Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 5:07:50 AM EDT
No loaded firearm can be in a car correct.
CCW or not.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#1]
  5-73-120. Carrying a weapon.

(a)  A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon if he or she possesses a handgun, knife, or club on or about his or her person, in a vehicle occupied by him or her, or otherwise readily available for use with a purpose to employ it as a weapon against a person.  
   (b)  As used in this section, unless the context otherwise requires:  

(1)  "Club" means any instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious physical injury or death by striking, including a blackjack, billie, and sap;  

(2)  "Handgun" means any firearm with a barrel length of less than twelve inches (12") that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one (1) hand; and  

(3)  "Knife" means any bladed hand instrument that is capable of inflicting serious physical injury or death by cutting or stabbing. It includes a dirk, sword or spear in a cane, razor, ice pick, throwing star, switchblade, and butterfly knife.  

(c)  It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that at the time of the act of carrying a weapon:  

(1)  The person is in his or her own dwelling, place of business, or on property in which he or she has a possessory or proprietary interest;  

(2)  The person is a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces acting in the course and scope of his or her official duties;  

(3)  The person is assisting a law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces acting in the course and scope of his or her official duties pursuant to the direction or request of the law enforcement officer, correctional officer, or member of the armed forces;  

(4)  The person is carrying a weapon when upon a journey, unless the journey is through a commercial airport when presenting at the security checkpoint in the airport or is in the person's checked baggage and is not a lawfully declared weapon;  

(5)  The person is a licensed security guard acting in the course and scope of his or her duties;  

(6)  The person is hunting game with a handgun which may be hunted with a handgun under rules and regulations of the Arkansas State Game and Fish Commission or is en route to or from a hunting area for the purpose of hunting game with a handgun;  

(7)  The person is a certified law enforcement officer; or  

(8)  The person is in a motor vehicle and the person has a license to carry a concealed weapon pursuant to § 5-73-301 et seq.  

(d)(1)  Any person who carries a weapon into an establishment that sells alcoholic beverages shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and subject to a fine of not more than two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) or imprisonment for not more than one (1) year, or both.  

(2)  Otherwise, carrying a weapon is a Class A misdemeanor.  

The relevant statutes are in red.  

ETA: "defense to a prosecution" means you can still be arrested by a jackass JBT. BUT you'll walk.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#2]
When I researched Packing. org the result was unclear to me. According to the red text yes I can.
FL CCW laws are some of the best in the US
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If your traveling through here and not breaking laws otherwise,  usually  you won't take any heat for a concealed firearm in your car,  use common sense.  If asked if your armed admit to it,  I dunno if Arkansas has reciprocity with FL or not on ccw.  Ill look it up for ya.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
We do :D
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:07:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I am still unclear on the laws. I can conceal under my coat (with AR permit)
on the street a but can not have a loaded firearm in my car even with a permit.
As a AR citizen not Fl CCW holder.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No loaded firearm can be in a car correct.
CCW or not.

If you have a valid CCW permit, YOU CAN carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle in Arkansas.  It would be rediculous if we couldn't carry lock and loaded in our cars.  Hell, I probably wouldn't even bothered to get the license.  The main thing to remember is that it is a "Concealed" carry permit.

Arkansas does reciprocate and honor Florida permit holders.  As I understand it, You just have to follow AR law if it is less than/greater to your current state's laws when in AR.  This is where you do your research and make sure that you know any differences between the two states.

When I vacationed in FL, I called the State Police there and just verified some of the differences between AR and FL (There really wasn't much).  They were very helpful and even made sure that I had their name in case I had any problems or other questions.

Check out the AR State Police website.

www.asp.state.ar.us/

DK
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks DK!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:12:01 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure if FL can get it, but Arkansas CCW holders can get a non-resident permit from New Hampshire that allows CCW reciprocity all the way to FL from Arkansas. I think it's only $20-$25. It requires a photo copy of your AR CCW card and AR DL. My friend got his back in a week or two.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]
A bunch of people have been getting UTAH CCW permits.  If you have Utah permits and AR , I think that covers the entire country for states that allow CCW at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:11:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh how I wish it were like drivers licenses and honored everywhere

Arkansas license is not even honored in all of the SE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top