Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 3:32:07 PM EDT
I heard there is a ccw bill that is supposed to be voted on this session in the state senate.  Think it will pass?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:42:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#2]
While it does have some bad juju to it, anything is better than nothing IMO.

I heard a rumor that Ernie Chambers is going to lose his position, so maybe it will be passed, and if we're lucky, it will be worked over to be more appealing all together.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I heard a rumor that Ernie Chambers is going to lose his position,

I'm not a religious person at all, but if that's true THANK GOD.

i mean i'm not even a nebraska resident and that man pisses me off.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
This will be Ernie's last year.  We hope.  He's filing suit to try and over turn the term limits law.  They tried to get the supreme court to hear it first so Ernie could get his name on the ballot in time but the supreme court said no.  You must work your way through the courts.  Thus not allowing enough time for Ernie to get his name on the ballot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:05:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't really know the details of the bill,  what don't you like about it?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#8]
 Given the current political situation, adding amendments such as reciprocity, removing prohibited places, etc. would result in losing a few of the crucial votes necessary for cloture and killing the bill.  Look at the nationwie model: you pass a shall-issue bill.  The sky does not fall.  You pass a cleanup bill that removes prohibited places, adjusts any problems with training requirements, etc.  This has been the case in virtually every state.  In many ways, this bill is better than some states: restaurant carry, confidentiality, etc.  A few corrections to your post:  Nowhere in the current bill is the penalty for carrying changed to a felony.   The fee is not to be set by the patrol- the fee will be $100 and there's a pending amendment lowering the fee to "actual expenses" which, according to the fiscal note, will be lower than $100.  The "affirmative defense" in current law is retained, however, I think that you're reading of that provision is a bit misguided.  An anformative defense isn't something that gets you off the hook on the side of the road when you're caught carrying.  An affirmative defense is something that you raise with the court after you're arrested, booked, arraigned, charged, have hired a lawyer, had your life turned upside-down, etc.  Me?  I'll take the permit system.    
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#10]
The line that you reference is current statute, not part of the bill (new sections are underlined).  My profile says VA but I sit in Lincoln as I write this.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:50:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
No reciprocity with other states,

Multiple locations where you are not to be trusted with a firearm.

Fees to be set and training requirements to be set by the discretion of the head of the NE state patrol.
So if he decides it's $4000 and you must complete 1 year of training at the NE state patrol academy then so be it. Even if he sets it reasonable, then when a new head of patrol is hired, all rules change.

Once the permit system is in place carrying without a permit becomes a felony currenty a misdemeanor.

What most people in NE do not understand is that we have what is called affirmative defense for carrying a concealed weapon.  This means that in your situation if carrying a concealed firearm is prudent than it is not a crime.  If you have a valid reason to carry a firearm it is perfectly legal in NE, already and all it is, is when they catch you doing a crime, they will add one more charge onto your crime sheet, they don't arrest non criminals for carrying guns.

These sound like multiple bad ideas. Combine them with giving up affirmative defense, with a misdemeanor charge, and I would rather not see the bill pass either.

One other thing to keep in mind. When Colorado went from a "may issue" to a "shall issue" the permits changed from a concealed WEAPON to a concealed PISTOL permit. Now you are limited to only a pistol where before you could carry a knife with a blade >3.5" or something else. Keep your options open, insist on a concealed WEAPON permit.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:00:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I really wish that folks would read the bill before offering their "expertise".  The bill DOES NOT change the affirmative defense.  It adds a system that will allow folks to carry in & around the vast majority of the state- is it perfect?  No.  Does it expand gun rights without giving anything up?  Yes.  As for passing something easy- try finding 33 cloture votes 3 times with the Fl bill.  Not gonna happen in the Unicam.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
david, i was under the impression the proposed ccw legislation would not change existing laws whatsoever, including the existing ccw provisions and open carry?  maybe it was just open carry, and i was confused.

i'm still torn on the subject... the desire to have ccw in nebraska is high enough to get anything through, but this bill is actually pretty damned un-appealing.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is it perfect now, no, but I am fine with the way it has been for all my life, do I want it to get better, yes, but I want it to be perfect not another comprimise just to get something passed.

As for reading it, I read it, I attened a session of the unicameral when they discussed, it I attended meetings organizes by CCW Nebraska group in Lincoln.

Why pass crap, Why pass crap, Why pass crap, other than for the NRA to put a flag in thier cap and claim another state passed CCW.

Hey Dave, do you have any additional info on the group that meets in Lincoln?  I'd like to attend.

Thanks and for the record, I agree with you.

"Passing bad legislation just to pass it is a bad idea."
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's a good link for ya'll.

http://p094.ezboard.com/bccwnebraska

Rick_NE
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:13:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Is the bill going to be the same as last year or are they going to change any of it?  If  so does anybody have a link to the new bill.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#22]
I was always under the impression that a second offence concealed wepon is a felony as the laws sit now, but too lazy to look up the laws again to clarify it, mabey later if im bored.  I do know an oriental guy that was ticketed for having a 1911 unloaded on the front seat floor and was ticketed for mis. possesion of a concealed wepon.  He had commited no other crimes other than a traffic violation (california stop), and his gun was confinscated and he could not get it back.  This was in lincoln about 2 years ago.  He said the police told him it either has to be in the trunk, on the front seat, or on the dash and unloaded?  This is why I usually drive my car, with my guns in the trunk when im transporting them, because I dont want them confinscated, or to get charged with a crime.  I am always a little hesitant to take the truck because I have found no information on the net, even police websites for Lancaster, Lincoln, or Cass counties, on how to legally transport without being concealed, especially with handguns.  All they say is the penaltys for having one concealed.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:33:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Running  Legislative update from David's link above.  A good informative thread which includes the typical E. Chambers tactics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top