of kids, are kids allowed on UK ranges?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#18]
They can if they're club members.
Mind you, the NRA says they have to be at least 13?? but this is flexible

Mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think he meant the younger (pre-teen) kids.

ANdy

I was refering to kids the same age as we saw in the pics in the Texas Forums.

...so I take it, no. Kids that young(pre-teens) would not be allowed to shoot guns.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#21]
UK Guys, to truly experience Tex-Mex, you need to find a mom 'n' pop outfit preferably in West Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona, where the Mom half of the outfit is in the kitchen, using traditional spices and recipes.  Heat is not the object, but there should be enough to catch your attention.

New Mexico, and El Paso, IMO is the mecca area for great mex.

I've tried "Mexican" food in places like New York... the result is more italian than Mex.   Haven't tried it in England.  When I'm there, I eat (and love) huge platters of greasy pub food, and the Indian food is outstanding!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was refering to kids the same age as we saw in the pics in the Texas Forums.

...so I take it, no. Kids that young(pre-teens) would not be allowed to shoot guns.

Not on a public range but loads of dad's shoot on private land with very young children, 5 and 6 with the air rifles, until they can handle the bigger rifles at 10/11...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#23]
TEXAS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I will get a hair cut) everyone must go and visit
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
*(unless you steal something, break in, assault someone, or screw up in the smallest fashion and then we shoot you to death and get no billed by a Grand Jury)  

Or if you dance like Vanilla Ice with an MP5 in your hand.

Couldnt get to my camera in time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
TEXAS BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( I will get a hair cut) everyone must go and visit

So I take it you had a good time? Are you back in the UK?
some questions if I may....

1. Was Texas/America what you expected?
2. Anything surprise you?
3. Any cultural oddities you noticed?
4. What's the most memorable thing you saw or experiece?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They can if they're club members.
Mind you, the NRA says they have to be at least 13?? but this is flexible

Mark

Both my boys are full (junior) members of a club and get to shoot regularly on a private range. They've been at the range since before we lost pistols, and shooting since they were about 5 or 6. They are now very competent and safe, but they are always supervised. The eldest has even competed in a couple of national events with special permission from the organisers and he didn't do too badly (and they don't have junior class at these things - I feel sorry for the 'grown-up' saps that were beaten by an under 10!)

The eldest likes the 22 semis, but the younger likes his CZ425 Scout and both lurve the M4gery with suppressor, it reduces the recoil to 22lr standard and the shortened stock makes it a sweet fit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
... in England.  When I'm there, I eat (and love) huge platters of greasy pub food, and the Indian food is outstanding!

After a beer there is nothing better than a good curry, except perhaps (and I'm sure the rest of the UK members will back me up on this) a donor kebab with chilli sauce.
Not the kabob you get in the States, but a real greasy donor served by real Turks (or Greeks or Cypriots, whatever, who cares?) that'll spit in your food as soon as look at you, but they'll put up with a load of drunken idiots late on a Saturday night.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:54:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
We were very glad you had a great time, Leon.  It was great to meet you, I'm just sorry you didn't get to stay longer.  Next time you come over for holiday, stay awhile and we'll all go shoot again.

Can I be Leon next time - please!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm sparti....~coughs~

I'm Leon.......

Show me the guns

And the food

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top