Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2021 6:35:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wickedbeernut]

Silver City, New Mexico

Preface

The topic of restaurant recommendations in Silver City comes up from time to time.  I thought I'd kick off and maintain a few recommendations here.  Please add your own recommendations and feel free to criticize mine.

Additional Notes

The name of each restaurant is a hyperlink to its web site (if available).   I've included a direct link to each restaurant's Facebook page (if available).  I'm a big fan of Yelp.  I've included a direct link to each restaurant's Yelp page (if available).  Please take the Yelp reviews into consideration in selecting a restaurant.

Dog-Friendly Restaurants

I know a lot of people travel with their dogs.  I've attempted to identify restaurants with dog-friendly patios.  Other restaurants may have dog-friendly patios.  I'd encourage you to call to confirm.  

Alcohol

New Mexico recently (March 2021) passed legislation creating a new category of restaurant liquor license.  More restaurants will be offering alcohol in the near future.  I've attempted to note the restaurants which currently serve liquor.

As my screen name implies, I'm a bit of a beer nut.  I won't eat dinner at a restaurant that doesn't have craft beer on draft.  Just my thing.  The one exception is The Jalisco Cafe which has good margaritas.

Of course, most restaurants that serve craft beer also serve "domestic" beer.  The one exception is the Little Toad Creek Brewery & Distillery.  This is a function of the state small brewer's license.  Don't visit the Toad expecting to order a Bud Light, however, you may be able to stomach their Lucky Toad Lager or Smarte Blonde Ale.  Ask for samples.  Same situation with Open Space Brewing.

As with craft beer, Grant County as a whole isn't real big on wine.  Most of the restaurants that serve beer also serve wine.  Obviously, the nicer the restaurant, the better the wine.  Several restaurants serve New Mexico wine.  If you're interested and you've never tasted New Mexico wine, ask for a sample before you order a glass.

Events

Tour of the Gila (Five Stage Iconic American Bicycle Race)

Silver City Blues Festival

Recommendations from Other ARFCOM Members (click on member's name for recommendations)
Pro_Patria_431
In alphabetical order, here are the restaurants I frequent ...

(All of the restaurants are in Silver City unless otherwise noted)

Adobe Springs Cafe $$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • patio
  • great breakfast
  • personal favorite:  veggie omelet with bacon (inside) and a side of red chile sauce
  • good lunch
  • bottled and canned craft beer

The Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House (Pinos Altos) $$$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • looks the same as when it first opened in the 1860’s
  • typicallly one or two craft beers on draft
  • good bottled and canned craft beer selection
  • very good food
  • reservations recommended
  • small, casual saloon (in addition to the dining room) with "more affordable" pub menu (e.g., $15 burger and fries, $19 steak sandwich, ...)
  • bar seating (no TV)
  • dinner menu certainly earns $$$ rating
  • live music on the weekends and open mic on certain weekdays (check Event Calendar or Facebook page)
  • liquor

Attachment Attached File

The Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House

Attachment Attached File

The Buckhorn Saloon

Diane's Restaurant & Parlor $$ - $$$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • temporarily or permanently closed (as of January 5, 2024)
  • good selection of craft beer on draft
  • good selection of bottled and canned craft beer
  • very good food
  • small, casual parlor (in addition to the dining room) with "more affordable" pub menu (or order off the dinner menu)
  • bar seating (no TV)
  • live music on Fridays

Diane's Bakery & Deli $$

Don Juan's Burritos $
  • Yelp
  • drive-through only

The Duck Stop $$

Forrest's Pizza $ - $$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • take-out only
  • very expensive pizza
  • available by the slice at times
  • limited throughput / order in advance
  • personal favorite:  The Classic (Italian sausage, pepperoni, bell pepper, onion and mushrooms) 18" - $32.50

Iron Door BBQ and Grill $$ - $$$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • best (and only) Texas style pit BBQ in Grant County
  • excellent pork and beef ribs (Friday and Saturday only, pork ribs preferred)
  • very good lean and moist brisket
  • excellent jalapeno cheddar sausage
  • don't be fooled by food truck, smoker in beer garden behind iron door
  • outdoor patio / beer garden
  • no alcohol (BYOB in beer garden)

The Jalisco Cafe $$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • authentic, Southwest New Mexican cuisine
  • spicy hot by most standards (don't complain that it's too hot ... you've been warned)
  • order something with red and/or green chile (don't order something without chile and complain that it's bland)
  • the salsa (served with chips) is a good barometer of what you're getting yourself into
  • ask to sample the chile if in doubt
  • combination plate is popular
  • personal favorite:  New Mexico Cheese Enchiladas (red chile with egg overeasy on top)
  • strong margaritas
  • bottled and canned (non-craft) beer
  • sopapillas for dessert if you're still hungry

The Jalisco Cafe is a MUST!

