Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 12:36:30 PM EDT
I've seen some pics of people firing what looks like Garands and M14's in some of the pics in the hometown forum, where do I find out more about these rifles (I mean the UK'ized straightpull versions). Do you have to have them custom made?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You've seen M14's. There aren't any Garands.....well, there was one, and only one, that Cotswold Arms had.
I've actually shot it but I'm sure it was made from old parts.

Sabre Defense has some of the M14's, actually ArmsCorp M21's. Last I saw they had about 4 left.
They are a very expensive rifle, about £1400-1600 or so.
Mousegunner has one.
I used to own one but it was before Sabre started building them.
They're a bit ammo sensitive in UK config.
But they will not beat an AR15 type rifle for accuracy

Mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:42:42 PM EDT
[#2]
im confused on how you go about owning these type of rifles....

i see pics of people with AR's yet i thought they were not allowed...this is the UK so how do you mannage to own a real firearm?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You can own a HUGE range of real firearms in the UK legally...it's just that there are many restrictions, especially in terms of semi-auto firearms. All the large caliber centrefire rifles are stright-pull, NOT semi auto. You can even own semi-auto handguns under section 7.3, but the restrictions behind this are huge....just read up on sec 7.3.

You can now even own large caliber revolvers known as long barrel revolvers...see www.rimfiremagic.com for examples...

I'm still new to shooting in the UK as I cme from South Africa where it used to be much more open and unregulated...

Sometimes I wish I was born in Switzerland or Texas
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You've seen M14's. There aren't any Garands.....well, there was one, and only one, that Cotswold Arms had.
I've actually shot it but I'm sure it was made from old parts.

Sabre Defense has some of the M14's, actually ArmsCorp M21's. Last I saw they had about 4 left.
They are a very expensive rifle, about £1400-1600 or so.
Mousegunner has one.
I used to own one but it was before Sabre started building them.
They're a bit ammo sensitive in UK config.
But they will not beat an AR15 type rifle for accuracy

Mark

Thanks for the info. I asked about the M1A as I LOVE that rifle. I like the EBR's a lot too and will definitely invest in a build one day....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

i see pics of people with AR's yet i thought they were not allowed...this is the UK so how do you mannage to own a real firearm?

Hey snip3man, welcome to the board.
Hope you have fun
Don't forget to sign the "who's here" thread
Link

Mark
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh yes, and welcome!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
lol thanks guys :)

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:38:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Sabre Defence M1A scanned review, courtesy of Shooting Sports magazine can be downloaded from
here

Cheers
Steven
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:22:57 AM EDT
[#9]
welcome aboard
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:50:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Welcome!

Where do you hail from?  Have you joined a club yet?

Dave
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:26:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sabre Defence M1A scanned review, courtesy of Shooting Sports magazine can be downloaded from
here

Cheers
Steven

Thanks for the linkage!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:50:04 AM EDT
[#12]
That's me in that article.
On one of my modelling assignments.

Don't I look uber cool??

If any of you want, I'll sign copies of it so as you can impress your families and friends

mark
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:34:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I read somewhere that something like 99% of male models are ghey...

No, that's sailors
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#15]
hey thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

i have not yet joined a club i mainly hunt and airsoft atm....

i do some clay pidgeon shooting when time/money permits with a mate allthough its not a regualr thing as im not a huge fan of shotguns :)

i hail from the Isle Of Wight down south.

i mainly signed up as i was intreasted in the rifles you all had and the fact i love AR's :D
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:22:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i hail from the Isle Of Wight down south.

i mainly signed up as i was intreasted in the rifles you all had and the fact i love AR's :D

Just across the ditch from me!

Hampshire & Isle of Widget Police are pretty reasonable to deal with when you come to apply for your FAC..

ANdy

Did I hear that correctly?

Andy knows Coppers who are OK

News Alert

Sniperman...Welcome to the board

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#18]
i am going to wait a while and get to know more about these things before i jump right into applying for FAC's and the like....

i like to have an understanding of how things work before i jump into it so i know what im doing.....

i know it sounds silly but its just the way i do things when it involves firearms and the like.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:08:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Wise move!  I thought diving was easy and so tried to teach myself ............. The result almost killed me ........ This place is a wealth of knowledge if you have a good scout about......
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
i am going to wait a while and get to know more about these things before i jump right into applying for FAC's and the like....

i like to have an understanding of how things work before i jump into it so i know what im doing.....

i know it sounds silly but its just the way i do things when it involves firearms and the like.

Welcome aboard, Snip3rman.

