Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2017 8:43:56 PM EDT
A good friend of mine who lives in Lapeer and spends a lot of time shooting and cleaning up the Pit found an article about it in his local paper.... Long story short, two things are going on-the locals have been making a shit ton of noise complaints and the State is going to be doing sound testing.

One the noise complaints, it sounds like the neighbors are making them even when there isn't an issue with shooting times but the DNR is tired of dealing with the problem. The sound tests will happen on the 17th where they are going to shut the range down for the day and do god knows what, but according to the article they are looking at this with an eye on either moving the range or shutting it down.

If having this range is I'm portent to you, it might be time to start writing letters and making phone calls. I only get out to the Pit once a year or so since I got my land, but I have fond memories of past trips out there for fun shoots and getting together with friends. It would be a real shame to lose this place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
This is really a shame.  But really comes as no surprise.

Assholes buys homes next to the pit after the pit has been there for years, and then file complaints every time someone fires a shot.   This seems to be a ongoing problem with establishments that predate homes for decades.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 10:50:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I am honestly, surprised it lasted this long.

Get some addresses, links, etc...we can carpet bomb the decision makers.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 8:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Now that I live in the area, I might have to check the infamous Pit out.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Step 1   Buy house next to Pig Farm
Step 2   Complain about smell
Step 3   Profit
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't know why they aren't busting these people for making false reports. They had a sheriff there a couple times at 7pm with no shots fired at the pit, but they still got calls for people shooting at the pit.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 1:29:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Step 1   Buy house next to Pig Farm
Step 2   Complain about smell
Step 3   Profit
View Quote
You're a little off on the way of the ARFCOM steps.

Step 1: buy a house next to a pig farm
Step 2: complain about smell
Step 3: ?
Step 4: profit
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You're a little off on the way of the ARFCOM steps.

Step 1: buy a house next to a pig farm
Step 2: complain about smell
Step 3: ?
Step 4: profit
View Quote
Not to get off the subject but Michigan right to farm stops people from doing this.  The farm was there first and can't be stopped for having odor.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure how it affects state run ranges, IIRC there's law that written awhile back that protects existing clubs under the provision that people are knowingly moving near the range.

Funny thing about the hog farm example.  I know of a place that does trap and sporting clays located across the street from a hog farm.  The neighbors want the fancy guntry club shut down mainly because they hated the owner more than anything else.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not sure how it affects state run ranges, IIRC there's law that written awhile back that protects existing clubs under the provision that people are knowingly moving near the range.

Funny thing about the hog farm example.  I know of a place that does trap and sporting clays located across the street from a hog farm.  The neighbors want the fancy guntry club shut down mainly because they hated the owner more than anything else.
View Quote
While there is a law of sorts out there, it didn't protect several ranges in the areas.   DNR had to change a lot of rules at Pontiac Lake due to the Lotus and Maceday Lake Owners Associations suing, protesting, and what not.  They had to install various sound baffling systems that now makes it unbearable for the shooter.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the noise study over yet?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is the noise study over yet?
View Quote
Last I talked to my friend, they had moved the day to come test. Don't know any more than that.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:06:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Any update on the situation there?
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#13]
They won't be happy until they wreck it for all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top