Little Toad Creek Brewery & Distillery $$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • good craft beer
  • beer styles are somewhat dated and subdued (possibly to suit Grant County tastes)
  • interesting canned cocktails for non-beer drinkers (Watermelon Jalapeño Mixed-Up Mule, Gin & Grapefruit Mixed-Up Mule, Mojito Mixed-Up Mule, ...)
  • good food
  • personal favorite:  Eric’s Burger (hand packed all-beef patty & fresh-sliced pastrami on a rosette bun with swiss, onions, green chile, sauerkraut, homemade thousand island dressing) $14.95 with a side
  • large bier garten (dog-friendly)
  • friendly, casual, relaxing vibe
  • bar seating with sports on TV
  • live music and dancing on the weekends
  • craft liquor

Scott's Tap Room (at Golf Course / Scott Park Golf Links) $
  • Facebook
  • patio (dog-friendly)
  • possibly the best restaurant view in Grant County
  • good selection of draft craft beers
  • draft beer not the coldest in town
  • average food (pub menu)
  • personal favorite:  Old Fashion Burger (double all beef patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle) $9.00 with a side
  • affordable
  • liquor

Attachment Attached File

View from Scott Park Golf Links Patio

Whiskey Creek Zócalo (Arenas Valley) $$
  • Facebook
  • Yelp
  • Zócalo is in Arenas Valley, about halfway in between Silver City and the Mining District
  • eclectic interior design
  • ample outdoor seating
  • menu
  • 12" wood-fired pizza ($16 - $17)
  • side salad with organic produce ($8)
  • craft draft beer ($6 - $8)
  • wine
  • bottled domestic beer, hard seltzers, ...
  • no liquor (yet)
  • live music (check out whiskeycreekzocalo.com/calendar)
  • plant nursery
  • indoor retail space / neighborhood market

If you happen to be in the mining district (Santa Clara, Bayard, and Hurley) ...

M & A (Mexican & American) Bayard Cafe (Bayard) $
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • good breakfast and lunch
  • small-town, same-family-owned cafe for 30+ years
  • great homemade cinnamon rolls (while they last)
  • no alcohol
  • closed on the weekends

Open Space Brewing (Santa Clara) $$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • located in the old Santa Clara Armory
  • taproom
  • great craft beer
  • dog- and cat-friendly
  • outdoor beer garden
  • food truck on occassion
  • accessible via Fort Bayard trail system (hiking, mountain biking, ...)

The Patio Restaurant (Hurley) $
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • good breakfast and lunch
  • personal favorite:  Spanish omelet smoothered in red chile
  • large garden patio (highly recommended)
  • bottled and canned non-craft beer
  • Hatch green chile roasted-to-order August to September
  • Hatch green chile (frozen) and red chile for sale year-round

If you happen to be in the Deming area ...

Adobe Deli (Deming) $$ - $$$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • a "little" out of the way (if travelling West on I10, get off in Akela and take 549)
  • think "From Dusk till Dawn" bar (@Allen-in-NM)
  • modest selection of craft beer on draft
  • great steaks
  • great onion soup
  • bier garten
  • bar seating (limited TV)
  • liquor

The Happy Camper Clubhouse (Deming) $ - $$
  • Facebook
  • Yelp
  • good selection of draft craft beers
  • fun, clean, well-lit, family-friendly atmosphere indoors
  • good food (pub menu)
  • outdoor patio
  • live music (check well-maintained Facebook page)

and a "fun" drinking establishment in the Deming area ...

Boogie's Brewery & Distillery (Deming) $ - $$
  • Facebook
  • Yelp
  • tap room closed (as of October 13, 2023)
  • formerly Mimbres Valley Brewery
  • good selection of craft beers on draft
  • food trucks
  • fun, grungy, dark, adult-oriented atmosphere indoors
  • outdoor patio
  • live music (check well-maintained Facebook page)
  • cornhole
  • Harvest Hosts location

If you happen to be in the San Lorenzo / Mimbres area ...

