Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2017 9:25:39 AM EDT
Ok, so we're headed up to TC next week (second year in a row) for family Vacay.  Last year we had some great eats (Poppy Cocks, Mama Lu's, etc.).  Any recommendations for really good (not expensive) restaurants?  We plan on stopping at Woody's Oasis in E. Lansing on the way up there and in Frankenmuth for a big chicken dinner on the way back.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
If expensive is out, don't let anybody talk you into Boones (it's worth it, but expect $50+/plate).

Great burgers, head to Bubba's.  Best Burger in the state IMHO - http://www.tcbubbas.com/

Paesano's is decent Pizza, nothing to call home about, but probably the best in TC - http://www.paesanospizza.com/

Breakfast places - Rounds Restaurant, classical greasey spoon, great breakfast.  Flapjack Shack is a pretty good mass quantities place as well

Fish - Apache Trout Grille hands down - http://www.apachetroutgrill.com/

Italian - Tratoria - https://www.offthemaphospitality.com/trattoria-stella/

If there is some other type of cuisine you're looking for lemme know.  I've eaten most places there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool.  Poppycock's and Mama Lu's are givens.   Spanglish looks pretty good for lunch.  How's Georgina's and Harvest?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take Harvest over Georgina's.  Georgina's is too expensive for what you get and honestly I just felt like nothing really "went" together.  It's worth a try though.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Try this http://www.jollypumpkin.com/jp/traverse-city-brewery

Great food, not expensive and they micro-brew and micro-distill.

nummy nummy

Slow Smoked Pulled Pork Nachos
corn tortilla chips, pepperjack cheese, tomato, chipotle & black bean salsa, cilantro-lime sour cream $11
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I like North Peak Brewing, The Blue Tractor and The Jolly Pumpkin.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Blue Tractor is really good.

Blue Tractor Cook Shop
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Blue Tractor was good up until about 2 years back, they are off my TC restaurant rotation when i get back home now (and i gave them a third chance last week)

Taqueria TC Latino for good, cheap, legit tacos
Trattoria Stella for Italian (although theres a new place on Park St. downtown that looks interesting)
Slabtown for burgers
Rounds for breakfast
Folgarellis for a great deli sandwich
Sparks BBQ
Pangea for pizza
Grand Traverse Distillery for Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, and Rum (and F*** TC Whiskey Co with a dull rusty spoon)

Asian cuisine is this towns weak spot. On the flip side we've got some of the best breweries in the state.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue Tractor was good up until about 2 years back, they are off my TC restaurant rotation when i get back home now (and i gave them a third chance last week)

Taqueria TC Latino for good, cheap, legit tacos
Trattoria Stella for Italian (although theres a new place on Park St. downtown that looks interesting)
Slabtown for burgers
Rounds for breakfast
Folgarellis for a great deli sandwich
Sparks BBQ
Pangea for pizza
Grand Traverse Distillery for Whiskey, Gin, Vodka, and Rum (and F*** TC Whiskey Co with a dull rusty spoon)

Asian cuisine is this towns weak spot. On the flip side we've got some of the best breweries in the state.
View Quote
Talked myself into taking the kids to Blue Tractor for lunch today. It was a great meal and reasonably priced for a tourist town.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Talked myself into taking the kids to Blue Tractor for lunch today. It was a great meal and reasonably priced for a tourist town.
View Quote
Possible that the kitchen just had another bad day when i was there then i guess. My sandwich was not great, but the sweet potato fries on the side good, go figure. The older couple sitting behind us were giving the waitress so much grief about their meal that i couldn't bring myself to point out that my sandwhich was on stale bread that hadnt been toasted as described on the menu, and the cheese was american instead of cheddar.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
GREAT TRIP!!!!  Freakin' tired though.

First night we got up there and kids were tired from traveling, so after checking in at the hotel (West Bay Beach), I went out and got Culver's.  Never had it before and holy shit, that has to be the best fast food I've ever had.  I've had way worse burgers from fancier places, that's for damn sure.

Some of the restaurants we hit...

Poppycock's.  Great food, never disappoints.  Very friendly staff.
Bluebird in Leland.  Ok.  Fish sandwich was fresh, but otherwise "meh"
Taqueria TC.  Pretty damned good.  I had the carne tacos.  Very good.  Sides were ok.  Choriqueso was lacking in the "Chori" dept.
Cupa Joes.  Pretty good sandwiches.  Coffee was ok.  Too many hipsters though, and we didn't like the Village at Traverse Commons.  I know this sounds crazy, but the whole family got some "bad vibes" there...like to the point of feeling ill.  Very unsettled/creepy feeling.  Couldn't wait to leave.  Pleasanton bakery wasn't bad and didn't give the "creepy vibe".  Amazing bread sticks there.
Moomers Ice Cream. FUCK YEAH!!  ICE CREAM!!!
Boone Docks in Glen Arbor.  Nice, cool little place.  Burgers were .  Culver's had WAY better burgers.
Milk and honey  ICE CREAM!!!!!  Hey, we hit the the Sleeping Bear dune climb three days in a row, we earned it.

We didn't hit as many restaurants as we initially planned, but it was a wonderful trip!
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 11:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GREAT TRIP!!!!  Freakin' tired though.

First night we got up there and kids were tired from traveling, so after checking in at the hotel (West Bay Beach), I went out and got Culver's.  Never had it before and holy shit, that has to be the best fast food I've ever had.  I've had way worse burgers from fancier places, that's for damn sure.

Some of the restaurants we hit...

Poppycock's.  Great food, never disappoints.  Very friendly staff.
Bluebird in Leland.  Ok.  Fish sandwich was fresh, but otherwise "meh"
Taqueria TC.  Pretty damned good.  I had the carne tacos.  Very good.  Sides were ok.  Choriqueso was lacking in the "Chori" dept.
Cupa Joes.  Pretty good sandwiches.  Coffee was ok.  Too many hipsters though, and we didn't like the Village at Traverse Commons.  I know this sounds crazy, but the whole family got some "bad vibes" there...like to the point of feeling ill.  Very unsettled/creepy feeling.  Couldn't wait to leave.  Pleasanton bakery wasn't bad and didn't give the "creepy vibe".  Amazing bread sticks there.
Moomers Ice Cream. FUCK YEAH!!  ICE CREAM!!!
Boone Docks in Glen Arbor.  Nice, cool little place.  Burgers were .  Culver's had WAY better burgers.
Milk and honey  ICE CREAM!!!!!  Hey, we hit the the Sleeping Bear dune climb three days in a row, we earned it.

We didn't hit as many restaurants as we initially planned, but it was a wonderful trip!
View Quote
My parents literally live across the street from the Dune Climb. We were there all last week. 
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:03:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My parents literally live across the street from the Dune Climb. We were there all last week. 
View Quote
Nice!  If it weren't for the winters we'd move there in a heartbeat!  We also noticed a LOT more Spartan gear than Wolverine

ETA how could I forget?  The last night we got sandwiches from Fogarelli's.  They got "mobsters" and I got a "Godfather".  Freakin' awesome!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I know I am late to the game..when we go up there for son's Hockey Tourney's, we like stopping in at 7 Monks.

Link: http://www.7monkstap.com/
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 1:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
J&S Hamburg for breakfast, great little diner

Bubba's Burgers for lunch/dinner, great food and drink
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top