Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2017 3:58:03 PM EDT
Hey all, I am trying to set up a killer xmas gift for mom and dad, both have always wanted to see Alaska, but haven't been able to swing it financially. So now its time for me to pay back in a way all that they did for me through college. I was planning on doing a airline gift-card for airfare, but I'm stuck on where to start looking as far as resorts, hotels etc. for the exploration of the state. They both are outdoorsy to an extent for their age are able to get around good and the like sans wilderness hiking and such. I know they would like to see the real Alaska, not the touristy first page of google stuff, at the same time I'd like to give them some luxury on the trip if that makes sense. So can anyone point me in a general direction of good places to stay or a tour company to liik into?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all, I am trying to set up a killer xmas gift for mom and dad, both have always wanted to see Alaska, but haven't been able to swing it financially. So now its time for me to pay back in a way all that they did for me through college. I was planning on doing a airline gift-card for airfare, but I'm stuck on where to start looking as far as resorts, hotels etc. for the exploration of the state. They both are outdoorsy to an extent for their age are able to get around good and the like sans wilderness hiking and such. I know they would like to see the real Alaska, not the touristy first page of google stuff, at the same time I'd like to give them some luxury on the trip if that makes sense. So can anyone point me in a general direction of good places to stay or a tour company to liik into?

Thanks!
View Quote

I am not a local but I gave my mother and my family the same present that you are planning to give your parents so I can at least tell you what I planned.  We did a road trip from the Matsu valley down to Anchorage and through the Kenai Peninsula.  We stayed all nights in vacation rentals in Palmer, Sterling, and Seward.  Since we had 3 generations in our group, we made sure we didn't have to travel too much in a single day and did day trips from each of our rentals.  You might want to look into arranging a railroad trip for them.  My mother really liked that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Places to see on the road system;

Denali Park
Seward
Homer

Renting a car from any of the National rental companies is a safe bet

VRBO the lodging or use Princess Wilderness Lodge for the Denali part.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Glacier Bay Lodge.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
You might want to look into an rv rental. I don't know what they cost but I see a ton of people using the rental ones here. And hotels in the summer can get very expensive(when I needed a hotel earlier this month for a few nights it was over $200/night for a cheap one) And this way it doesn't have to be a strict schedule they can make it up as they go.

And as someone who lives in the Fairbanks area; for a vacation I'd definitely recommend staying down south.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top