3 Question Coffee Shop / Living Harvest Bakery & Restaurant (San Lorenzo) $
  • (pictures)
  • Yelp
  • "All You Can Enjoy!!!" breakfast for $6.50
  • simple, hearty, and a tremendous value
  • buffet-style breakfast includes coffee (the chocolate piñon / pine nut coffee is excellent), milk, orange juice, green chile stew, an assortment of baked goods including homemade cinnamon rolls, several scrambled egg dishes, hash browns, and more
  • only downside ... the dining area tends to be rather warm during the Summer months (no air conditioning combined with ovens / stoves)

The Log Cabin Restaurant (Mimbres) $
  • Facebook
  • Yelp
  • pizza
  • wings
  • sandwiches
  • salads
  • pies
  • bottled and canned beer (one "craft" beer) and wine

Other popular Silver City eating and drinking establishments ...

Coffee Houses

Tranquilbuzz Coffee House
Javalina Coffee House
Donuts

Daylight Donuts
Donuts N Boba of Silver City
  • Facebook
  • Bubble Milk Tea (with Boba)
  • Gourmet Donuts
  • Kolaches
Ice Cream

The Ice Cream Emporium
The Mint Chip Creamery
  • Facebook
  • seasonal treats (candy apples, ...)
  • weekend baked goods (cakes, cookies, pies, ...)
  • donuts
  • popsicles
Other popular Silver City restaurants worthy of consideration ...

Chaos Sandwiches
Corner Kitchen $$
  • Yelp
  • Facebook
  • limited menu
  • very good food
  • small patio
  • odd, inconsistent hours (call first)
  • no alcohol (yet)

Mick's 33 Lounge $$$
  • Facebook
  • co-located with Q's Southern Bistro
  • no draft craft beer Deal Breaker
  • very good food (probably the best in Silver City)
  • more intimate and formal / known to enforce reasonable dresscode
  • dinner menu earns $$$ rating
  • covered, enclosed patio
  • live, pleasant dinner music on the weekends
  • small dance floor for late-night dancing
  • limited bar seating (with sports on TV at appropriate times ... not during dinner)
  • generous, more affordable appetizers can serve as a meal at the bar
  • liquor

scratch
  • Facebook
  • Yelp
  • Menu Calendar
  • located at old Lion's club
  • lunch $15 - Friday (11:30 - 1:30) / carry out or dine in
  • pop-up five-course tasting dinner $50 / BYOB
  • communal seating
Taste of VegasW&Z Asian Bistro & Sushi Bar
  • Facebook
  • Yelp
  • bottled/canned craft beer
  • staff can be rude and callous
Popular Silver City restaurants with terrible ratings ...

Q's Southern Bistro $$
  • Yelp (3 stars - proceed with caution)
  • Facebook
  • good selection of craft beer on draft
  • good food
  • broad menu
  • semi-enclosed, covered patio
  • liquor

Wrangler's Bar and Grill $$
  • Yelp (2.5 stars - proceed with caution)
  • Facebook
  • average food
  • great salad bar
  • raucous bar seating with sports on TV
  • minimal selection of craft beers on draft
  • good selection of craft beer at Silver City Beverage Co. next door
  • liquor

Wineries

D. H. Lescombes Winery & Tasting Room (Deming) $

La Esperanza Vineyard & Winery (Hanover)
  • Facebook
  • tasting room open Friday - Sunday, noon to 6 p.m. (call first)
  • take your own picnic lunch
  • check events calendar for special events
  • great selection of bottled beer from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company

Attachment Attached File

La Esperanza Vineyard

Luna Rossa Winery (Deming) $
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Jalisco Cafe is outstanding.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I made a few COVID-related updates (May / June 2021) to my restaurant recommendations, most notably,
Food and drink establishments: 75% of maximum capacity
and the following restaurants have re-opened,
The Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House
Mick's 33 Lounge
I'd strongly encourage you to make reservations at both restaurants.  All of the restaurants in Grant County are struggling to staff back up with the induced labor shortage.  Many restaurants still have reduced hours as a result.

The Buckhorn, Mick's, and the Toad are back to offering live music.  Check their respective event calendars.

Unfortunately, Diane's Restaurant and Parlor remains closed.  Rumor has it she's looking to reopen in the Fall.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 3:47:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wickedbeernut] [#4]
I updated my restaurant recommendations, mainly to remove the COVID restrictions.  Huzzah!  About time.  Again, I encourage you to add your own recommendations and feel free to criticize mine.

