Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2017 10:09:43 PM EDT
Hey all-
Signed up for a two day pistol class from Larry Vickers in a couple of months and will need about 1000 rounds of ammo.
9mm, 115gr FMJ guessing.
Usually I have been using the yellow box UMC, 250 count stuff for like $70/box; so about $280 for the required quantity.
No complaints about it at all.***
Shopping at Midway and they have Magtech on sale for $210/1000 rounds.
But..., I've never used it; reviews on Midway and youtube seem to indicate that it's pretty good.
I carry Hornady Critical Duty +P and would of course prefer in a perfect world to take that to the class and shoot it, but at a smidge over 98¢/round, that ain't happening.
I don't want to show up with unreliable junk that flies off randomly when it does go bang.
Any thoughts on it?
Other suggestions?

***Well, that's not completely true. It has a nasty habit of hitting where I end up pointing it instead of where I WANT it to go.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Its always been good stuff for me, but I usually buy it in .30 carbine.  I don't recall any complaints from anyone about it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used the Magtech .380 ammo. I find it to be on the dirty side, slightly underpowered and less accurate than more name brand ammo usually is. It isn't as bad in any aspect I mentioned as say the cheap Russian ammo that is out there. For your purpose it will likely work well enough. Just find a box or two to try first to be sure you will be satisfied with it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have shot a bunch of Magtech 9mm and I bet you find it more than accurate enough if you do your part.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at Freedom Munitions, I've been shooting it for years.  Prolly save you $50 for 1000 rounds over what you currently use.

I have taken several pistol training courses, shoot competition with it in USPSA/IDPA and have had no problems using this ammo.
I would suggest you try it out first to make sure it works in your pistol before you go to the class.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:47:26 AM EDT
[#5]
My only comlplaint (this was several years ago FWIW) was that it's dirty.... really dirty. In a Glock and on the move, that might not matter.

In a more finnicky firearm susceptible to cleaning stoppages, it will matter. Accuracy will be more than sufficient for a combat pistol course IMO.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I've shot good deal of it in 9mm without issues. Blazer brass is my other "go to" for cheap range ammo.  
Check out SGammo, or target sports USA for a little better deals than midway. I've ordered from both and have always had good luck with them.
Seller-bellot  is good stuff too. A little hotter than the blazer and magtech, I'd buy a case at that price for sure if I needed ammo right now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:10:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the tula that is under $8 a box at walmart.

But I'm not fancy enough for Larry Vickers.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top