Your best bet is to get to a club near you and turn up on one of their range/open days. Contact the NRA or look in your local yellow pages (clubs sometimes appear here) or better still, try your local police or gun shop for club details. Contact the club, go along and shoot. There's nothing like pulling the trigger to get you hooked.

Then you're mine, all mine bruhahaha

Sorry, must take my medication.

Seriously, you'll have to do a probationary period with a club before you can apply for your FAC, and this is the best time to see if you like it or not, whilst still having a go. It'll save time in the long run, and you'll get to meet like-minded people with a range of firearms, shooting many different disciplines, for you to think about.

Good luck.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#21]
just  found out they shoot every monday in an old railway tunnel the club has and my mate goes :D

will try and tag along...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Did I hear that correctly?

Andy knows Coppers who are OK

News Alert

Personally I think the ONLY input the Police should have into our shooters should be to do a background check.

ANdy

Through Echelon?

Taffy
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:12:43 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Personally I think the ONLY input the Police should have into our shooters should be to do a background check.

Yeah I agree with Vito, whats really concerning me at the moment is all the crack about police forces merging. Its gonna play havoc with any potential FAC variations requested as there may be a hidden agenda by one of the merging forces.

Take our local plods up in Cumbria, you couldn't ask for a better firearms licensing dept. Which other force allows you to have .50 BMG for fox, vermin and deer control or 57,000 + rounds of ammo on you ticket as a private individual.

Thats all gonna be fucked when we merge with the Scousers or the Lancs plods, they are anti shooting.

Just hope that my variation for a multishot pistol for humane despatch comes through before the merger  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I agree with Vito, whats really concerning me at the moment is all the crack about police forces merging. Its gonna play havoc with any potential FAC variations requested as there may be a hidden agenda by one of the merging forces.

Take our local plods up in Cumbria, you couldn't ask for a better firearms licensing dept. Which other force allows you to have .50 BMG for fox, vermin and deer control or 57,000 + rounds of ammo on you ticket as a private individual.

Thats all gonna be fucked when we merge with the Scousers or the Lancs plods, they are anti shooting.

Just hope that my variation for a multishot pistol for humane despatch comes through before the merger  

I'll look after all your rifles, Dave. You can come and touch them whenever you want and I'll send pictures of us shooting them
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll look after all your rifles, Dave. You can come and touch them whenever you want and I'll send pictures of us shooting them

Everyone of them except for his ghey carbine
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:23:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
57,000 + rounds of ammo on you ticket as a private individual.

All those 6mm plastic balls must be a fire hazard!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:00:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
57,000 + rounds of ammo on you ticket as a private individual.

All those 6mm plastic balls must be a fire hazard!

Ooooo! Low punch!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:32:39 AM EDT
[#29]
They don't call me Fun Time Freddy, toting a  pink throbber!

Come to that, wern't you seen buying one of those deadly airsofts at Bisley earlier this year ........and dont try and tell me its for the baby so he's got something to start early with. Ha
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 1:37:53 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Come to that, wern't you seen buying one of those deadly airsofts at Bisley earlier this year ........and dont try and tell me its for the baby so he's got something to start early with. Ha

I for one, do not own an airsoft
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 2:11:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Why even think about airsoft when you own these!!!

The lower 1911 was made in 1914 and was used by the US when Pancho Villa was making various raids into the states. Its a nice shooter when using home loaded 45 and groups around 6-7" at 25 yards (there's a lot of play between the slide and the frame) This pistol is coming home once our club get section 7.3. The upper model is a series 80 colt and used to group around 3" at 25 yards, I have now sold this piece and am taking delivery of a H&K USP elite in 9mm for practical use. The only downside being that the  pistolas are in the I.O.M, 25 miles from where I live.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:04:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Question for my GB friends... can you guys own semi-automatic .22LR AR's without much hassle?  In other words, a dedicated Ciener-conversion rifle.  If so, how does the law look upon its ability to be rather quickly reconverted to 5.56?

BTW Mouse I lust on your old US Army M1911.  A beautiful, historic gun!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
NO, YOU ARE c/s BALDY FUDGE PACKER

dont try and tell me its for the baby so he's got something to start early with. Ha

No, he prefers Streetfighter's Daniel Defence kit!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:12:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Question for my GB friends... can you guys own semi-automatic .22LR AR's without much hassle?  In other words, a dedicated Ciener-conversion rifle.  If so, how does the law look upon its ability to be rather quickly reconverted to 5.56?

The ciener kit is blow-back, so the insert has no need of the 5.56mm rifle's gas system (which we do not have).

It get listed on the forms as a .22 semi-auto adaptor kit

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top