All of the restaurants in Grant County are still struggling to staff back up with the induced labor shortage.  Many restaurants still have reduced hours as a result.  Wait times are longer than usual.  Service is slower than usual.  Please don't take it out on the wait staff.

Diane's Restaurant and Parlor remains closed.  Rumor has it she's looking to reopen in August.

The Tour of the Gila returns to Silver City September 29 – October 3, 2021.  This is an absolute blast ... especially stage 4, the downtown criterium, on Saturday, October 2.

Tour of the Gila

Cancelled

Link Posted: 7/20/2021 9:17:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pro_Patria_431] [#5]
I like the little Burrito place in the trailer on Pinos Altos Rd up from McDonalds. Cash only, and usually has a wait around lunch.

I frequent La Cocina on College fairly often, usually crispy red carne asada enchiladas, but their burgers are pretty good too.

Irma's in Deming is worth a visit.

The Gateway in Hurley used to be part of my weekend routine, but I haven't been there since they changed owners.

ETA: Been going to Sunrise Espresso on Hudson for my morning coffee for years. They used to be in the shack by Billy Casper's but moved down by the carwash (used to be the tobacco shop).
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I added a new category to the original post in this thread titled, "Recommendations from Other ARFCOM Members".  It directly links to your post.  Feel free to edit your post if you have additional recommendations.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431: I like the little Burrito place in the trailer on Pinos Altos Rd up from McDonalds. Cash only, and usually has a wait around lunch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pro_Patria_431: I like the little Burrito place in the trailer on Pinos Altos Rd up from McDonalds. Cash only, and usually has a wait around lunch.
I believe that's Tacos La Palma?

I frequent La Cocina on College fairly often, usually crispy red carne asada enchiladas, but their burgers are pretty good too.
There are several good New Mexican restaurants in Silver City.  Even the more "American" restaurants have a few uniquely New Mexican dishes.  Almost all of the restaurants have a bit of New Mexican flair.  For example, it's hard to find a hamburger that isn't available with Hatch green chile.  But for me, if I'm after authentic New Mexican food and a margarita, it's the Jalisco Cafe.

Your La Cocina recommendation is noted. I hope others will chime in with their recommendations as well.

Irma's in Deming is worth a visit.
I certainly haven't done Deming justice.  Deming deserves a list of recommendations all its own.  I included Adobe Deli and Forghedaboudit Southwest Italian because they're so "unique", although the Deming Forghedaboudit location is still temporarily closed from COVID as far as I know.

The Gateway in Hurley used to be part of my weekend routine, but I haven't been there since they changed owners.
I've tried it (both before and after).  Not my thing.  If I'm in Hurley, I'm sitting in the beautiful garden patio of the Patio restaurant.  Despite the name, I'm sure a lot of folks new to the area don't even know the garden patio is back there.  The Patio restaurant will have three or four green chile roasters going here in another month.  That alone is worth the trip.

ETA: Been going to Sunrise Espresso on Hudson for my morning coffee for years. They used to be in the shack by Billy Casper's but moved down by the carwash (used to be the tobacco shop).
Thank you for your recommendations!
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 9:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
On a related topic ...

We were discussing the Chino mine (aka, Santa Rita mine, Santa Rita del Cobre, ...) vista point / overlook in another ARFCOM thread.  This open-air vista (which has panels with historical information) had been closed due to COVID.  I drove by this morning and it's open again.  This picture doesn't do it justice.  But if you're traveling through Bayard or Santa Clara on your way to or from Silver City, it's worth going a few minutes out of your way.  If you're traveling to San Lorenzo, Mimbres or possibly La Esperanza winery in Sherman from Silver City, you'll pass by it on your way.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 7:47:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wickedbeernut] [#9]
We visited the 3 Question Coffee Shop / Living Harvest Bakery & Restaurant in San Lorenzo / Mimbres this morning for breakfast.  As I pulled up, I noticed there was a length of thin blue painters tape stretched diagonally through the word "Restaurant" on the sign out front.  Humm.  As we walked into the restaurant, I noticed a similar strip of painters tape across the menu on the wall.  I thought to myself, "That's odd."  The breakfast is normaly "All You Can Enjoy!!!" for $6.50.  We proceeded to have a wonderful breakfast after which I walked up to the cash register, "I'd like to pay for two breakfasts, please."  The young woman said, "We don't charge for breakfast."  Huh?  She proceeded to explain that the state had imposed so many rules with COVID they decided to drop the word "Restaurant" from their name and not charge for breakfast.  Needless to say, I left a $20 "tip".

The "All You Can Enjoy!!!" breakfast is simple, hearty, and a tremendous value.  The buffet-style breakfast includes coffee (the chocolate piñon / pine nut coffee is excellent), milk, orange juice, green chile stew, an assortment of baked goods including homemade cinnamon rolls, several scrambled egg dishes, hash browns, and more.

The only downside ... the dining area tends to be rather warm during the Summer months (no air conditioning combined with ovens / stoves).
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been trying to hit The Living Harvest on Saturdays since I learned they were no longer a "restaurant". They were flexible before covid, and I like to reward their determination to stay open. My breakfast is more than they historically asked for that reason.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 2:57:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a few updates ...

The Tour of the Gila five-stage bicycle race scheduled for September 29 – October 3, 2021 has been cancelled due to COVID-related concerns.

Carnitas Musica y Mas Fiesta is this weekend, September 3 - 5, 2021,
Tickets At Gate: $7 Per Day | $15 All 3 Days
Facebook
Web Site

Attachment Attached File

La Esperanza Vineyard and Winery 12th Anniversary Celebration is September 18, 2021,
$4 cover charge per person
Music by Brandon Perrault - noon to 3:00
Grape Stomping Contest - 3:30 to 5:30 ($5 sign-up fee)
Facebook
Web Site

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 11:36:27 PM EDT
[#12]
A few updates I just incorporated into my existing "frequented" list (original post above)...

Diane's Restaurant
  • remains closed

Mick's 33 Lounge
  • currently no draft beer

Revel
  • artisan cocktails
  • only open Friday to Sunday, 5:00 pm to close
  • Prix Fixe meal with three courses at fixed price

Scott's Tap Room
  • modest selection of craft beers back on draft

Restaurants soon to be added to my "frequented" list ...

Iron Door BBQ and Grill

W&Z Asian Bistro & Sushi Bar
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the good info here OP.  We spent a day in Silver City earlier this week while driving all around NM and AZ.  We happened on The Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House and I remembered it from this thread.  The food was excellent and reasonably priced.  Well worth a visit if in the area.  We stayed at the Murray Hotel in the downtown section.  A great place if you want a flashback to the Art Deco era.  It was a nicer stay than we'd had at the modern chain hotels used earlier in the trip.
Link Posted: 11/6/2021 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cut_Nail: Thanks for the good info here OP.  We spent a day in Silver City earlier this week while driving all around NM and AZ.  We happened on The Buckhorn Saloon and Opera House and I remembered it from this thread.  The food was excellent and reasonably priced.  Well worth a visit if in the area.  We stayed at the Murray Hotel in the downtown section.  A great place if you want a flashback to the Art Deco era.  It was a nicer stay than we'd had at the modern chain hotels used earlier in the trip.
View Quote
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in the Silver City area.  It's the most beautiful time of the year.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I've made a few changes to the original post ...

I've added the following "food truck" (permanently located in Silver City),
  • Iron Door BBQ and Grill
I've added a few "fun" drinking establishments in Deming,
  • The Happy Camper Clubhouse
  • Boogie's Brewery & Distillery
removed,
  • Forghedaboudit Southwest Italian - Permanently Closed
and noted,
  • La Esperanza Vineyard & Winery
Unfortunately, the aftermath of COVID continues to have a negative impact on customer service and the quality of food in our Silver City and surrounding area restaurants.

Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I've made a few changes to the original post ...

I've added,and removed,
  • Chentes Taqueria (replaced by Roxy's Diner)
I'm assuming Diane's Restaurant is permanently closed at this point, although Diane's Bakery & Deli is still open.

The jury is still out on Roxy's Diner.  I still haven't visited,
I really should consider adding ice cream parlors,
And I need to add,
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#17]

36th Tour of the Gila
April 26-30, 2023

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]

(significant updates to the original post)

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Now Serving Alcohol

The Log Cabin Restaurant (Mimbres)
  • bottled and canned beer (one "craft" beer) and wine

Now Open

Donuts N Boba of Silver City

Open Space Brewing (Santa Clara)
  • located in the old Santa Clara Armory
  • taproom
  • great craft beer
  • dog- and cat-friendly
  • outdoor beer garden
  • food truck on occassion
  • accessible via Fort Bayard trail system (hiking, mountain biking, ...)

Out of Business

Two Piece Fried Chicken

High Desert Pies
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top